Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,232 times

Advertisements

I have never had to lie about where I lived.

I tell them that I'm ready to move and in fact, my place is already packed and waiting for the truck (true)
I then SHOW UP in person for the interview and have solid information on where I'm going to live when I get there after being offered a position.

I've already done my homework and have information on apartments and have reserved one already. I do this any time I'm moving out of state.

One helpful thing to do as well is to find some qualification that they need which most people lack at interview time and acquire it....even if it will have to be redone once in the new place.

It also doesn't hurt to bring your own DMV report, background check, credit check, special licenses etc. when you interview. They probably won't ask to see them but will be impressed that you came THAT prepared. It shows that you're very serious about the job.

Make it EASY for them to hire you.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:49 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,739,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Where did I saw anything about termination? I was talking about even being eligible for an interview and getting an offer. If I started working there, I would obviously move there.

And I disagree with you saying "I'm not the person I said I was." How does where I live determine who I am. It's irrelevant. It doesn't affect my job or employer and is none of their business. They can't prove that you did or didn't live anywhere either and don't care after you start.
you have many things to learn yet about being hired and how important a simple home address can be.

the part about lying on your application/resume was an example, any employer could fire you and simply say it was a breach of contract.

although in this situation what you think is happening and what is actually happening are two different things. perhaps you just dont have the muster these employers are looking for. many places dont care if you live 3 hrs away, if they dont offer relocation and you still want the job, they will ask you that in the first phone interview/contact...if you sweat things like this you probably will have a very hard time acquiring a job. good luck

Old 11-17-2013, 09:50 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I have never had to lie about where I lived.

I tell them that I'm ready to move and in fact, my place is already packed and waiting for the truck (true)
I then SHOW UP in person for the interview and have solid information on where I'm going to live when I get there after being offered a position.

I've already done my homework and have information on apartments and have reserved one already. I do this any time I'm moving out of state.

One helpful thing to do as well is to find some qualification that they need which most people lack at interview time and acquire it....even if it will have to be redone once in the new place.

It also doesn't hurt to bring your own DMV report, background check, credit check, special licenses etc. when you interview. They probably won't ask to see them but will be impressed that you came THAT prepared. It shows that you're very serious about the job.

Make it EASY for them to hire you.
They will do their own background check on you, not use "yours." If you bring anything, it should be performance reviews and examples of your work.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
you have many things to learn yet about being hired and how important a simple home address can be.

the part about lying on your application/resume was an example, any employer could fire you and simply say it was a breach of contract.
although in this situation what you think is happening and what is actually happening are two different things. perhaps you just dont have the muster these employers are looking for. many places dont care if you live 3 hrs away, if they dont offer relocation and you still want the job, they will ask you that in the first phone interview/contact...if you sweat things like this you probably will have a very hard time acquiring a job. good luck
[url=http://www.careerealism.com/applying-out-of-state-job/]Applying For An Out-Of-State Job | CAREEREALISM[/url]

I think YOU have a lot to learn. I though this was common knowledge. A simple google or forum search would reveal this. Many career websites actually advise people to change their address to a local one! Wake up man!

Amazing how I have the "muster" to get local interviews but not out of state. Does "muster" not cross state lines. As I already explained, I had an interview with this company, but they changed their mind when they discovered I lived out of state. and as I also already explained once, they can't prove or aren't going to care about where you used to live after you already started working for them and moved here anyways. And as the topic of my thread explains, I have an interview with another company in this city, but coincidently, this was the resume I put a local address on.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:10 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,232 times
Quote:
They will do their own background check on you, not use "yours." If you bring anything, it should be performance reviews and examples of your work.
DUH! I KNOW that, but they are impressed that you came prepared with them....if you go back and read my statement, you will see that I said they probably won't even ask to see them.

You seem to not comprehend the point of doing that.

FWIW, any job that does require a background check has an element of unnecessary expense on the part of the employer due to failed background checks. Bringing one shows that most likely they aren't taking a chance....you will most likely pass the one they order.

I also suggest getting any licenses/permits that may be needed in that state for that job if any while still out of state....even getting a provisional whatever puts you ahead of the game and shows serious intent. The whole reason most employers are leery of out of state/town applicants is due to so many people wasting their time and resources getting the job offer then deciding NOT to move.

Do everything you can to show/prove that you're on your way!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I think YOU have a lot to learn.
Given that you've essentially dismissed all the responses which people have taken the time to write (and which I find perfectly logical), I'm confused as to why you asked the question in the first place.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:14 AM

476 posts, read 1,297,333 times
Never lie on a resume. If you get an offer, the offer will usually be conditional on the completion of a background check. The truth will come out and you will look shady. Most likely the offer will be withdrawn. I know of a situation where this exact thing happened. Very unfortunate for all involved. Additionally, when you are hired the company typically asks you to fill out forms like W4 etc where you have to report your address. What will you fill out if you don't have an address to put down immediately? Trust me you cannot beat the system by lying.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
DUH! I KNOW that, but they are impressed that you came prepared with them....if you go back and read my statement, you will see that I said they probably won't even ask to see them.

You seem to not comprehend the point of doing that.

FWIW, any job that does require a background check has an element of unnecessary expense on the part of the employer due to failed background checks. Bringing one shows that most likely they aren't taking a chance....you will most likely pass the one they order.

I also suggest getting any licenses/permits that may be needed in that state for that job if any while still out of state....even getting a provisional whatever puts you ahead of the game and shows serious intent. The whole reason most employers are leery of out of state/town applicants is due to so many people wasting their time and resources getting the job offer then deciding NOT to move.

Do everything you can to show/prove that you're on your way!
I've just never heard of that. I think they usually expect people to pass those checks and will get them anyways. Things like performance reviews are more relevant because that is something they do not ask for.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Given that you've essentially dismissed all the responses which people have taken the time to write (and which I find perfectly logical), I'm confused as to why you asked the question in the first place.
None of these responses dealt with my original question and some were just totally wrong (which I provided a link to show). Just because you reply to a post doesn't make you a certified expert on the topic.

[url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/999227-does-qualifying-lying-your-resume.html[/url]

Another link. Apparently I'm not the only one who is aware of this standard practice.

Last edited by jman07; 11-17-2013 at 10:27 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushiqueen View Post
Never lie on a resume. If you get an offer, the offer will usually be conditional on the completion of a background check. The truth will come out and you will look shady. Most likely the offer will be withdrawn. I know of a situation where this exact thing happened. Very unfortunate for all involved. Additionally, when you are hired the company typically asks you to fill out forms like W4 etc where you have to report your address. What will you fill out if you don't have an address to put down immediately? Trust me you cannot beat the system by lying.
I will use a friends address or just update my address just like other people do when they move.

What did the person lie about? Lying about a degree or employment is different. Background checks can't prove addresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search