Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 10:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
^^ Don't you love these people who take someone's RANTS over the process....and say that it's your RANT that's causing the issues in the process.....rather than the issues OF THE PROCESS causing the rant?
Yeah, I DO love those people.

You said "call me negative," so I did.

Your "rant" is not just a rant. You revealed a LOT of entitlement and prejudices, which are serious negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 10:32 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,830,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yeah, I DO love those people.

You said "call me negative," so I did.

Your "rant" is not just a rant. You revealed a LOT of entitlement and prejudices, which are serious negatives.
Oh really? Do you care to point out the ENTITLEMENT stances that I listed? I'm curious to know. Apparently a person is called "entitled" now to just demand basic respect and professionalism during an interview process AND during actual employment. That's just a person being entitled! How dare they ask for basic decency, an interviewer/employer should be able to treat candidates and employees like CRAP all day if they want!

Old 04-25-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Oh really? Do you care to point out the ENTITLEMENT stances that I listed? I'm curious to know. Apparently a person is called "entitled" now to just demand basic respect and professionalism during an interview process AND during actual employment. That's just a person being entitled! How dare they ask for basic decency, an interviewer/employer should be able to treat candidates and employees like CRAP all day if they want!
Okay, if you promise to keep being this pleasant to deal with.

FYI

All of point #1 is common knowledge, so I'm skipping that one.

Quote:
#2.) They Post Public Jobs, But Don't Hire Anybody From The Pile Of People Driving 3 - 4 Hours Out To See Them
Total speculation ^^. You don't know this.

All of this:

Quote:

- Some robot created by some kid in his mother's basement screens the applicants based on keywords to filter the list from 200 to let's say 65

- Then some dumb, blonde haired chick who knows absolutely no technical information on the position and can barely even spell the name of the Employer......goes through the list of 65 and decides who to call based on how "pretty" their resume looks.

- Then she calls you, asks a bunch of CANNED HR Elementary questions...
... is prejudicial.

Quote:

then when you ask her technical information on the position to get even a feel for what the HELL it is....she says you have to drive out 3 or 4 hours to speak with the "Manager" and he will answer all of your questions.

- You drive 3 or 4 hours to speak with the "Manager", and you discover that this idiot has about 5 other people waiting in line to speak with him and over the course of this week alone, he's probably interviewed about 20 people. You sit down, thinking you are about to have a business conversation about needs/solutions, markets, and quotas, but instead this idiot goes into more CANNED HR Elementary questions and he can't answer a damn thing about the technical aspects of the job either.....you feel like you are in La La Land!
Entitled and condescending. This is how it works. I can tell you've never been on the side of the desk that has to sift through 200 applications, 150 of which barely even qualify for the position but are from people just shotgunning it.

Quote:

#3.) Solution - Start Your Own Business

This is CRAP. The only damn thing you can do today if you are a competent, intelligent, hard-working son of a gun...is start your own damn business!
What?? Is it crap or not?

Quote:

#4.) Job Networking

Or, if you want to work on W-2, you better build a network of people that can introduce you to guys who can CREATE a position for you within a company, rather than to some guy who creates a generic job description....slaps it on Monster, has 300 people respond...then uses robots and dumb blondes to pick the candidates.
Or who will think of YOU when a position opens up in their company. The only rational thing ^^^ in your entire post.

They won't think of asking you, though, if they know you think all HR folks are dumb blondes etc.

Calm down, get a grip, and get back out there.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:59 AM

1,184 posts, read 720,980 times
I believe for sure that nepotism and cronyism is your worst enemy. Only if there is no favored internal candidate or semi qualified family member will the job be fair game. They have the "competitive interview process" so the favored person or relative appears to be legit...Just a waste of everyone's time.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Okay, if you promise to keep being this pleasant to deal with.
I love your snarky remarks and your attempts to try to convey that my ATTITUDE is what's causing these issues, rather than the screwed up system that we are dealing with from top to bottom. This screwed up system includes there not being enough jobs for the massive amount of human capital number one, then there's the preference of hiring managers to promote from within or hire their niece for the position.

Quote:
Total speculation ^^. You don't know this.

#2.) They Post Public Jobs, But Don't Hire Anybody From The Pile Of People Driving 3 - 4 Hours Out To See Them

^^ Oh I do know this. I follow up for jobs that I interview for to discover who was hired. Usually it's a promotion from within or someone from the hiring manager's network. This isn't some random theory I've thrown out here, I'm reporting back FACTS from the field.

Obviously, an Employer can hire whomever they want to hire, but if you know damn well you are going to hire internally or from your network, why are you having people drive 4 hours to interview? Why are you having people hop on last minute plane flights for $500 to interview? What is the point of the entire process if you already know you are going to promote from within?? You are wasting my time, other candidates time, and we are getting sick of it!!

Quote:
All of this: ... is prejudicial.

- Some robot created by some kid in his mother's basement screens the applicants based on keywords to filter the list from 200 to let's say 65

- Then some dumb, blonde haired chick who knows absolutely no technical information on the position and can barely even spell the name of the Employer......goes through the list of 65 and decides who to call based on how "pretty" their resume looks.

- Then she calls you, asks a bunch of CANNED HR Elementary questions...
My analysis is prejudice? What? How??

Are you saying what I said was wrong? You can't be saying that because you talked about how I'm just "not well informed" about how it is to sit behind a desk and have to sort through 200 applications. So if you aren't sorting through them, then WHO is sorting through them? Isn't it the robot and the dumb blonde that I referred to, that has no technical information on the position whatsoever? She can barely spell the name of the company, but THIS IS THE CHICK who determines who gets an interview? Hahaha, I swear if this stuff wasn't so "painful", it would be funny as hell!

Quote:
Calm down, get a grip, and get back out there.
Spoken like a true "HR Professional". You failed to acknowledge any bullet point I made, all you did was respond trying to convey that my ATTITUDE is creating these problems, when number one you do not KNOW nor have you SEEN my attitude on interviews nor in business settings. I have nearly 10 years of professional business experience, you don't get that far with a BAD ATTITUDE.

This is a RANT thread. And in a RANT thread, we rant. We list out the things that make no sense and are literally stupid, then we discuss them. For you to try and convey that us RANTING in this thread is somehow justification for the issues we face in the job market...because it somehow points to a "bad attitude"....just makes me see you as either out of touch, or one of the "HR Professionals" that I talk about.

Last edited by jotucker99; 04-25-2016 at 01:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Spoken like a true "HR Professional". You failed to acknowledge any bullet point I made, all you did was respond trying to convey that my ATTITUDE is creating these problems, when number one you do not KNOW nor have you SEEN my attitude on interviews nor in business settings. I have nearly 10 years of professional business experience, you don't get that far with a BAD ATTITUDE.

This is a RANT thread. And in a RANT thread, we rant. We list out the things that make no sense and are literally stupid, then we discuss them. For you to try and convey that us RANTING in this thread is somehow justification for the issues we face in the job market...because it somehow points to a "bad attitude"....just makes me see you as either out of touch, or one of the "HR Professionals" that I talk about.
Wow, you are being SO unpleasant. Seriously, calm down.

I own the company, BTW. I employ an HR professional, and I've been around long enough to know to steer clear of people who RANT this hard about something with useless generalities and then refuse to understand how they are contributing to the things they're ranting about.

If it were JUST a rant, you wouldn't still be going on and on and on.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:

I own the company, BTW. I employ an HR professional, and I've been around long enough to know to steer clear of people who RANT this hard about something with useless generalities and then refuse to understand how they are contributing to the things they're ranting about.

Once again, still refusing to address ANY point that I made, but instead wants to focus on "my tone" in the delivery. Just say you don't have an argument, and the only reason you are responding to this thread is because there's a lot of TRUTH within it that exposes how inefficient the job market is.

You keep discussing how you don't hire people who rant, newsflash, nobody RANTS on a job interview. Nobody RANTS to the Employer's face. Nobody RANTS to the client's face. We RANT in places where it's appropriate, like in a local bar, in a local pub, at a coffee shop, etc.

Why you keep using someone's "anonymous rant" in connection to a "hiring decision"...is beyond me?

It's just apparent you have no argument to refute the points I've been making in this thread. The truth is getting out there and exposing this corrupt, inefficient and stupid system. Anarchy is surely to come, because we continue to manufacture more and more human capital, with higher and higher debt loads, with more and more promises of yellow brick roads. When they continue to come out in droves and realize how stupid the job market is right now, they are going to lash out!

We've been sold snake oil!

Old 04-25-2016, 03:12 PM

347 posts, read 425,753 times
Quote:

He's just venting on here and I feel his pain. He obviously doesn't get enraged on job interviews and has found this place to dump, which is a better outlet than kicking a puppy or vandalizing a random car. If you're so bothered, why do you even comment? Move along.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:06 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,096,832 times
Quote:
I wanted to see what some of you guys thought about some of my analysis here? So I'm going through a little career restructuring and decided to throw my resume out on the general job market, including job boards, emailing recruiters, etc. I have an MBA, 32, with close to 10 years of experience in Commercial Finance. I haven't been on many interviews, but the couple I've been on I have noticed that there seems to be something totally "off".

