Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 05:50 PM

29,544 posts, read 22,866,684 times

Advertisements

I always consider it a bit shady when any company basically tells an applicant "we need someone now."

Any reputable organization, even if they are hurting for bodies and looking to hire multiple people, would realize that these things take time. There's possibly a phone screen, then a face to face interview, then the wait to hear back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 06:34 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,493,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Some people provide their phone and email info, not a physical address.
Almost everyone has their phone number and email information on a resume. Physical addresses on a resume aren't really needed. An employer could use that information to disqualify a candidate without the candidate even knowing. An employer could look at the physical address, and possibly see that a candidate would have a long commute to the office. I think that sort of thing is rare, but it could happen.

I, as a job candidate, have always tried to keep my commutes to a maximum of 30 minutes one way. Occasionally, a good job comes up that is like 45-60 minutes one way, and I have some internal debate about it.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:02 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,257,730 times
Employers discriminate against people who are out of state. They don't want to pay relocation costs, nor do they want to deal with the three weeks of drama relocating entails to you.

The job you applied wanted someone in TWO DAYS. You can't make that happen unless you want to drive there now and sleep in your car.

They knew that, and didn't want to deal with the drama. You're going to smell after not showing after a while anyway.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:53 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,516,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I always consider it a bit shady when any company basically tells an applicant "we need someone now."

Any reputable organization, even if they are hurting for bodies and looking to hire multiple people, would realize that these things take time. There's possibly a phone screen, then a face to face interview, then the wait to hear back.

I agree, I think it might be sketchy that they want to hire immediately. It's like a temporary job or something especially that this was a sales job.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Right. Not only were you unavailable to start work in 2 days geographically, but you were also unavailable to start (assuming full time) because of other commitments (school). And you are complaining about her? No interview method they chose would have magically teleported you to CO, CA, or anywhere other than NJ. Nor would it complete your degree in 2 days. It would be a waste of their time. What exactly is the problem here OP?
Yeah when I was on the phone with her, I got that kind of vibe that I wasted her time.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Employers discriminate against people who are out of state. They don't want to pay relocation costs, nor do they want to deal with the three weeks of drama relocating entails to you.

The job you applied wanted someone in TWO DAYS. You can't make that happen unless you want to drive there now and sleep in your car.

They knew that, and didn't want to deal with the drama. You're going to smell after not showing after a while anyway.
Yeah that sucks. Not only would I have to sleep in my car overnight, I would have to find a place to live right away and that would be a pain. Like another user said, it seems weird that they would want to hire someone within two days and that is not enough time to relocate even if I hid my address on my resume.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:12 AM

10,642 posts, read 12,220,563 times
You are in school in New Jersey and applied for a job in Colorado. With you being in school technically the fact that you were in New Jersey is irrelevant. You couldn’t start in two days full-time anywhere regardless of your address. So there are two separate issues here that have been correlated, that have no correlation.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:04 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,397,171 times
Don't play games with your location. Here is why, you put on your resume you are in the Bay Area and you aren't, then they will call you at 9 AM asking you to come in that afternoon for an interview. That's a foolish thing to do. Also, if you put the Bay area on your resume while you are in NJ, and someone is interested in you for a job at Google in NYC, but decides they don't have approval for relocation ( or you get filtered out by their software) for people with so little experience so they pass on you.

Stay where you are. Get a job, and then look for a better job which pays relocation to where you might want to live. Don't try to be clever with putting incorrect addresses from where you actually live on a resume because you are going to *********rself out of an opportunity.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Don't play games with your location. Here is why, you put on your resume you are in the Bay Area and you aren't, then they will call you at 9 AM asking you to come in that afternoon for an interview. That's a foolish thing to do. Also, if you put the Bay area on your resume while you are in NJ, and someone is interested in you for a job at Google in NYC, but decides they don't have approval for relocation ( or you get filtered out by their software) for people with so little experience so they pass on you.

Stay where you are. Get a job, and then look for a better job which pays relocation to where you might want to live. Don't try to be clever with putting incorrect addresses from where you actually live on a resume because you are going to *********rself out of an opportunity.

Also, I forgot to mention to y'all that I might be moving into my grandparents' house in the Bay Area after graduation. I could always stay there and find a job in the Bay Area since I am local. Much better than living with my parents. Then, I can relocate to the whatever state I desire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search