Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 08:32 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
That's pointless to bring someone in for an interview to talk about gaps, when they could see them on the resume and could have decided not to contact you at all.
Not really. I have a few gaps in my resume. They just want to clear up any misconceptions about what I was doing, instead of assuming and rejecting me. In the last 10 years, I have landed my job with after interviewing for only 1 company. I have always been scared about finding a job, while sitting at home. I always worked on picking up new skills during the gap. I spent time taking free classes on Coursera. I am able to speak on it.

When I am on the other side of the interview table and helping my managers hire, I want to understand what's going on during those gaps before we hire. I don't want to reject a guy outright, because he has a gap. At every employer that I have been to, we had many people with periods of unemployment. I have been working for 25+ years, I have seen a lot.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-02-2018 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 10:48 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Not really. I have a few gaps in my resume. They just want to clear up any misconceptions about what I was doing, instead of assuming and rejecting me. In the last 10 years, I have landed my job with after interviewing for only 1 company. I have always been scared about finding a job, while sitting at home. I always worked on picking up new skills during the gap. I spent time taking free classes on Coursera. I am able to speak on it.

When I am on the other side of the interview table and helping my managers hire, I want to understand what's going on during those gaps before we hire. I don't want to reject a guy outright, because he has a gap. At every employer that I have been to, we had many people with periods of unemployment. I have been working for 25+ years, I have seen a lot.
I do not think it is anyone's business why I have gaps. Thankfully, I have not be asked. It may have played a role in why I have not heard from so many hiring managers. Perhaps that is okay. Can a person who has had continuous employment relate to a person who has not?

Old 09-02-2018, 08:17 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
That's pointless to bring someone in for an interview to talk about gaps, when they could see them on the resume and could have decided not to contact you at all.
I agree, and I also think it's pointless to bring in someone to interview and tell them the reason why they weren't selected weeks later is because their current level is too high for the open position. Gee, you'd think they could have told me that before wasting my time interviewing, it's not like my years of experience weren't on the resume.

I suspect sometimes companies need an interview quota just to tick off the boxes, and jerk people around that way that they have zero intentions of hiring.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:06 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I agree, and I also think it's pointless to bring in someone to interview and tell them the reason why they weren't selected weeks later is because their current level is too high for the open position. Gee, you'd think they could have told me that before wasting my time interviewing, it's not like my years of experience weren't on the resume.

I suspect sometimes companies need an interview quota just to tick off the boxes, and jerk people around that way that they have zero intentions of hiring.
I think there may be some validity to this.

Old 08-15-2019, 09:07 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Lack of eye contact, obviously not really listening to your answers, no follow-up questions, very short interview, lack of enthusiasm/interest in what you're sharing...
Agreed, especially on the very short interview. When an interview lasts 5 minutes, I'm 100% certain I'm not getting the job.

No follow-up questions (or lack of actual questions in the first place) are telltale signs as well. I once had an interviewer start off with "What do you like to do for fun?" I was surprised to get that right out of the gate. I guess it was a way to help a candidate feel more comfortable and be less nervous, but I've always gotten that question towards the end of the interview.

Some might disagree but the "We're also interviewing other candidates and we'll let you know in 2 weeks" can also be a negative. Typically, I've always gotten the offer a day or two after the interview. Places usually want to move forward quickly with a candidate they really like and don't want to let them hanging around.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:42 AM

1,112 posts, read 885,043 times
Yep. Happened to me 3-4 times within the last few months. I think they interview outside of the organization just to make sure that they are not missing a better candidate than their internal ones. The internal won.

Had a “courtesy” interview last month. I had applied twice for a patient access position at the local hospital. Twice I was rejected within a few days via their online career we site. I made a comment to friends who are nurses there (30 year careers) that I was rejected without even an interview. One of my friends put a bug in the ear of the hiring manager. Interview canceled our interview the day prior because she decided to take Friday off. She kept me waiting twenty minutes beyond our scheduled interview time ....The interviewer was just going through the motions. And said the only opening was the 11-00 graveyard shift in ER. Obviously, I was not interested in my head but I told her that I was “open” to get my feet in the door. I knew I was going no where with this. Never did get that third auto-reject tho. Checked that idea off my list. And I am ok with that too. I confirmed to myself that I am not a fit esp to work in ER .

Old 08-16-2019, 04:46 AM

1,112 posts, read 885,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Short interview is the Kiss of Death.

Also, lack of eye contact.

Strong focus on employment gaps (if you have any). Employers are very judgemental about this.
Had a few of them..one was bait and switch. The job was posted as FT with bennies...interview changed it to PT flex hours. Ten minutes....gone. She was a witch too.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

No, there are no quotas, in fact we have interviewed as few as 1 person. When I review the applicants I will reject people that are overqualified unless their cover letter has really good specific reasons for wanting to downgrade. My newest hire started this week, and for that recruitment there were 15 applicants. I interviewed 8 by phone, then brought in 4 for in-person interviews. The one we selected had gaps but gave us good reasons for them and so far seems to have been a good choice.

I also sat in on interviews for another department. In that case there were 51 applicants, 12 phone interviews, and 5 in-person. We don't waste our time or the applicant's if they are over qualified or not qualified.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:19 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I also sat in on interviews for another department. In that case there were 51 applicants, 12 phone interviews, and 5 in-person. We don't waste our time or the applicant's if they are over qualified or not qualified.
You just waste the time of too many people. No reason to have 12 phone interviews for a single position. You have a poor method. Looking at those who apply, it should jump right out at you the 1-3 to phone screen. Instead you justify your existence by getting the hopes up of too many people. How terrible it is for those other 9 people just so you can have something to do. It isn't respectful of those people. You need to think of those people who are out of work at home and you are jerking them around like that. Shame on you.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:03 AM

313 posts, read 347,161 times
At my most recent job interview (I didn't get the job), the hiring person (a male, with one woman interviewer to the left and two other women interviewers to the right) literally had an angry look/stare towards me (a male) from the beginning. Didn't seek to make me feel comfortable at all. I wasn't intimidated, but, needless to say, didn't get the job.

At another job interview, the interviewers were reading the questions as if they were bored, as if I was wasting their time, as if they had made up their minds I wasn't getting it. I didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search