#1.) Alot Of Them Hire On Personal Preference Of Who They Would Drink A Beer With, NOT Who Can Do The Damn Job

It doesn't appear as though your professional competency to do well and perform well in the position even matters, it seems like other CRAP that has nothing to do with professional competency is what is driving their "hiring decision" such as the Hiring Manager's own personal preferences of who they want to work with and don't want to work with.

- So if the Hiring Manager doesn't like introverted people, and you're introverted, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like extroverted people, and you're extroverted, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like black people that much, and you're black, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like white people that much, and you're white, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like fat people that much, and you're fat, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like people over 40, and you're 45, he won't pick you.
- If he doesn't like butt-kissers and you seem like you kiss butt, he won't pick you.
- If he likes butt-kissers and you seem like you don't kiss butt, he won't pick you.
- If he likes people he can bully and boss over, and you seem like the type he can't bully and boss around, he won't pick you.

It's this concept of the Hiring Manager wanting to sit down and have a "beer" with you. But the kicker is that who he wants to have a beer with comes down to his sole personal preference, and has nothing to do with professional competency. So if he only wants to drink beer with extroverts and you're not that, he won't pick you.

Like I said, I haven't been on many interviews but I'm noticing this trend and I honestly DO NOT like it! It's a waste of someone's time! I'm a business man, a professional, and I'm expecting that just like my clients over the previous 10 years picked me based on having the best "product" in terms of value/quality, I was expecting Hiring Managers to do the same thing!

On top of this situation, you also have the inefficiency of the JOB BOARDS. What do I mean?

- A job is posted on a job board

- 200 people respond to it

- Then she calls you, asks a bunch of CANNED HR Elementary questions, then when you ask her technical information on the position to get even a feel for what the HELL it is....she says you have to drive out 3 or 4 hours to speak with the "Manager" and he will answer all of your questions.

- You drive 3 or 4 hours to speak with the "Manager", and you discover that this idiot has about 5 other people waiting in line to speak with him and over the course of this week alone, he's probably interviewed about 20 people. You sit down, thinking you are about to have a business conversation about needs/solutions, markets, and quotas, but instead this idiot goes into more CANNED HR Elementary questions and he can't answer a damn thing about the technical aspects of the job either.....you feel like you are in La La Land!

#3.) Solution - Start Your Own Business

This is CRAP. The only damn thing you can do today if you are a competent, intelligent, hard-working son of a gun...is start your own damn business!

#4.) Job Networking

Or, if you want to work on W-2, you better build a network of people that can introduce you to guys who can CREATE a position for you within a company, rather than to some guy who creates a generic job description....slaps it on Monster, has 300 people respond...then uses robots and dumb blondes to pick the candidates.
Not really anything here I can 100% disagree with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
If I have a great idea, maybe I'll start a business or be an entreprenuer, but I'm not going to go around all day looking for something to be entreprenuerish. It would have to come from inspiration, not desperation].
This. There is a lot that goes into starting a business and it isn't a cakewalk to get it off of the ground and keeping it there.

Quote:
It just seems like a very real possibility, for someone to go on 100 job interviews and get NO offers. When you really boil it down, the Employers in question have all of the power and they can punk slap you all around during the interview process all they want....with literally stupid questions, stupid procedures and IF you happen to get in, be prepared to deal with STUPID crap on a daily basis.
Yeah it is possible...

Old 04-26-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyScreenName View Post
He's just venting on here and I feel his pain. He obviously doesn't get enraged on job interviews and has found this place to dump, which is a better outlet than kicking a puppy or vandalizing a random car. If you're so bothered, why do you even comment? Move along.
I'll move along when I'm ready. How do you even know what he does and doesn't do?

You don't have to "get enraged" in an interview for negativity to come through. Body language, facial expressions and the words you respond with convey it. In the OP's case it's so entrenched that he doesn't recognize his own blatantly prejudicial language and thoughts. Can't believe I'm being asked to explain it.

A person who is "just venting" doesn't do it with such bitterness and paranoia.

The "truth," as he claims to want to discuss it, is that employers can and will choose who they want, and all the OP can do is be the best employee he can be and maximize his OWN personal network, which IS and always will be the best way to get a job. Why WOULD I waste time and money interviewing strangers when someone I know and trust recommends a candidate??? If a friend told the OP about a perfect job opportunity, would he defer to a list of applicants or would he jump on it???

Of course, when someone else does it, it's "nepotism."

If he really is "just ranting" and is a model employee and all-around great guy, his friends and many, many, many contacts from his "10 years of professional business experience" will step up with job leads. That is how it works and will continue to work, like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search