Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 01:58 PM

345 posts, read 253,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
Don't even bother dude. They're just gathering resumes to boost their credentials. Staffing agency bros spend all day gathering resumes and interviewing people, perhaps 10 a day.

If you have years of experience, perhaps it might be worth a shot. They generally have such a large portfolio of applicants they most likely won't use you unless you're truly exceptional.
Agree with this statement. I have years of experience but went to them anyway (3 to be be exact). Even took a drug test at one. All of them said how impressive my resume was and they would have no problem placing me. Never heard once from any of them. This was 3 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 02:03 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,462,626 times
No they typically only want to help people who are better served getting their own job and most of their jobs are poor quality jobs with poor quality employers. Employment of last resort and not very efficient anyways.

The recruiters have contact quota so they do anything to lure people into their office to add to their database.

They demand manager's references and send them sales calls under the guise of reference checks. This a good pay to burn your references.

The jobs they do have pay far below market and have no or substandard benefits.

Only 27% of their Temp to hire jobs actually turn direct/permanent.

Avoid them they are not an efficient use of your time.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:58 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,384,522 times
No, you don't need to go into their office. Period. You don't need to "make friends" with them. They have job requirements and they are e-mailing people constantly to submit them for those jobs. It isn't needed and isn't practical to waste time going into their office. You clearly don't understand how the business actually works. Or you work in one of those places that want people to come in for nonexistent jobs so you can do "data mining" from them to complete your files on other companies you need as sales leads. This is what bad staffing firms do and headhunters.

I got e-mail two from two staffing firms today. One is over 1,000 miles away asking to submit me to a job which is literally 10 miles from me. The other is on the other coast. You exchange e-mail, you talk over the phone, that's it. There is no "make friends", they aren't even interested in seeing you if they are a legit staffing firm.

There is a difference between a real recruiter at a real company with a real job, where you want to come in for an interview if all the other information is good such as compensation and job description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
Most of everything else you say has merit but it is a mistake to suggest one does not need to show up at the agency where they have inputted their application.

This is because the 'recruiters' at the agency have a handful of job orders to fill and a room full of applicants.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
My husband been through tons of those agencies. Majority are false job postings and here is other things my husband figured out:
1. The agency will call you, but it is really a University student getting education in the same field you have experience in, collecting resumes to help with their own job application, helping them prepare for their own job interview, helping them if they already have a job and don't know how to handle a problem, by doing telephone job interview with you to get information to help them get the job or help them keep their job.

2. When there is interview set-up with the agency and the employer, if they don't like you or wish to have a friend in mind to get the job, they will falsely note on their interview papers with your name on it that you said something that you actually never said, so that you are disqualified to go on to the next step to get the job. Bombardier Aerospace was the most recent one today, that this happened to my husband.
Your husband is mistaken.

#1 - No University student needs to do that. They can go through Linkedin and look at resumes of anyone. They don't need to post a job pretending to be a staffing firm and screen people. To be honest, that's ludacris to think someone is doing that. That information you claim they seek is easily available online.

#2 - No one is spending time bringing people into an interview just to create a blackball list of people. This sounds like something a foe of Batman would do.

If your husband is interviewing and feeling like he is being locked out of jobs for whatever reason, he needs to look at his own network he should be building all along by doing great work and having people recommend him. Sorry to be so frank about this, but if your husband seriously believes these things, he is making up this fantasy to explain why he isn't able to get anywhere.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
Agree with this statement. I have years of experience but went to them anyway (3 to be be exact). Even took a drug test at one. All of them said how impressive my resume was and they would have no problem placing me. Never heard once from any of them. This was 3 years ago.
They brought you in for "data mining" purposes.

This is how it works for a staffing firm. They see the competition is placing many people at company XYZ or they want to know about companies they've not done business with or heard of before. Not all companies use staffing firms, so they need to target their sales efforts carefully. So they comb through their resume database and post false jobs, and tell everyone to come in for an interview. While there, you are now more vested. So they ask you questions about your references, and where they work. They ask you about past employers because they are hoping you give them more information about company XYZ or others they weren't aware of. "Never heard of that company, what kind of company is this?".

This allows them to create a data tree for those companies and from there they use this like a detective to find out who the hiring managers are, and contact them for sales leads, because you told them the names of people.

They are very clever in doing this. They make it sound like they are asking this to help place you in a job or to prove yourself to them. So you sit there, show off how much you know and what great experience you have.

There never was a job. But you have no way of knowing this. A real staffing firm (aka contract house) won't waste their time asking you to come in to be interviewed by them. That's just a complete waste of their time to do this.

What you CAN do, is when contacted by a staffing firm, ask for a real job description. Not just a job title or a sentence or two about the job. Don't believe this "we are working on a..." they MUST have a job description and this is why. In companies, in order to hire contractors the client company of any good size goes through procurement which means there are details for the job. And to get approval by their own management there must be a job description. If they don't have a job description, it means they are too lazy to even dummy one up to fool you. Or they want you to come in so they can "screen" you or whatever. This is entirely unneeded by a staffing firm. Also with headhunter firms too, you do NOT need to come in to meet them for a job at all.

They are also not above using a job description that is already for a company they want to do business with, and make it look like they are recruiting for that company just to attract people who have previously worked there.

Staffing firms have a lot of competition so some of them do these dirty tricks to get the advantage.

The good ones don't need to do this, because they are already on the approved vendor list for those companies, and those client companies send them the new job descriptions direct. This is why you might get contacted by several staffing firms at once for a new contract, because those requirements were just released.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:44 PM

607 posts, read 980,947 times
I haven't used a staffing agency in about 22 years. I think they can get you some income for temp if one is hard up.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:59 AM

1,124 posts, read 890,610 times
I regret even entertaining working with a recruiter....

Old 08-06-2019, 02:04 PM

146 posts, read 78,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Your husband is mistaken.

#1 - No University student needs to do that. They can go through Linkedin and look at resumes of anyone. They don't need to post a job pretending to be a staffing firm and screen people. To be honest, that's ludacris to think someone is doing that. That information you claim they seek is easily available online.

#2 - No one is spending time bringing people into an interview just to create a blackball list of people. This sounds like something a foe of Batman would do.

If your husband is interviewing and feeling like he is being locked out of jobs for whatever reason, he needs to look at his own network he should be building all along by doing great work and having people recommend him. Sorry to be so frank about this, but if your husband seriously believes these things, he is making up this fantasy to explain why he isn't able to get anywhere.

I'm with you. The excuses don't make ANY sense. I've never heard such things. They do sound made up and if they weren't how would he even know that is going on? To know that he is being told things by someone on the inside. Other than that....um.....what????

Old 08-12-2019, 01:09 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,063,492 times
The staffing agencies that I signed up with here in the LA area when I first moved here turned out to be a complete dud. They could not/would not work with someone like me, older, Master's degree, with lots of work experience. They are used to helping out those <32 yo with some college or just a BA. I got cold and distant responses. One was so bad, I wanted to write a Yelp review on their services. But thankfully, I am gainfully employed, w/o their help.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:08 PM

497 posts, read 425,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaKK View Post
I'm with you. The excuses don't make ANY sense. I've never heard such things. They do sound made up and if they weren't how would he even know that is going on? To know that he is being told things by someone on the inside. Other than that....um.....what????
You are all wrong or I wouldn't have bothered to post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search