Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,746,384 times

Advertisements

JERUSALEM - Raised without religion in Maryland, Shannon sought to make a new life for herself as a Jew in Israel.

In a rigorous conversion process, she studied religious law for a year, took a Hebrew name and changed her wardrobe to long skirts and sleeves as dictated by Orthodox Jewish custom.

Israel considers question: ‘Who is a Jew?’ - World Faith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 AM

27,224 posts, read 46,910,617 times
I'm very happy about this...not for the person in this article who IMO (if everything is true) had a difficult course to convert to Judism.

I had a friend who told me her Jewish name was different (I won't mention what it is on this forum) but she still uses her Christian name, but she is Jewish!!!

She explained that she had a 16 week course with 4 different Rabbi's and than she became Jewish....? She also explained what she had to do and as far as what I know from people who convert is this hardly nothing. She doesn't know much, although she is aware about the Jewish Hollidays.....at one point she even clamed that Jewish people aren't allowed to clean the silver Jewish items used for the Hollidays......

She also claims that if something happens overhere she will be allowed to live in Israel due to the fact that she is Jewish now....she is a 3 x convicted felon in the USA (fraud, grand theft, etc.) and in terrible financial problems due to her own bad decisions....I already had question marks after she told me about her convertion but didn't know about the convictions....I don't have any contact with her anymore since I don't want a person like that as a friend....but I have trouble if a person like that at one point just can go and live in Israel just because she is "Jewish" and can take her Christian husband with her.....

I was glad to read the article which is also on Fox News site....but my question is :

Is she still allowed to move there and become Israeli's?

(my whole family is Jewish and we are all born as Jews)

Old 11-02-2008, 02:12 PM

40,048 posts, read 34,710,200 times
Israel has a "Law of Return," which permits Jews to settle there. Your friend can claim to be Jewish all she wants--her criminal record could conceivably keep her out of Israel.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Israel has a "Law of Return," which permits Jews to settle there. Your friend can claim to be Jewish all she wants--her criminal record could conceivably keep her out of Israel.
That is great news! I really doubt if her being "Jewish" is even true. Did you ever hear of a 16 week course to become Jewish. I know of a person who became Jewish and lived in Holland but that person was planning on becoming the wife of a religious Jewish man and his father was a Rabbi. She had to study a lot and it took a long time before she became Jewsih and it is very demanding how hard the study was, so not an easy 16 weeks of doing a few things as she described. I was shocked what she told me about it.

The person I know, doesn't have a Jewish man, doesn't practice Judism (not that I am a very religous person, but I grow up in a Jewish family who was very much mentally damaged by WWll and most of my family members died during WWll in Auswitch) but still tells any one she is Jewish...which makes me feel bad.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:21 PM

Well, as it happens, I'm Jewish; I don't know an awful lot about the process of converting to Judaism. I do know that it's definitely not some kind of "say a few prayers and poof--you're Jewish" deal. There's quite a bit of study involved.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Well, as it happens, I'm Jewish; I don't know an awful lot about the process of converting to Judaism. I do know that it's definitely not some kind of "say a few prayers and poof--you're Jewish" deal. There's quite a bit of study involved.
So 16 weeks of just a part time course and having dinner at 4 different families sounds unrealistic to you? It did to me...

Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 PM

I can't say for sure how unrealistic, but very definitely incomplete.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:14 AM

Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism