Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 01:28 PM

276 posts, read 330,896 times

Advertisements

As a hiring manager for larger corporations, I receives tons of e-mails and phone calls with resumes and bunch of cover letters that are irrelevant to the job position; lack of experience, asking for too much salary (based on their experience and job position advertising,) has crappy resumes (sometimes I take my time fixing minor changes not trying to disqualify them!) and other reasons

Please before applying for any job...

-Double check your resume before submitting it!
-Make sure your resume is not too simple; the more details - the better (relevant to the job you apply to)!
-Make sure your skills are listed and relevant to the job position!
-Having a clear and basic voice mail would be great, and LinkedIn profiles.
-No, we don't care if you learn new tasks quickly or love to learn - not an entry level position!
-No, I don't want to spend my time looking at your 5 page resume when you yourself aren't even sure if you qualify for the job position
-Don't be rude when you get a declined letter - sometimes we may have something else in the future based on your experience for you. You get angry or ignore, guess what... no job for you in the future and you will start from the beginning with the annoying interview process.
-Don't forget a 'thank you letter'... takes a minute to write few sentences. May be easier to remember you as well.
-If it shows you need a type of skill(s) and you have little/no experience, don't ask if it's "ok" or make up any other excuses.
-Be more formal when you write and talk... we're not in middle school or your friends/family member.
-Learning stuff at school is not same as work experience!
-Don't talk too much (we did not submit them for an interview solely for this reason unfortunately)
-What else can I think of now?

Last edited by -Valentino-; 01-12-2015 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 01:40 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,695,498 times
In respect to thank you letters/emails do you ever reply back to them?

Old 01-12-2015, 02:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,957,588 times
As a hiring manager, thank you letters don't sway me in the least. I interviewed three people last week. The worst candidate was the only one to send a thank-you note and she was still the worst candidate after sending it.

I'm not even sure I would use a thank-you note as a tie breaker to make a hiring decision.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:03 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,782,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
As a hiring manager for larger corporations, I receives tons of e-mails and phone calls with resumes and bunch of cover letters that are irrelevant to the job position; lack of experience, asking for too much salary (based on their experience and job position advertising,) has crappy resumes (sometimes I take my time fixing minor changes not trying to disqualify them!) and other reasons

Please before applying for any job...

-Double check your resume before submitting it!
[1]-Make sure your resume is not too simple; the more details - the better!
-Make sure your skills are listed and relevant to the job position!
[2]-Having a clear and basic voice mail would be great, and LinkedIn profiles.
[3]-No, we don't care if you learn new tasks quickly or love to learn - not an entry level position!
[4]-No, I don't want to spend my time looking at your 5 page resume when you yourself aren't even sure if you qualify for the job position
-Don't be rude when you get a declined letter - sometimes we may have something else in the future based on your experience for you. You get angry or ignore, guess what... no job for you in the future and you will start from the beginning with the annoying interview process.
[5]-Don't forget a 'thank you letter'... takes a minute to write few sentences. May be easier to remember you as well.
[6]-If it shows you need a type of skill(s) and you have little/no experience, don't ask if it's "ok" or make up any other excuses.
-Be more formal when you write and talk... we're not in middle school or your friends/family member.
[7]-Learning stuff at school is not same as work experience!
-What else can I think of now?
  1. If I made my resume more detailed, I could fill 15 pages easily. There's elegance in simplicity.
  2. While people may choose to be on LinkedIn, the majority of the information should be in the resume, not a social networking site. Anyone who relies on that will likely be overlooked by most people.
  3. If you really don't value employees who learn new skills, you must have a very high turnover rate since it's essentially to keep up with changing technology. The only other way for a company to work is to just keep replacing older employees with new ones who know the skills.
  4. Maybe if you didn't expect them to be so detailed, you wouldn't be getting 5 page resumes...
  5. While it can't hurt, I doubt that a Thank You note should be consider a reason for hiring someone. If that is what got you the job, you weren't qualified.
  6. Do you have any idea how many job postings are horribly written with "Mandatory" skills that aren't possible? I've seen job postings requiring 10 years of experience using software that hasn't even been out for 5 years. Asking the hiring manager the question is valid considering how many HR people create the listings.
  7. And by the same logic, just because you've logged into a system for 10 years doesn't mean you know how to use it beyond the little piece. There are tons of people who have "used" excel for example for years, but barely know anything about it. That concept applies to all skills. "Experience" doesn't mean knowledge.

Sometimes the problem is the candidates, but if you find that all the candidates have the same problem, then maybe the company/manager is the problem. While you think they're asking too high of salary, you may be getting the bottom of the barrel because you're not offering enough.

Two sides to every coin...

Old 01-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
As a hiring manager, thank you letters don't sway me in the least. I interviewed three people last week. The worst candidate was the only one to send a thank-you note and she was still the worst candidate after sending it.

I'm not even sure I would use a thank-you note as a tie breaker to make a hiring decision.
No, me either, in fact the decision is always made before we would even get the thank you. We do all interviews the same day one after another, and discuss/make the decision before even checking email.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
I think the biggest thing is spell check!!

I have two friends that are journalists. Friend A was out of a job so gave his resume to Friend B. Friend A asked if Friend B could submit the resume on his behalf. The resume was filled with grammatical errors and typos. Friend B sent the resume back and politely asked Friend A to proofread his resume. It came back the same.

A writer for crying in the mud, with typos. He is still unemployed BTW it's been 5 years.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:10 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,342,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
-Learning stuff at school is not same as work experience!
You'll have to excuse me if a laugh a little at these two bullet points. In all honesty, things you pointed out are kind of obvious. Kudos to you for spreading the word, however.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:12 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,695,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, me either, in fact the decision is always made before we would even get the thank you. We do all interviews the same day one after another, and discuss/make the decision before even checking email.
What if you had to spread out your interviews with 1 person interviewing this week and a few others the next 2-3 weeks? If you interviewed someone early in the process, with perhaps 4 other pending interviews, do you still tend to make a decision on that same day? I often hear interviewers say that they still had to interview other people, which makes it seem like they are undecided, but what do I know.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,321,959 times
Thank-you letters and e-mails are a waste of time and energy. I won't do it unless or until it'll interfere with my ability to pay my bills. Until then, hell no.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:05 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,558,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
What if you had to spread out your interviews with 1 person interviewing this week and a few others the next 2-3 weeks? If you interviewed someone early in the process, with perhaps 4 other pending interviews, do you still tend to make a decision on that same day? I often hear interviewers say that they still had to interview other people, which makes it seem like they are undecided, but what do I know.
For me you fall into one of three buckets the minute you leave the interview.

1. No chance in heck
2. It's possible but let's see who else we got (need to think it over)
3. Yes, this person will be hired

If we have more people to interview I will tell you, regardless of which bucket you fall into. Those rare #3 I might do things differently to make sure I don't lose you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search