Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,602,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Humans need down time to recharge their batteries. In between jobs is the best time for this. Then they are recharged for the new job. I would rather have a fully recharged candidate than someone that spent all their time in training and is going to be burnt out and might not have enough energy to dedicate to the new job.
This is an issue that is not often addressed. It takes a lot of positive emotional energy to job hunt. But if you've just been laid off, along with many of your coworkers, you're reeling! Depending on your situation and how long you were at the company, you may have to go through a sort of mourning period. Some people can bounce back and start job hunting right away, but for others there needs to be a break. I was so turned off by corporate America that it was a good 3 months before I was ready to start interviewing again. It's not that I didn't do anything in that time period -- I did go to workshops at the out placement center, but if you're not ready, you're not ready.

OP, please report back to us your experience after you've been laid off with thousands of others, and are now competing with your former coworkers for the few jobs that are out there. I'd love to know how YOU would face the stigma of the long-term unemployed. It's one thing to SAY what you might do (while you're still employed), but another thing entirely to follow through on it.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,439,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
I work in Human Resources and spend a good percent of my time in recruiting and staffing. (As well as training) and have become very frustrated in the lack of skills most job candidates have selling themselves.

The long term unemployed job candidates are usually unemployed for a reason, they can't sell themselves! Here is a question I ask nearly every unemployed candidate and almost everyone gives a very poor answer:

"I see you are not working right now, what are you doing to stay busy every day while you look for a job, outside of job hunting?"

Most people will say they are watching lots of television, playing with the computer, and bumming around town. Or they will insist that they are spending 12 hours a day looking for work. WRONG ANSWER! What they should say is they are totally devoted to their chosen career and they are doing everything possible to learn new skills so they will be more productive once they go back to work.

Agree or disagree?
I'm gainfully employed and have been my whole adult life, but if I was desperate for work and someone asked me what I was doing in my spare time, I'd tell them what they wanted to hear even if it wasn't the truth.

At least the people telling you that they're watching TV or bumming around town are being honest. The ones who say they're spending 8 hours a day learning new skills are lying to you.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,779,372 times
I think you're right to call BS on the story about looking for work 12 hours a day. Someone who is long-term unemployed, which I would define as greater than three months, would not be able to keep that up without either finding something or giving up.

At the other extreme are those who are only making minimal effort to find work, since that is usually required in order to keep receiving benefits. Playing video games or watching TV all day is not helpful.

I don't think the OP is suggesting they devote 8 or more hours a day to preparing to re-enter the workforce. They'd simply like to see some effort, whether it be volunteering, reading trade journals or whatever will keep them engaged in their field.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 AM

639 posts, read 1,078,376 times
I think a lot depends on how much they need new job skills in their situation. If you're a lawyer for example, there aren't really that many new job skills out there that you should be acquiring. The issue with them is mainly the lack of jobs. In the other extreme, if you're in IT then there are always a million new things you could familiarize yourself with to make yourself more employable.

And who the hell would tell an interviewer they sit around watching TV all day? I find it hard to believe anyone says that.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:44 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,396,315 times
Quote:
I work in Human Resources and spend a good percent of my time in recruiting and staffing. (As well as training) and have become very frustrated in the lack of skills most job candidates have selling themselves.

The long term unemployed job candidates are usually unemployed for a reason, they can't sell themselves! Here is a question I ask nearly every unemployed candidate and almost everyone gives a very poor answer:

"I see you are not working right now, what are you doing to stay busy every day while you look for a job, outside of job hunting?"

Most people will say they are watching lots of television, playing with the computer, and bumming around town. Or they will insist that they are spending 12 hours a day looking for work. WRONG ANSWER! What they should say is they are totally devoted to their chosen career and they are doing everything possible to learn new skills so they will be more productive once they go back to work.

Agree or disagree?
Completely disagree. Most people are not comfortable selling themselves, and most people who are long term unemployed are struggling with constant rejection. They are trying to get a JOB, not have a chosen career (which is a luxury at this point).
If they are long term unemployed, do not assume that they or the government have the means to aquire new "skills" whatever that means. Do not expect people to know software that has been designed just for your company.
The long term unemployed are unemployed because of the worst job market in decades. It's been hard on a lot of people, so don't be nasty or assume the worst about them. A lot of people have lost their homes, retirement savings, etc. and are trying their best under very trying times.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM

318 posts, read 569,285 times
They better start learning how to sell themselves because every month they are unemployed they are less and less marketable.

Just applying for any job is no way to get hired. Employers want people who are committed to a certain career field and generally won't hire someone who used to be in some other line of work but will accept a job doing X because they are desparate.

There is an unlimited number of things anyone can learn in their chosen career while they are unemployed at no cost because of the Internet and libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Completely disagree. Most people are not comfortable selling themselves, and most people who are long term unemployed are struggling with constant rejection. They are trying to get a JOB, not have a chosen career (which is a luxury at this point).
If they are long term unemployed, do not assume that they or the government have the means to aquire new "skills" whatever that means. Do not expect people to know software that has been designed just for your company.
The long term unemployed are unemployed because of the worst job market in decades. It's been hard on a lot of people, so don't be nasty or assume the worst about them. A lot of people have lost their homes, retirement savings, etc. and are trying their best under very trying times.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,396,315 times
Spock, I took a look at your other posts. You really take the "human" out of human resources. Maybe you should be changing careers yourself.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM

314 posts, read 628,441 times
Then it's better to just be straightforward on the job advert and state that unemployed applicants should have been enhancing their professional skills in various and specified ways before applying. Just keep in mind that learning new professional skills costs money and professional certificate programs are limited.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,727,780 times
Quote:
Everything is fair game in the evaluation of the candidates for employment unless there is a law about it. If you are a business leader getting the most talented and hard working candidates as possible is the most important part of your job. Finding out what potential employees do in their free time while unemployed tells you a lot about their motivations and career progress.
Wow, this is scary coming from a HR rep. Thank you for proving why we NEED employment laws in this country. So in your opinion it would be perfectly acceptable to ask someone about their sex lives, abortion, gay marriage, etc? After all, it's not against the law.

I do agree that people showing that they're trying to improve themselves is an extreme plus, but there could a lot of reasons why they can't do that. If someone is flat broke they're likely not going to be going back to school. Simple survival become goal number one. There are people so destitute that they're living in the car, so watching TV or playing on the computer all day would be a step up in their world.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 AM

318 posts, read 569,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
Then it's better to just be straightforward on the job advert and state that unemployed applicants should have been enhancing their professional skills in various and specified ways before applying. Just keep in mind that learning new professional skills costs money and professional certificate programs are limited.
If you have access to the library or the Internet there is an incredible amount of the things that you can learn about jrelated to about any career, so please stop saying professional development is always expensive.

How about improving your Microsoft Office Skills? Typing Skills? Writing Skills? The list could go on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search