Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,030,800 times

Advertisements

Sigh.

CHOSEN has nothing to do with being above others.

Chosen refers to God choosing the Jews to follow his laws, all 613 of them.

Non-Jews aren't required to follow the laws and they aren't penalized for not doing so, in fact Jewish tradition specifically says that non-Jews are recognized by God for living good lives, that is the tradition of the Righteous Gentile.

The Jews were chosen for a hard job of following a bunch of laws nobody else had to follow and getting ostracized into the bargain. Hardly a nice little deal. The joy is supposed to come from following Gods word.

If you are going to criticize it, at least understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,035,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Sigh.

Non-Jews aren't required to follow the laws and they aren't penalized for not doing so, in fact Jewish tradition specifically says that non-Jews are recognized by God for living good lives, that is the tradition of the Righteous Gentile.

The Jews were chosen for a hard job of following a bunch of laws nobody else had to follow and getting ostracized into the bargain. Hardly a nice little deal. The joy is supposed to come from following Gods word.

Hmm, didn't Hitler do that stuff to the Jews also? I guess Yahweh was a good role model for Adolf.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:24 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,258,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Sigh.

In order for God to chose a people, He had to choose a character trait that would hold stubbornly to the letter of the law.

Purposely, for the rejection of Jesus and the offering Him up as a universal sacrifice for all mankind.

I can expand on that if you wish.

Blessings, AJ

Old 09-08-2009, 12:29 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,258,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Hmm, didn't Hitler do that stuff to the Jews also? I guess Yahweh was a good role model for Adolf.
The role model of Yahweh was in Jesus.
Jesus exercised perfect love for there could be no perfection in mankind bodily, unless Go did it Himself.

Hitler, was in no way a follower of God, but was in himself a god of his own making.

Blessings, AJ

Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 AM

160 posts, read 198,416 times
Deguire --

Nobody believes you're a god.

That should put an end to your nonsense about how everyone but you is a credulous sheep-person.

You are obviously not a god, you're a kid or a childish man who has some need to feel better by assuming he's brighter than his species.

Go for it, but it makes you seem singularly ungodlike, really.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,901,232 times
I would like to write my own bible and claim I am god's chosen person, but since I don't believe in any gods, I guess I am kinda out of luck.

Guess I will just go play golf.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:05 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,372,929 times
Can we let this thread die out? It's very premise is hateful. Jews feel no superiority due to this "chosen people" concept - that I don't even know who created the idea in the first place. I know many feel hung up and resentful that the very idea exists. But the world would do better if we all just ignored this and moved on. It means nothing to us Jews, so all you non-Jews appear to have ulterier motives if it bothers you.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:28 PM

160 posts, read 198,416 times
Yeah, seriously, there's a truly creepy amount of anti-Semitism showing through an awful lot of these "questions." Maybe the moderator would close this and any other threads based on disingenuous non-questions that sound like an Aryan Brotherhood FAQ.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,901,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I read about a guy who said he and his friends had one rule when they debated an issue: The first person to use the H-word lost the debate.

I think it is a very good rule.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:12 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,709,403 times
According to Judaism 101: Jewish Attitudes Toward Non-Jews

Contrary to popular belief, Judaism does not maintain that Jews are better than other people. Although we refer to ourselves as G-d's chosen people, we do not believe that G-d chose the Jews because of any inherent superiority. According to the Talmud (Avodah Zarah 2b), G-d offered the Torah to all the nations of the earth, and the Jews were the only ones who accepted it. The story goes on to say that the Jews were offered the Torah last, and accepted it only because G-d held a mountain over their heads! (In Ex. 19:17, the words generally translated as "at the foot of the mountain" literally mean "underneath the mountain"!) Another traditional story suggests that G-d chose the Jewish nation because they were the lowliest of nations, and their success would be attributed to G-d's might rather than their own ability. Clearly, these are not the ideas of a people who think they are better than other nations.

Because of our acceptance of Torah, Jews have a special status in the eyes of G-d, but we lose that special status when we abandon Torah. Furthermore, the blessings that we received from G-d by accepting the Torah come with a high price: Jews have a greater responsibility than non-Jews. While non-Jews are only obligated to obey the seven commandments given to Noah, Jews are responsible for fulfilling the 613 mitzvot in the Torah, thus G-d will punish Jews for doing things that would not be a sin for non-Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism