Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 12:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,712,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
We all know the games HR plays. "Local candidates only", "must be presently employed", etc etc. Well after one instance where an employer was going to interview me through a head hunter, but decided not to because they wanted someone to start in 2 weeks (WHICH I COULD HAVE STARTED ANYWAYS. They just assumed I couldn't because I lived 3 hours away but didn't bother even asking!), I decided that I am going to just start putting down a local address.

Well I might at least have a phone interview soon with a company 3 hours away, and I put down a local address again. The problem is that I still have a job in my current city and just put down November as my last month, and told them I moved back this month already. My question is what happens if they call my employer and find out I still work in this city 3 hours away. I was thinking of just saying I go back on weekends because my girlfriend lives there. Will they even find out? If they do, would that be grounds to not hire me?

BTW employers, if you don't want to pay relocation costs or want someone to start in 2 weeks, JUST SAY IT ON THE APPLICATION!! Don't just not consider someone at all! HR makes me so mad sometimes! It makes me sick when I hear about how they can't find qualified candidates.
I would just be honest from the get go. Even if you are applying from out of state that necessarily isn't a bad thing. The company could be looking for someone on the outside.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:09 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
you can either consider my post a personalized attack, as you have, or you can try to listen to other peoples opinions, with that attitude it might hard to keep a job, let alone get one
So did you read the links or not?

Old 11-17-2013, 12:21 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
What if your application is immediately filtered out because of your address? I really suspect that's what has been happening with my applications that are more than a couple hours from where I live. How is someone supposed to read your cover letter if they don't get your application at all because it was trashed by their computer systems?

I don't know. I'm not sure I buy this completely. I've never had a problem getting interviews/jobs way out of state. Even as a recent grad with no work experience I at least got an HR interview, I never felt my app was immediately tossed.

It would be interesting to hear from someone in HR to know if this ACTUALLY happens. Perhaps they do read your app/resume but as a new candidate without much unique experience to offer, they might as well hire someone local with the same qualifications as yourself.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
I don't know. I'm not sure I buy this completely. I've never had a problem getting interviews/jobs way out of state. Even as a recent grad with no work experience I at least got an HR interview, I never felt my app was immediately tossed.

It would be interesting to hear from someone in HR to know if this ACTUALLY happens. Perhaps they do read your app/resume but as a new candidate without much unique experience to offer, they might as well hire someone local with the same qualifications as yourself.
This is what happens. I did searches already and people from HR said that exact same thing. That's why I didn't ask this question in my post, but we are hijacking my thread arguing over issues that already have an answer.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:30 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,655 times
Quote:
This is what happens. I did searches already and people from HR said that exact same thing. That's why I didn't ask this question in my post, but we are hijacking my thread arguing over issues that already have an answer.

They obviously don't do it for ALL companies/jobs/locations because many people are hired with out of town addresses all the time.

The point is - since they AREN'T tossing resumes based on address, there's no need to lie about one.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 11-18-2013 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: Removed unnecessary remark

Old 11-17-2013, 12:43 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,791,588 times
Couple of stories....

I knew a guy that applied to a city job that required you to be a resident of that city. He wasn't but his mother was so he used that address. The employer checks residency and he knew it. He changed his license, talked with mom's neighbors to cover for him if they asked if he lived with his mom etc.

It fell apart when they ran his wife's license and it came up a different address. Then they found utility accounts in his name at the wife's address. He was fired.

Next-

I am an employer that favors local candidates because they are more likely to become long term employees. We tried-many times-hiring other candidates and in nearly every case they quit within the year when they found employment closer to home. I am talking about commutes of an hour or more-not moving from out of state. They say they will move closer when hired but rarely do.

Why should I take that chance when there are qualified people already living here?

Old 11-17-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Couple of stories....

I knew a guy that applied to a city job that required you to be a resident of that city. He wasn't but his mother was so he used that address. The employer checks residency and he knew it. He changed his license, talked with mom's neighbors to cover for him if they asked if he lived with his mom etc.

It fell apart when they ran his wife's license and it came up a different address. Then they found utility accounts in his name at the wife's address. He was fired.

Next-

I am an employer that favors local candidates because they are more likely to become long term employees. We tried-many times-hiring other candidates and in nearly every case they quit within the year when they found employment closer to home. I am talking about commutes of an hour or more-not moving from out of state. They say they will move closer when hired but rarely do.

Why should I take that chance when there are qualified people already living here?
Jobs that require you to be a resident are different. Those are usually city jobs that actually do check those records. I'm not referring to those jobs so it doesn't apply. Additionally, your not required to be a resident of that city. Local means local to the area, not "have to live in the same city."

Your second point was interesting.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:
The headhunter said they wanted to interview me. He then called me later in the week and said they found out I lived out of state and want someone who could start in 2 weeks so they didn't want to interview me. So that's how I knew. Pretty straight forward.

And a lot of companies pay relocation costs. It's actually pretty standard for a lot of companies. Now obviously if your trying to be a cashier at Walmart, they aren't going to pay.
You said you could start in two weeks, did you tell this to the head hunter? Doesn't make sense.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You said you could start in two weeks, did you tell this to the head hunter? Doesn't make sense.
He assumed I wouldn't be able to start in two weeks because I lived out of state. They never even bothered asking and said if the other local candidate didn't work out they would think about it. I did tell the head hunter after he called me back and gave me the news.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:16 PM

769 posts, read 977,166 times
The sector I work on there is not many people who are being re-located due to funding cuts etc. I moved myself to SC. I negoitated a higher salary and the understand it might take me a couple of months to complete my affairs in previous state. Several trips back and forth to MD it was completed.

The move was worth it. I just got another raise and am making more than I did in DC. I am also getting a raise at the end of December and a salary increase due to insurance costs.

However, I work in highly specialized field that is very diffiult to fill those positions due to the stringent requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search