Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 PM

85 posts, read 628,180 times

Advertisements

Somebody posted an "Ask an Athiest" thread, which was a great idea, so I thought I'd start an "Ask a Jew" thread. I'm obviously Jewish, so ask me anything you want, stuff you're curious about, etc. Other Jews can chime in if they want.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:57 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,014,241 times
The biggest question I have (which I have researched and found some information on, but isn't very informative, if that makes sense) is:

I always thought of Jews as God's people. Those that believe in God, but rejected Jesus as the Messiah. Recently, I have found there are Jews that DON'T believe in God and it is merely a cultural thing. Can you elaborate on that for me?

Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,535,789 times
I'd like to read the Jewish interpretation of Satan.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
The biggest question I have (which I have researched and found some information on, but isn't very informative, if that makes sense) is:

I always thought of Jews as God's people. Those that believe in God, but rejected Jesus as the Messiah. Recently, I have found there are Jews that DON'T believe in God and it is merely a cultural thing. Can you elaborate on that for me?
The Jews are an ethnic group, so to say "I am a Jewish athiest" is just like saying "I am an Irish athiest" or "I am a Zulu athiest". The religion is a part of the culture of the Jewish ethnic group, you can change your religion but you can never change your ethnicity. I know a woman who describes herself as "a Catholic of Jewish decent" she had a Catholic mother and a Jewish father. The face of the world Jewish community is constantly changing because over 60% of Jews marry outside the club. The only group left that you could describe as "purely Jewish" are the Orthodox.

I hope this helps.

Peace.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
The Jews are an ethnic group, so to say "I am a Jewish athiest" is just like saying "I am an Irish athiest" or "I am a Zulu athiest". The religion is a part of the culture of the Jewish ethnic group, you can change your religion but you can never change your ethnicity. I know a woman who describes herself as "a Catholic of Jewish decent" she had a Catholic mother and a Jewish father. The face of the world Jewish community is constantly changing because over 60% of Jews marry outside the club. The only group left that you could describe as "purely Jewish" are the Orthodox.

I hope this helps.

Peace.
Just curious, which group of Judaism are you? And, like asked above, what are your views of satan?

Old 08-04-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I'd like to read the Jewish interpretation of Satan.
There is no "satan" in Judaism. The Jews believe that there is evil, but a physical embodiment of evil does not exist. The Jewish "hell" is called Gehenna, the name comes from a burning garbage dump that existed outside of Jerusalem thousands of years ago. Gehenna is a place of punishment, it is similar to the Christian hell, but no "devil" is involved. However, not all Jews believe in Gehenna.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Just curious, which group of Judaism are you? And, like asked above, what are your views of satan?
I am a Reform Jew, the most liberal and open form of Judaism. The reform movement allows you to pick and choose which aspects of Judaism you want to participate in. I, personally, do not believe in the devil or hell.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
I am a Reform Jew, the most liberal and open form of Judaism. The reform movement allows you to pick and choose which aspects of Judaism you want to participate in. I, personally, do not believe in the devil or hell.
Can you perhaps give a list of each group of Judaism and a brief description of what each branch believes and/or practices? Sorry to ask so many questions, but thought it would help me/us when we are trying to discuss issues if we knew what each believe...Thanks!

Old 08-04-2007, 03:13 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,126,359 times
kawgpz550,
the 1st link provides some general info. especially listed under "Jewish denominations":

Judaism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-04-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Can you perhaps give a list of each group of Judaism and a brief description of what each branch believes and/or practices? Sorry to ask so many questions, but thought it would help me/us when we are trying to discuss issues if we knew what each believe...Thanks!
No problem! The reason I started this is so people could better understand Judaism.

The 3 Main Jewish Denominations

Orthodox Judaism = these are the most religious people, they practice the oldest form of Judaism, which includes observing all ancient Jewish law and traditions. An Orthodox person's life (both personal and spiritual) is completely governed by the religion. These people believe that they practice the only "true form of Judaism".
Conservative Judaism = this is a more moderately religious form. It is a combination of the Reform and Orthodox faiths in which a person's spiritual life is governed by Jewish law, however you are free to make your own independent decisions in your personal life.
Reform Judaism = these people have freedom and independence in their spiritual and personal lives. You must take the very basic teachings of the religion as fact, but otherwise you can pick and choose which Judaic laws and traditions to follow. This form was developed in Germany in the 19th Century and is now the most popular in the US.
These are the basic forms of Judaism, however there are other movements that were born out of these denominations.

Last edited by Voltaire; 08-04-2007 at 03:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism