Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:39 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,116,362 times

Advertisements

Well what I consider a waist of time is a hiring manager calling me two weeks after the interview and when you tell them "I'm sorry but I received another offer and accepted " , then they have the nerve to ask you "well why ever did you do that ? " ugh , it is called having bills to pay and food to put on the table . I don't have time to wait two weeks for a company to make up its mind . If you want me you had better hire me in the next two or three days or Im onward and upward .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 07:51 AM

35,108 posts, read 31,388,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Forget cover letters and thank you notes. Networking is where it's at.

Some 70% of the currently employed can name one or more people who either guided them to, told them about, or advocated for them to have their current position.

Join professional organizations, Toastmasters.... Volunteer with Habitat for Humanity, help out with the Rotary's pancake breakfast...

The world is flat full of chances to prove what a dedicated, hard working, fast learner you are to those looking for employees/colleagues with those exact same qualities.
This leads to an endless loop of the unemployed never finding employment because no one will hire them due to their unemployment. This isn't healthy and leads to an unemployable dependent underclass.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,692,845 times
Quote:
Candidates who are employed are always more attractive to employers. Some employers will not even consider the application of a candidate who is currently unemployed.
Thing is, the former ones arent the ones who need jobs, its the latter ones.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 AM

35,108 posts, read 31,388,112 times
Quote:
Work experience comes from work.

Everyone and their dog Spot describe themselves as hard workers and fast learners. Get a job and prove it.

Get your foot in the entry level door and start taking on more responsibilities.

Candidates who are employed are always more attractive to employers. Some employers will not even consider the application of a candidate who is currently unemployed.
Again, in many fields, the entry level work is nearly gone. Entry level doesn't provide much use if you're in a job with no mobility. Then if you switch, you get called a job hopper.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:46 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,959,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
What if you had to spread out your interviews with 1 person interviewing this week and a few others the next 2-3 weeks? If you interviewed someone early in the process, with perhaps 4 other pending interviews, do you still tend to make a decision on that same day? I often hear interviewers say that they still had to interview other people, which makes it seem like they are undecided, but what do I know.
My organization tends to make the decision almost immediately. We generally conduct panel interviews and discuss after each interview. When we have multiple days of interviews, we identify those we either would hire or want to hire and then reconsider them once we have finished with all of the applicants. That said, the vast majority of the time we know immediately if we are going to make an offer. We have never ruminated over days or weeks about whether to hire someone.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:01 AM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This leads to an endless loop of the unemployed never finding employment because no one will hire them due to their unemployment. This isn't healthy and leads to an unemployable dependent underclass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Thing is, the former ones arent the ones who need jobs, its the latter ones.
Thing is, employers don't give a darn about who needs a job or whether this leads to an unemployable dependent underclass.

They want people who can do the work they need done. If nobody else wants you, why would they?

During the last economic downturn, a lot of people lost their jobs through no fault of their own. They hung on, hoping against hope that by the time their UI benefits ran out, they would be back earning a similar salary.

For many, it never happened. Now they have this long period of unemployment at the top of their resume. Yikes!

Sometimes this can be explained by "caring for elderly parents" or "caring for young children" or "traveling with the circus."

But you better have something besides, "No one would hire me" in that slot.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:06 AM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Again, in many fields, the entry level work is nearly gone. Entry level doesn't provide much use if you're in a job with no mobility. Then if you switch, you get called a job hopper.
Then you are flat stuck with no future. Hard to come up with a reason to go on.

However, I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be able to get entry level jobs and all these folks are supervised by somebody, so there is at least one step up on the career ladder.

A man told me that he once worked in a chicken factory and was called in by the boss expecting to be offered a promotion. Instead he was demoted.

Got me to wondering just how many levels could there possibility be in a chicken factory.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:15 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,692,845 times
Quote:
Thing is, employers don't give a darn about who needs a job or whether this leads to an unemployable dependent underclass.

They want people who can do the work they need done. If nobody else wants you, why would they?

During the last economic downturn, a lot of people lost their jobs through no fault of their own. They hung on, hoping against hope that by the time their UI benefits ran out, they would be back earning a similar salary.

For many, it never happened. Now they have this long period of unemployment at the top of their resume. Yikes!

Sometimes this can be explained by "caring for elderly parents" or "caring for young children" or "traveling with the circus."

But you better have something besides, "No one would hire me" in that slot.
Then you are contributing to the problem. Having 2 applicants or more with each party perfectly able to do the job yet you only want to hire the currently employed one? You offer food to to a hungry man, not one with a plate full sitting in front of him.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,790,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
  1. Do you have any idea how many job postings are horribly written with "Mandatory" skills that aren't possible? I've seen job postings requiring 10 years of experience using software that hasn't even been out for 5 years. Asking the hiring manager the question is valid considering how many HR people create the listings.
I see this all the time for contract jobs for the FAA, they require you to have experience in systems/applications no one outside the FAA would ever have. I worked there for 7 years, and I don't meet all the requirements most of these job postings want. Obviously at some point they have to accept candidates that meet some of there requirements, instead of all, because it would be impossible to hire anyone for these positions. I'm sure the same holds true in other industries.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 AM

305 posts, read 725,109 times
Quote:
-Learning stuff at school is not same as work experience!
Then why the hell are you asking me for a bachelor's degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search