Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:58 PM

512 posts, read 1,184,043 times

Advertisements

I can't figure out how come Jewish people are usually rich... I work for window cleaning company and we provide service to about 2000 homes in the richest suburbs of Chicago, about 95% of our customers are Jewish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:33 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Because they value education, intellect, humor & shrewdness.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:40 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,454,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
I can't figure out how come Jewish people are usually rich... I work for window cleaning company and we provide service to about 2000 homes in the richest suburbs of Chicago, about 95% of our customers are Jewish
A better question would be "Why do so many rich Jewish people live in the suburbs of Chicago?"

Just because there are a lot of wealthy Jewish people where you live does not mean that Jewish people are usually rich.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
I never buy the "smart" or "intelligent" gibber. There's a lot of favouritism. They simply know how to help their own brothers and sisters, or it's just inborn. It's not wrong, but it's unfortunate.

Luckily, I never bore the brunt of this cronyism in my career, but I have seen cases, nine years of professional experience

Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Not all Jews are rich, but it is true they are richer than average.

Comparative Religions - U.S. Religious Landscape Study - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

Hindus are also richer on average. In other nations there are minority groups that have greater per-capita income than average. For example the Parsis of India or the Chinese of Southeast Asia.

I don't think Jews are necessarily smarter than other peoples, although some population groups within the Jewish community may have above average IQs. I would guess it's that because Judaism values education and success in this life. Certain Asian immigrant groups are similar. My guess would be that these things have their downsides too. I think Jewish people have higher rates of depression and I read one study indicating Jews are disproportionately represented among those seeking treatment for gambling addiction.

FINAL REPORT OF TASK FORCE ON GAMBLING ADDICTION IN MARYLAND (http://www.nyu.edu/its/statistics/Docs/task_force_4.html - broken link)

Whether this means Jewish people will seek treatment more or that they really are more likely to be gambling addicts is uncertain. Also this isn't a slam on Jews or Judaism, it's just meant to be about culture and trade-offs. I imagine Catholics are disproportionately represented among Alcoholics while we tend to be less suicidal.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Jewish people aren't necessarily richer. Most do, however, value education and a fulfilled life. And, yes, the fact that there's only about 14 million Jews worldwide and most look out for each other counts too.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post

I'm Jewish and I am not rich.... But education is important. One of the reason Jewish people tend to be in business is because for much of history what they could do was limited by the Christian majority. So they did the Jobs they were allowed to do.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I never buy the "smart" or "intelligent" gibber. There's a lot of favouritism. They simply know how to help their own brothers and sisters, or it's just inborn. It's not wrong, but it's unfortunate.

Luckily, I never bore the brunt of this cronyism in my career, but I have seen cases, nine years of professional experience
Jews are a community and we have had to help each other... Its wanting to survive. Its not unfortunate though, we have never been able to count on those around us and its been in recent history that we suffered the greatest loss. Jews need to support each other and continue to be a community.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:21 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_-CmwHWPo

Sorry, I couldn't resist any longer...

Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Quote:
Why Jewish people are usually rich?
One of the unfortunate stereotypes is that Jews are rich and that they are involved in every manner of conspiracy to maintain power over many industries and even governments. The idiots in the hate groups like the KKK have promoted this point of view for as long as they've been around. My feeling is that the Jewish people have a strong work ethic and have had the need to be self reliant and help each other as Jazzymom pointed out. That's in stark contrast to the losers in the white supremacy movement who like to blame others for their own failure to succeed in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism