Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 08:51 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,133,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
...the hiring process is designed to hire people that have great skills at applying for jobs but zero skill in actually doing them. A VP showed me several resumes that the computer selected for interviews, it was obvious that they had parroted pretty much every word from the job posting somewhere on their resume. Much more qualified candidates were rejected simply because the computer did not spot the correct combination of keywords.
I completely agree. People who know how to create perfect resumes and how to answer questions at interviews are the ones that will get hired even though they might not have the skills to do the actual job. This is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 04:14 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
You have to have connections with pull to get you around the BS Job application process with the automated filters that just kick back rejection letters citing, "You don't meet the minimum qualifications for the position" when you more than meet the qualifications, have the education and meet even the MAXIMUM requirements for the jobs. I don't think companies or public agencies even read the damn resumes/applications PERIOD. I don't know if all job openings are fake (though some are obviously) but I don't think most of these resumes are even READ unless you have that connection that works you around the BS formal process.

If you don't have connections, you're pretty much SOL these days unless you just "luck out"
In alot of cases you don't even receive that. You apply and all you hear are crickets.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbutiri View Post
My favorite part is when they call you "family". What is THAT crap about? At the first sign, you're let go. I wish I could do that with my kids... You got a D+? We're sending you to a foster home. Instead of working with the employee to show them the way to do things. You know, all that on the job training and stuff? But they force you to go to the bar with them on Fridays, and force you to have lunch with them on Tuesdays, and force to you bend over backwards. I say force because that's what it is. It's an ultimatum. If you don't join our cult, we're going to use the "fit" excuse and fire your ass to get someone cooler that can barely do half of your job.
I noticed over the years, that people coming in through nepotism were ALWAYS given the training and support they needed to do the job. Everyone else had to fend for themselves.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I noticed over the years, that people coming in through nepotism were ALWAYS given the training and support they needed to do the job. Everyone else had to fend for themselves.
To add to that I have noticed that some of those who come in through nepotism were treated better as well. The company bent over backwards to make them feel comfortable.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:11 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,989,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
To add to that I have noticed that some of those who come in through nepotism were treated better as well. The company bent over backwards to make them feel comfortable.

Yep.. Its why Nepotism needs to be made illegal or the company at least needs to incur a fine for this nonsense. Who knows the number of more qualified job applicants that don't even get considered in place a friend or relative.. And also the point you all make, how unfair the training process is for the "favorites" who got the job b based on nepotism where the company bends over backwards for them while everyone else is a plate of leftovers.

People seem to forget nepotism can SINK a company and cause serious harm. . Because qualifications are taking a backseat to connections and everything that should matter is overlooked based on the connections.

Its also a form of discrimination IMO. Why? Because not everyone is given a fair shake in the hiring process. No different than not hiring those that are deemed "too old" or of a different race. The relative/friend can zip pass through the bureaucracy and nonsense hiring process and those without connections don't even get considered and have to go through whole time consuming nonsense even if they are more qualified.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Oh give me a break!

All you have to do is look at the long line of over-educated, under-employed candidates in the job market to KNOW there's something wrong. All you have to do is look at when a job is posted and how 300 people apply for it within a day.......you aren't telling me someone is going through 300 different resumes/profiles.

I bet you work in HR or something, because my thread exposes the complete and utter non-sense of the HR process for which our "higher learning institutions" have the nerve to pass out bachelor's and master's degrees for. Why does someone need a master's degree in HR anyway?

The system is flawed, inefficient, and falling apart. Like I said, when you factor in the "networking" aspects, the technology aspects and the globalization aspects........you flat out DON'T have enough jobs in this country for the MASS amount of new human capital that's being manufactured from these colleges.

So get ready to be over-educated, under-employed, in debt up to the hair on your head, not be able to save hardly anything cause you find yourself living paycheck to paycheck, and most likely eventually sprung out on some drug or some type of alcohol dependency due to the DEPRESSION you are suffering.

We are screwed!

Some around here don't like to admit something is wrong. The economy is great in their eyes.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
The fact that 300 people app!y to a job only means that there are 300 unemployed people. That's normal. It does NOT mean that all 300 had the skills, education, and experience needed for the job.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:41 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
The OP has a point.
Agreed. But none of it will change until HR managers lose power and there are 10 applications for every job. I am seeing a bit of this where I work. IN 2008 there were 100 applicants for every job. Now there are about 30 and the winning candidate will leave as soon as they get a better offer. At a certain point HR gets tired of interviewing people and pick the candidate they know they can get and will stay.

I once got a job by going around HR. Volunteering to work for the person for 5 weeks for free ( I was on unemployment at the time ) and if he liked me he could hire me. The guy was too lazy to boot me out when the time came. And just hired me.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:31 PM

897 posts, read 1,180,815 times
All I hear is entitlement. I just watched the movie "Hidden Figures" and it reminds me that you have to fight for your place, even when simple basic rights, like the right to work and to have equal opportunity, are snagged from you based on the color of your skin and your gender. Those women fought to make something of themselves, and my people still have to.

Get over yourselves and figure it out. Yes, sure, there are biases. AND? Keep on pushing.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:56 AM

Employers are the ones who act entitled. They are entitled to play head games. They are entitled to want the perfect applicant. They are entitled to post the same job over and over. They are entitled to string people along. They are entitled to have people drive/fly out for a chain of ridiculous interviews and then still string them along. But the lame excuse people like to use is that "they have the job you want" so if you want it you have to play by their rules. But the rules keep getting changed and the goal posts keep moving. If there is anyone that is entitled, it is many employers.

But heaven forbid an applicant want a job and actually post about the screwed up hiring processes and the observations of the job market. It is like some want to shut down any discussion of that by calling them entitled and basically telling them to quit whining and buck up. But I guess all of these unemployed people are suffering from some mass hysteria and everything they are observing is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search