Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,037,280 times

Advertisements

Some of the responses here confirm what I said, and this is coming from a skinny guy who knows that genetics play a big role in weight and health in general.

Since we can't have "disgusting" people in the workplace, the list of who needs to go can get rather long, can't it? For example, cancer patients are "disgusting" with their drugs and hair loss, old people are "disgusting" with their wrinkled flesh and blotchy skin... how far do we want to go with this? Where do we draw the line? Shall we just turn the workplace into Logan's Run, where the old, sick, and "useless" go off to Carrousel since they are not "worthy." I wonder how many of the judgmental here will eventually end up in a position to be judged? Ah, irony!

Old 08-26-2013, 06:30 PM

788 posts, read 1,249,536 times
What is surprising that apparently being overweight is now genetic. Well, so people claim.
But how come America is so much fatter than the rest of the world, except for a few nations? How come the world is so much more overweight now than it has ever been?

Old 08-26-2013, 06:58 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
What is surprising that apparently being overweight is now genetic. Well, so people claim.
But how come America is so much fatter than the rest of the world, except for a few nations?
Big macs and cars.

Travel to Europe and you won't see any fatties. I visited Germany for three weeks about 5 years ago, and I actually counted the number of morbidly obese people while I was there using my fingers. I didn't even need to use my second hand, and that's no exaggeration. They don't eat the garbage that we do (hardly any fast food places), and their cities/towns are set up so that people just walk everywhere. Most of their day to day moving around is done on foot, while cars are mainly used for weekend getaways. That's pretty much it.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 PM

23,549 posts, read 24,057,818 times
Most companies will believe that an obese person will have a higher medical insurance liability. That aspect may be the key in the hiring decision.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,748,398 times
I also interviewed at a Process Eng company and the Sr Mech Eng interviewing me was severely obese. He was wearing a polo shirt but he looked very unprofessional to me.

An obese Office Temp was hired at Pentair to do some data entry / Excel. She kept eating while at the job. She didn't last long.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,863,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
But how come America is so much fatter than the rest of the world, except for a few nations? How come the world is so much more overweight now than it has ever been?

Processed foods, an unethical FDA, and a lack of appropriate exercise are three really good reasons.

If you take in more calories than you burn, you're eventually going to be overweight. 100 calories in the positive once a day, and you'll be 10 pounds heavier at the end of the year.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Most companies will believe that an obese person will have a higher medical insurance liability. That aspect may be the key in the hiring decision.

This is particularly true if the company is self-insured.

And the reality is that an obese person likely will suffer health issues that a person who invests in their own fitness may not. Those health issues may also keep the obese person away from work. There was a morbidly obese person at my last company who had a desk job, smoked, and at age 38 needed a double hip replacement. If he were to stay until retirement age at that same company, he would likely need another round of hip replacements due to the originals wearing out.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,676 times
I've worked with obese teachers and honestly, some are good, and some don't have the energy to teach. One teaches the whole day from her desk-me, I never sat at my desk when I was teaching, and most good teachers don't. I am "average size" and exhausted after a day at work. My daughter had a morbidly obese teacher who ate chips and candy all day and drank mountain dew while she taught from her desk. The kids ran her errands, got things from the printer, wrote assignments on the board, etc. I don't think that's right.
When I was a waitress in college, staff areas are often small, and an obese person can slow down others who can't get on the work line until the large person is done with their task-slowed everyone else down.
My former post office-worker at the counter was very large and sat at a stool all day. Whenever he needed something-he'd call another worker over. When I brought in packages, he'd leave them on the counter and call others over to take them. Was he doing his job? I don't think so.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I've worked with obese teachers and honestly, some are good, and some don't have the energy to teach. One teaches the whole day from her desk-me, I never sat at my desk when I was teaching, and most good teachers don't. I am "average size" and exhausted after a day at work. My daughter had a morbidly obese teacher who ate chips and candy all day and drank mountain dew while she taught from her desk. The kids ran her errands, got things from the printer, wrote assignments on the board, etc. I don't think that's right.
When I was a waitress in college, staff areas are often small, and an obese person can slow down others who can't get on the work line until the large person is done with their task-slowed everyone else down.
My former post office-worker at the counter was very large and sat at a stool all day. Whenever he needed something-he'd call another worker over. When I brought in packages, he'd leave them on the counter and call others over to take them. Was he doing his job? I don't think so.
......and unfortunately, as you age, a desk job is practically a death sentence unless you have an active lifestyle and fitness plan outside the office.

I had a teacher just like the one your daughter did. She could barely make it through the day, and when we made the 600-foot march to the lunch room, she was winded. I feel for people that are obese. I'm the type of guy that works out 5 days a week at the gym, and there's times that I'm really tired as well. But obese people certainly can impact a workforce, especially if it is a production environment.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:59 PM

465 posts, read 508,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
That's a terrible assumption to make.

I actually have a medical condition where the SIDE EFFECT of the condition is obesity. My condition is not a side effect of obesity, obesity is a side affect of my condition. I have to work twice as hard as a "normal" person, be TWICE as diligent, etc, just to maintain my weight. Meetings are full of bagels, cookies, and donuts but I can't/don't partake in them. Even when my coworkers say "one donut won't hurt" I have to say "yes it does." I am not grossely overweight, my doctor is happy with my weight given my condition, but I am still overweight.

I also work out 2-4 times a week and hike on weekends, and I will never be thin unless I stop eating (even then it'd take a while), but I can guarantee I have more self control than a thin person.

Maybe not all people overweight because of a medical condition, but IMO food is the worst addiction to have. At least you don't need to drink alcohol or snort cocaine to live and therefore can overcome that addiction, unlike food which you need to eat to live.
I have two conditions that cause obesity and even on medications it's one of the worst cases (his words) he's seen i've lost 20 lbs. in about a year but it's very hard to lose weight even with me being 150+ pounds overweight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search