Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the word Jewess Offensive?
No 17 43.59%
Yes 14 35.90%
I don't know 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 11:35 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Still not offended and use the word to describe myself.

Still am not OK with the term "Yid" which has been used as a slur against me.
in English it always sounds offensive to me. I am equally not OK with shiksa or goy.
thank you for pointing this out charo
I will be more aware of not using this term as it can give offense

as long as there is even one Jewish person in a public forum saying they find the word offensive, that is reason enough to extend respect and be conscious of our language

I also find the words shiksa and goy offensive, and do not use them, as they are often used in the perjorative. I prefer to use "gentile" as it is more respectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Hatred of a People is a very heinous thing and often manifested in labels and derogatory terms. Sometimes not recognized as such to those using them.
i agree
that is why discussions such as these are useful,
so that we can speak in ways that show dignity and respect

Old 05-11-2015, 12:06 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i agree
that is why discussions such as these are useful,
so that we can speak in ways that show dignity and respect
I agree

One need not agree with the beliefs of others, but we all should show all people respect to the best of our ability.

We are all related and are all brothers and sisters in humanity. It would be nice if all people could understand that there is only one race--the human race. There is only one creator and we all were created by Him.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:52 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I agree

One need not agree with the beliefs of others, but we all should show all people respect to the best of our ability.

We are all related and are all brothers and sisters in humanity. It would be nice if all people could understand that there is only one race--the human race. There is only one creator and we all were created by Him.
Yes. Human beliefs to do with culture etc are secondary. Humanity comes first. Putting culture in a more important or preferable position is asking for trouble.

Perhaps even identifying the gender differences to do with humanity is a relic of bygone thinking as well.

I shall not use the term 'Jewess' any more even that I understand I never used it as a derogatory term in the first place, and please note that I used a capital letter in relation to the word Mother, also as a sign of respect.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:30 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
One of my Jewish friends referred to a female Jewish friend as a 'Jewess', so I figured it was OK.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:33 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Maybe it's just a lisp.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:37 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
It's an archaic term, no real need for it to be used these days. And since it has a history of being used in a derogatory manner, as well as the fact that members of this community have stated that they find it offensive, it should not be used. Even acknowledging the original intent was not meant to offend, once you are told people are in fact offended, it's time to stop using it.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:15 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's an archaic term, no real need for it to be used these days. And since it has a history of being used in a derogatory manner, as well as the fact that members of this community have stated that they find it offensive, it should not be used. Even acknowledging the original intent was not meant to offend, once you are told people are in fact offended, it's time to stop using it.
Sometimes being 'offended' is also a way of subtle controlling people to do what you want. The word in question is not offensive to everyone calling themselves the same as those who choose to be offended.

In that case, it is not necessary to choose to make a big issue out of it, or to choose be a 'victim' of it.

The reason that I won't use the word in question isn't because some get upset at its use so much as I would rather avoid getting caught up in victim based dramas which are pretty inconsequential, and largely beside the point.

Also it could be acknowledged that no intent to actually cause insult counts for something.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotagivan View Post
Also it could be acknowledged that no intent to actually cause insult counts for something.
you are absolutely correct, thank you, i agree with you that people are good-hearted and kind and are sincere in playing well together

Old 05-11-2015, 06:39 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,708,949 times
I don't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism