Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:01 PM

51 posts, read 44,084 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had much luck with staffing agencies? They are great and all when they need you to come in and then once they get your info and application, it’s like you can’t even get a hold of the recruiter. I’m not sure if it’s my field or location I’m in but I have never found it so hard to find a job in the admin field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:08 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,926,770 times
The ones I've dealt with are notorious for posting fake job openings. If they ask for references prior to meeting with them, run the other way. They're just phishing for leads and more people to cold call.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 PM

235 posts, read 158,701 times
Don't even bother dude. They're just gathering resumes to boost their credentials. Staffing agency bros spend all day gathering resumes and interviewing people, perhaps 10 a day.

If you have years of experience, perhaps it might be worth a shot. They generally have such a large portfolio of applicants they most likely won't use you unless you're truly exceptional.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,257,730 times
If a recruiter from a staffing agency contacts you and they have a job opening they're looking to fill - OK, go for it.

If a recruiter from a staffing agency contacts you and they DO NOT have a job opening, game over.

It is as simple as that.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:00 AM

853 posts, read 653,327 times
I had some luck with Hays, Page Personnel and TRS Staffing but most staffing agencies completely ignores me when I am applying to a position or speculative applications. I usually never hear again from them.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 AM

3,880 posts, read 2,397,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy1781 View Post
Has anyone had much luck with staffing agencies? They are great and all when they need you to come in and then once they get your info and application, it’s like you can’t even get a hold of the recruiter. I’m not sure if it’s my field or location I’m in but I have never found it so hard to find a job in the admin field.
When contacted by a staffing agency, insist they give you two things. A job description, and what the W2 hourly rate is. Do NOT go on any interviews on their behalf until you have that information and are happy with the rate and the job. Also, there is no need to go into a staffing firm office. People contract at companies for years and never see the offices of the staffing agency. So behind your resume, they don't need any other information from you to present you to a client for a possible job. Don't give them references or anything else like that until you have an offer on the job.

Otherwise you are providing information for their sales leads database and none of that helps you, it helps them find more clients.

I don't know what circumstances which would be valid and in your own best interests to come into a staffing firm's office. Especially when many of the large ones are placing people in different states, and they never meet the employees they send out for client interviews.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:56 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,674,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
When contacted by a staffing agency, insist they give you two things. A job description, and what the W2 hourly rate is. Do NOT go on any interviews on their behalf until you have that information and are happy with the rate and the job. Also, there is no need to go into a staffing firm office. People contract at companies for years and never see the offices of the staffing agency. So behind your resume, they don't need any other information from you to present you to a client for a possible job. Don't give them references or anything else like that until you have an offer on the job.

Otherwise you are providing information for their sales leads database and none of that helps you, it helps them find more clients.

I don't know what circumstances which would be valid and in your own best interests to come into a staffing firm's office. Especially when many of the large ones are placing people in different states, and they never meet the employees they send out for client interviews.
This was exactly the case for me. I was called about consulting for a F500 bank, interviewed with the client remotely, underwent the background check, and within 3 weeks started the position that lasted for 2 years. So, definitely don't jump thru hoops for any staffing agencies as sometimes its mostly about optics. My experience has been that the ones that have "hot" positions to fill move quickly.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:47 PM

497 posts, read 428,535 times
My husband been through tons of those agencies. Majority are false job postings and here is other things my husband figured out:
1. The agency will call you, but it is really a University student getting education in the same field you have experience in, collecting resumes to help with their own job application, helping them prepare for their own job interview, helping them if they already have a job and don't know how to handle a problem, by doing telephone job interview with you to get information to help them get the job or help them keep their job.

2. When there is interview set-up with the agency and the employer, if they don't like you or wish to have a friend in mind to get the job, they will falsely note on their interview papers with your name on it that you said something that you actually never said, so that you are disqualified to go on to the next step to get the job. Bombardier Aerospace was the most recent one today, that this happened to my husband.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:42 AM

856 posts, read 1,057,482 times
Exclamation Staffing Agencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
............Also, there is no need to go into a staffing firm office.

People contract at companies for years and never see the offices of the staffing agency. So behind your resume, they don't need any other information from you to present you to a client for a possible job.

Most of everything else you say has merit but it is a mistake to suggest one does not need to show up at the agency where they have inputted their application.

This is because the 'recruiters' at the agency have a handful of job orders to fill and a room full of applicants.

One needs to go to the agency and make a friend of the recruiter handling one's application.

Go to the agency to motivate that person to watch out for one's best interests.

And if the applicant is highly compelling either by their presence or skills or accomplishments, then one should go to see the recruiter to show them why they ought to rate one as a priority applicant.

Not going to see the recruiter = just another applicant and no reason to be motivated. If one is a highly competitive applicant, the recruiter will see that and will bump that person up the priority list of applicants to get hired.

Forget about those who won't take an interest or are out to rape resumes; I'm talking about meeting with recruiters who will like that person enough to bump them up in priority. You might need to drive to a few agencies but the time spent investing in recruiters to represent you makes it worth it.

It's not all about what won't happen- it is about what one can make happen.

Paul..........

Old 05-23-2019, 01:22 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,067,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobase View Post
My husband been through tons of those agencies. Majority are false job postings and here is other things my husband figured out:
1. The agency will call you, but it is really a University student getting education in the same field you have experience in, collecting resumes to help with their own job application, helping them prepare for their own job interview, helping them if they already have a job and don't know how to handle a problem, by doing telephone job interview with you to get information to help them get the job or help them keep their job.

2. When there is interview set-up with the agency and the employer, if they don't like you or wish to have a friend in mind to get the job, they will falsely note on their interview papers with your name on it that you said something that you actually never said, so that you are disqualified to go on to the next step to get the job. Bombardier Aerospace was the most recent one today, that this happened to my husband.

This is just evil. I really empathize with your husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search