Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,375,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
What they should say is they are totally devoted to their chosen career and they are doing everything possible to learn new skills so they will be more productive once they go back to work.

Agree or disagree?
Disagree. I believe this is highly dependent on your area of expertise. My job requires hands-on training. You need to learn how to run things. You can't run them without being able to use them. How am I supposed to do this without having access to the instrumentation? Even if I was a volunteer somewhere, most places will not allow you to touch the instrumentation unless you work there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
If you have access to the library or the Internet there is an incredible amount of the things that you can learn about jrelated to about any career, so please stop saying professional development is always expensive.

How about improving your Microsoft Office Skills? Typing Skills? Writing Skills? The list could go on and on.
My field does not require any use of Microsoft Office. Ever. (Okay, perhaps that's a bit hyperbolic but most people in my field will not need to use it.) However, I'm probably one of the most competent people at my job when it comes to using the software. I also type faster than everyone I work with (90+ WPM) and I also write better than most of the people I work with---as ridiculous as it sounds, I probably write better than most people in my field. And guess what? My line of work couldn't care less about it.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM

74 posts, read 182,500 times
The problem that I've seen with hiring managers, no offense to the OP because my brother is in HR as well, but they seem to often be hired straight out of college (like my brother was) with little to no understanding of how life in the real world actually works.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,392,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
And that is what its all about; just telling HR what they want to hear. Doesn't really matter if you are living it or not. Its all about presentation and the best liar could win the job.

The position I held for a solid five years was obtained, not through honesty, hard work or education attainment but rather a well rehearsed set of balled faced lies to a hiring manager and HR rep who I chalked up to being human filth and so far beneath me that it was easy to manipulate them into telling me what I wanted to hear.

Once you have the interview just verbally sell yourself despite the fact that absolutely none of what you have told them is the truth. Your job at the moment is obtaining the job, everything else can be dealt with after you have landed it.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,529,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Wow OP you have a terrible sense of entitlement, but then again I expect that in HR because most HR people are incompetent.

I have been looking for a job but I also do freelance work, I take classes online and do a lot of volunteering but yet this isn't enough for many employers, probably ones like you. Often I don't get interviews only to find out the person who got it was a complete moron. I can't help but wonder if you are overlooking someone like me to hire a moron, likely because they are younger or perhaps because they are cute.
I likewise do freelance work and manage family owned real estate, which is income. I am currently in the process of renewing my realtor license and will probably go for the brokerage license, as that obviously has a better profit margin. When not doing all that, I help out needy unemployed neighbors, friends and others in my vicinity by educating them on their legal rights with respect to applying for benefits, evictions, court issues, and addressing other community social services. I consider myself a self appointed community advocate. I am present at the local council and board meetings.

Why real estate now? Because I already have 2 years experience, as I weathered the Great Recession. In real estate? No HR like you, no resumes, references or any crazy personality tests. No jumping through hoops or doing handstands. Just my experience, my piece of paper (license) and most importantly, my presentation skills. That's it folks. So I've got a plan B.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:39 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,413,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Wow OP you have a terrible sense of entitlement, but then again I expect that in HR because most HR people are incompetent.

I have been looking for a job but I also do freelance work, I take classes online and do a lot of volunteering but yet this isn't enough for many employers, probably ones like you. Often I don't get interviews only to find out the person who got it was a complete moron. I can't help but wonder if you are overlooking someone like me to hire a moron, likely because they are younger or perhaps because they are cute.
That's why I say even if the government did everything right we would still have a problem of people being out of work. It's employers who are to blame.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,528,861 times
After reading all of this it sounds to me more like the op is not capable of writing the most effective job posting to attract the skill set needed.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:24 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,735,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think you're a troll. If something doesn't make sense it isn't true.

Unless you're interviewing teenagers for their first job in fast food I find it very hard to believe that ANYONE with half a brain would say "I watch a lot of television or bumming around town".....my gut tells me you started this thread to bash the unemployed.
The original poster has posted this same stuff dozens of times under multiple screen names going back years (s/he was Old Tired Man until a couple of weeks ago). Don't take it seriously.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,109,517 times
Anyone with confidence in their abilities to get a job should END THE INTERVIEW if they were ever asked......."so what have you been doing?"

Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,311,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Here in Philadelphia, there are over 50 places that offer free computer training which was just started last year by the Mayor.

If I had known about I would have went while I was unemployed for maybe a day a week but I never knew anything about it.
Actually in Pa, the Pa Career Link centers through out the state offer free computer classes (basics through advanced), resume writing services, and in many cases job placement. A good friend of mine works for them as a recruiter and would say many of the same things the OP has stated. She says the biggest mistake that the un-employed make is sitting home applying for jobs on-line. In fact most job openings do not get advertised or even placed on company web-sites. Most jobs are filled by those that knew someone that already was employed by the company, so net-working is critical in finding a decent paying job. Volunteering is also a valuable tool during the time frame that one is seeking a job. Even though what one does is no one else s business, unfortunately potential employers do not always see it that way.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,715,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
And that is what its all about; just telling HR what they want to hear. Doesn't really matter if you are living it or not. Its all about presentation and the best liar could win the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
The position I held for a solid five years was obtained, not through honesty, hard work or education attainment but rather a well rehearsed set of balled faced lies to a hiring manager and HR rep who I chalked up to being human filth and so far beneath me that it was easy to manipulate them into telling me what I wanted to hear.

Once you have the interview just verbally sell yourself despite the fact that absolutely none of what you have told them is the truth. Your job at the moment is obtaining the job, everything else can be dealt with after you have landed it.
The only people who have to lie during job interviews are those that lack the competence to qualify for the job based on their own merit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search