Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 08:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,498,417 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old guy in my senior year of college as an IT major and I live in New Jersey. Last night, I applied to some sales job in Grand Junction, CO on Indeed and I instantly got rejected when talking to someone from the place on the phone.

A woman called me wanting to explain the opportunity, but the first thing she said to me is, "I see you have a NJ address on your resume." I tell her yes and then she tells me that she is hiring someone to start within the next two days and I told her I have school. Then she tells me the usual employer garbage, "I will hold on to your resume until more opportunities come up." She even said to me, "How am I supposed to interview you if you are in NJ and we are in CO?" So that obviously means, she wants to hire somebody right away and that also means the company will not pay for flights for interviews. And I was dumb I should have asked if they offer Skype interviews, but they wanted to hire immediately anyway.

What should I do? Put a fake address on my resume pretending I live in a different part of the state I am applying to?

If I decide to apply to the Bay Area in CA, I can always use my grandparents' address since they live in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 09:11 PM

1,255 posts, read 830,177 times
Let's assume you had listed a Colorado address on your resume. How, exactly, would your phone conversation with HR for the sales position have gone differently?

Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,498,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Let's assume you had listed a Colorado address on your resume. How, exactly, would your phone conversation with HR for the sales position have gone differently?
Well I could have put a Colorado address and I could have said I went to school in NJ and maybe they would have been all excited to interview me, but the issue is I am still in school. They want to hire immediately. I'd wait until January time to find jobs that are guaranteed to start the positions in May/June/July time.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:18 PM

6,387 posts, read 5,025,282 times
Maybe ask if places can interview you over the phone or on Skype or a Google Hangout. It at least shows interest.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:11 AM

1,255 posts, read 830,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Well I could have put a Colorado address and I could have said I went to school in NJ and maybe they would have been all excited to interview me, but the issue is I am still in school. They want to hire immediately. I'd wait until January time to find jobs that are guaranteed to start the positions in May/June/July time.
In other words, it would not have helped you in any way..

Old 09-22-2019, 09:46 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,467,572 times
Some people think having no address on a resume is the way to go. I see their point.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:04 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,147,558 times
^^ Yes. From what I've read, more people are sometimes suggesting no address. I've seen a resume that had no address, and noticed it was missing. I thought, um, that's interesting.

Some leave it off for privacy reasons.
Other leave it off for the reason the OP might.....they're in one state and are looking for jobs afar off.
But savvy HR/hiring people also now that people who are not local might do that. So they might suspect you're out of state anyway.

To the OP, sure, I suppose you can look for jobs that you know you can't even take until may or June.
I have no idea -- realistically -- how many potential employers/HR/hiring people would consider you anyway if you can't start until May -- 8 months from now.

I'd suggest you just save your time. And not start searching until at least January...and even more practically -- March.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:17 PM

34,107 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am a 21 year old guy in my senior year of college ...
You could be on the moon and it wouldn't matter.
What would matter? The school rep.

Old 09-22-2019, 04:51 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
In other words, it would not have helped you in any way..
Right. Not only were you unavailable to start work in 2 days geographically, but you were also unavailable to start (assuming full time) because of other commitments (school). And you are complaining about her? No interview method they chose would have magically teleported you to CO, CA, or anywhere other than NJ. Nor would it complete your degree in 2 days. It would be a waste of their time. What exactly is the problem here OP?

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-22-2019 at 05:03 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 05:01 PM

23,346 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Some people think having no address on a resume is the way to go. I see their point.
Some people provide their phone and email info, not a physical address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search