Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 AM

29 posts, read 46,383 times

Advertisements

Here are some scary trends in hiring being brought up in the recruiters group I belong to:

Many of these things are done unoffically of course

1) Bring in everyone at once for in basket exercises and presentations. That way we can see how one person looks like in comparison to another and how well applicants work together in group projects.

2) Check everyone's references before the interview

3) Background checks and employment verifications before the interview

4) Have everyone fill out a hour long pre interview application and testing and then only accept resumes from people who graduated High School since 1995.

5) Eliminate everyone who has a name that sounds ethnic or is hard to pronounce.

6) Only select men or women for interviews because they are looking for people who will fit in the organization based on current demographics.

7) Video interviews so we can eliminate people who don't fit the image of the company.

8) Require a college degree for administrative support positions

9) Stress interviews to see how potential employees will work with difficult managers and team members

Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,146,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Resources Expert View Post
Here are some scary trends in hiring being brought up in the recruiters group I belong to:

1) Bring in everyone at once for in basket exercises and presentations. That way we can see how one person looks like in comparison to another and how well applicants work together in group projects.

2) Check everyone's references before the interview

3) Background checks and employment verifications before the interview

4) Have everyone fill out a hour long pre interview application and testing and then only accept resumes from people who graduated High School since 1995.

5) Eliminate everyone who has a name that sounds ethnic or is hard to pronounce.

6) Only select men or women for interviews because they are looking for people who will fit in the organization based on current demographics.

7) Video interviews so we can eliminate people who don't fit the image of the company.

8) Require a college degree for administrative support positions

9) Stress interviews to see how potential employees will work with difficult managers and team members
This may be a trend in your industry, Or a few specific industries esp corporate white collar ones. No doubt the screening overall is more stringent for the labor force today though.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:56 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,207,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Resources Expert View Post

Can you explain to me how you guys would understand the presentations being presented in order to ascertain whether they were relevant and well thought? What's a basket exercise?

eta: I also guess you people do not work for international organizations if you fear ethnic sounding names. And we wonder why the US is trailing is the most important measures globally for western nations.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:39 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,832 times
Cynthia Shapiro mentions all these things. There not trends. They have been quietly practiced for at least 20 years now.Especially in white collar corporate sectors. Anyone who thinks this is news has lived under rock or in a small town of 100 people in the Ozark Mountains. Seriously? LOL. Some things aren't fair but I can see why they're done. A few things like "Have everyone fill out a hour long pre interview application and testing and then only accept resumes from people who graduated High School since 1995." If I suspect you use this tactic in screening I have absolutely no interest in filling out an hour long application only to be eliminated because of my age.You are biased. Your client is biased. You will be missing out on some good people. You've lost my total respect and I would never refer anyone to your agency or client company. The one about ethnic names is also hateful. I suspect you have other prejudices that maybe you're not revealing. Your list completely justifies my exit from corporate in 2001. Thanks for reminding me I made a prudent decision. By the way, many ethnic sounding people change their names when they get married or become citizens specifically because of this practice. But hey, I am college educated, well traveled, well read and my English is grammatically better than many I've worked with in the business sector. You would never know I'm "ethnic." LOL. But as an HR puppet you've "got to do what you've got to do."LOL. (Really?!?)LOL.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 AM

10,835 posts, read 14,946,488 times
It's worse than you thought.

Henninger: 2012's Sure Losers—Young People - WSJ.com

Quote:
Henninger: 2012's Sure Losers—Young People

Hi, I'm Marty and I'll be your waiter for the next 40 years.

Let's revise the old saw about how people are politically liberal when they're young and conservative as they grow older. It's beginning to seem truer to say that when you're young, you are basically nothing.

Yes, it's true that opinion polls show Barack Obama holds a strong lead over Mitt Romney among voters under 30. Does this mean they all cleared time to watch the presidential debates? I doubt it. More likely a lot of young "voters" had something better to do, such as using that 90 minutes to re-watch re-runs of "Everybody Loves Raymond" on the TV Land channel.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,837,303 times
I'm certain the pay-scale for such jobs dropped at least another ten cents since this came out.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:52 AM

It's interesting about the HS part of the application. When I filled out mine, which was after I was hired for the purpose of a background check, I skipped filling in any information about my HS creds. It's unnecessary information in my line of work at least, so I didn't bother with it and nobody asked about it.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:55 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,525,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It's interesting about the HS part of the application. When I filled out mine, which was after I was hired for the purpose of a background check, I skipped filling in any information about my HS creds. It's unnecessary information in my line of work at least, so I didn't bother with it and nobody asked about it.
Same with me.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:00 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,247,938 times
Weekend Traveler? Is that you? Where have you been, old friend?

Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
Weekend Traveler? Is that you? Where have you been, old friend?
I thought the same, tho, I would like to see what the real HR people on this forum have to say about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.