Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the word Jewess Offensive?
No 17 43.59%
Yes 14 35.90%
I don't know 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:16 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Any idea why Jewess became a term and why it has such stigma associated with it? As opposed to "Jewish lady/woman/etc".
yes i do, and I'm not going to feed anyone's anti-Semitism by going into detail
research it online if interested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 08:25 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Any idea why Jewess became a term and why it has such stigma associated with it? As opposed to "Jewish lady/woman/etc".
A pure guess on my part.

But I believe it is primarily because of how the word Jewess has been used in English literature.

It is a rather unique word I don't think a corresponding word exists outside of English

some links

The Jewess in Nineteenth-Century British Literary Culture | English Literature 1830 1900 | Cambridge University Press

http://www.jewishquarterly.org/issue...?articleid=263

Jewess seems to have taken on a stereotypical view of Jewish women in English literature just as Negress became a stereotypical virew of black women in English literature.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:15 AM

to reduce it to a literary convention or a mere peculiarity of language
is also offensive,
because it seeks to make light of anti-Semitism, brutality, violence, hatred and bigotry

it is the equivalent of the n word for people of African descent

Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
A pure guess on my part.

But I believe it is primarily because of how the word Jewess has been used in English literature.

Jewess seems to have taken on a stereotypical view of Jewish women in English literature
another reason why it is offensive to dismiss use of a derogatory insult
as just a silly little old-fashioned word used in literature, is that it dismisses it as mere fiction

the ugliness and hatred of anti-Semitism is not a fiction

Old 05-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
another reason why it is offensive to dismiss use of a derogatory insult
as just a silly little old-fashioned word used in literature, is that it dismisses it as mere fiction

the ugliness and hatred of anti-Semitism is not a fiction
I am not disagreeing with that, the literature of the era was very anti-Semitic and the stories that used the word were very vulgar and filled with hatred.

It was an era of very offensive literature.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:15 AM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Still not offended and use the word to describe myself.

Still am not OK with the term "Yid" which has been used as a slur against me. I'm sure it's fine when speaking in Yiddish, but in English it always sounds offensive to me. I am equally not OK with shiksa or goy.

I'm 27 and work in the Jewish world, if that makes a difference.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
the literature of the era was very anti-Semitic and the stories that used the word were very vulgar and filled with hatred.

It was an era of very offensive literature.
that is correct
and it is not just stories in a book, and it is not just in a long-gone era

it is here and now, real life, real time, real people
real posts on City Data

still reflects "vulgar and filled with hatred"
still "very offensive"

Old 05-11-2015, 11:05 AM

23,153 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Since "Jewess" has started showing up again on this forum, what does the current generation think about it's usage?

I think the current generation uses any form of the word,'' Jew,'' as a derogatory word. I get called a Jew all the time by kids on Xbox, they say,'' What a Jew,'' and then I say, '' But I am a Jew.''

LOL, I think Anti-Semitism is on the rise simply because of an ignorant generation that doesn't know any better.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
that is correct
and it is not just stories in a book, and it is not just in a long-gone era

it is here and now, real life, real time, real people
real posts on City Data

still reflects "vulgar and filled with hatred"
still "very offensive"
Having been born before WWII and seeing first hand the Hatred of Jews to an extreme level I am aware it is very much taking place today.

It is not just limited to Jews.

I have also seen much the same directed against Native Americans who still are stereotyped, the very term Native American is taken as being offensive to some of the indigenous people.

Hatred of a People is a very heinous thing and often manifested in labels and derogatory terms. Sometimes not recognized as such to those using them.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times
Quote:
because it is, like the n word is for African Americans

there is no need to distinguish between a female Jewish person and a male one
There is probable no need to distinguish at all.

Is there any need to laugh at another culture? To make unnecessary comments about how they choose to bury their dead?

Is there any need to say one would rather commit suicide than be a non Jew?

Is there any need to complain about offence taken while thinking it fine to be offensive?

I am not saying that you have done these things your self - but they have been recently done on this forum and you have remained quiet about it.

Quote:
do you say Christianess? or just Christian do you say Buddhistess? or just Buddhist

The thing is it is hard to get a clear answer of exactly what is meant by 'Jew' from those calling themselves 'Jews' so some say it is race, other say it is religion other say it is both.

I used the word Jewess to denote a female Jew...Some are 'offended' and others are not.

I meant no derogatory thing when using the word. I am beginning to understand why it is an uphill battle to try and interact with people who are not clear and find too much to be offended about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism