Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:01 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,400,231 times

Advertisements

Wasn't there just a thread on here about people in Gulf towns angry that "outsiders" were being brought in to do the cleanup?

Old 06-08-2010, 04:09 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,082,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
Wasn't there just a thread on here about people in Gulf towns angry that "outsiders" were being brought in to do the cleanup?
Since this oil spill has affected their livelihood, folks living within these regions should have first dibs as far as job opportunities are concerned.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:41 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,071,557 times
What is the health hazard for doing this job?

Old 06-08-2010, 05:36 PM

95 posts, read 321,695 times
Where do you apply?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,663,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What is the health hazard for doing this job?
Chemicals from what I hear and a strong chemical smell that are getting people sick.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin1786 View Post
Where do you apply?
Forget about it, I looked at this a month ago and they had quit taking apps. for it. And also the CNN report that I posted stated the same thing.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:46 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,437,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
Chemicals from what I hear and a strong chemical smell that are getting people sick.
I would imagine the H2S would be the major health risk. I used to work for the Navy and this is what we feared the most. It's the gas which is produced naturally from dead sea animals (small ones) that gives low tide that nasty rotten egg smell. It just sucks the oxygen right out of you. Mix in some old fuel (basically the same chemical).... and with all that baking in the sun.....there is bound to be physical problems.

Old but interesting article on this:
Hydrogen Sulfide, Not Carbon Dioxide, May Have Caused Largest Mass Extinction

Plus, moving to that particular area during hurricane season proposes it's own risks.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,235,394 times
Quote:
Forget about it, I looked at this a month ago and they had quit taking apps. for it. And also the CNN report that I posted stated the same thing.
Please stop giving in incorrect info. Each place is different, in Chicago the stopped taking apps today. When Istarted this thread they were STILL taking apps here in Chicago.

You guys really know how to rain on peoples picnic. Some of you are so negative.

I just check the website and the started ACCEPTING apps again.

http://shamrockenviro.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-78909.html

The key is to keep checking the website.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Please stop giving in incorrect info. Each place is different, in Chicago the stopped taking apps today. When Istarted this thread they were STILL taking apps here in Chicago.

You guys really know how to rain on peoples picnic. Some of you are so negative.
Not incorrect from where I'm coming from. I got an email on this type of work a good month ago from a company that was looking at all the states for people and to go to their website to apply. I went to the website to just check it out and it had already been closed to people applying. Even CNN today stated as much about how many people were trying to get in on it.

How is it negative to let people know the risks involved with doing this work?
I sure the hell would want to know if there were health risks involved and not short term ones either.

Looks kind of like the site I went to a month ago. They must open and close it I guess. Kind of strange to me seeing as its been stated today that they didn't need any more people according to CNN.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:49 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,235,394 times
Quote:
Not incorrect from where I'm coming from. I got an email on this type of work a good month ago from a company that was looking at all the states for people and to go to their website to apply. I went to the website to just check it out and it had already been closed to people applying. Even CNN today stated as much about how many people were trying to get in on it.

How is it negative to let people know the risks involved with doing this work?
I sure the hell would want to know if there were health risks involved and not short term ones either.
Please let it go. I started this thread to help people. Can we drop it?

Let's no always focus on ourselves. This is not about me. It's about helping people.

HEY GUYS KEEP CHECKING THE SITE IN MY EARLIER POST. Accepting apps again.

HURRY!
Environmental Cleanup Technicians - Job Listing - Shamrock Environmental Jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search