Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Jews a nation of blood,of faith or of a culture...
A nation of blood 6 17.14%
A nation of faith 5 14.29%
A nation of a culture 0 0%
A nation of blood & faith 8 22.86%
A nation of faith & culture... 16 45.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,490,368 times

Advertisements

First of all,I didn't insult anyone...
Requests for sensorship are inappropriate for any Jew...
I am expressing my opinion on Judaism...
I believe that the Jews are a nation with a religion...
A stranger may join the religion,but joining the nation needs a hereditary factor...
That's my opinion...
I think the conservative ( "orthodox") Jews agree with my theory...

Obviously,leftwing "progressive " Jews have another...

However, my point that they weaken their case for Israel is true...& I saw no response to that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:11 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
First: Isn't for the Jews to decide what they are?

Second: Questions like this make me think of my own people. In the Comanche Nation prior to the conquest, it was not unheard of for Comanches to take people of other nations, nationalities and even races and "adopt them" into the tribe (actually happened at the band level, but that is irrelevant). When I say adopted, I don't mean some vague "blood-brother" type of thing, but these people lived as Comanches and were seen as being Comanches by the people.

I am sure that similar things happened among Jews over the centuries. Isn't the Story of Ruth illustrative of this? And Ruth was then recognized as a Jew despite her Moabite blood (in Israel no less)? So, because this did happen among them and they recognized these adoptees (if you will) as one of them, it kind of goes back to my first statement. It is up to the Jews to decide who they are and one else.

Last edited by Fullback32; 02-05-2010 at 03:33 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 02:20 PM

Unfortunately,a nation cannot live on its own...especially when all other nations are hostile to it...

The question "Who is a Jew " is a constant argument within the Jews themselves & especially in Israel,with the...Arab "Jews " comprising 25% of the pop & rising...
It is hopeful that the public opinion in Israel shifts to more strict standards for the Jewish identity...

Jews in USA don't have the enemies breathing down their necks ,so they can "afford " to do ideological trips ,concerning the Jewish identity...

Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM

536 posts, read 414,279 times
They are a race of people.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueIsraelite View Post
They are a race of people.

That's an exaggeration...

Their "race " is middle-easterner,whatever...
No one can issue...racial certificates...

Old 02-05-2010, 03:24 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
That's an exaggeration...

Their "race " is middle-easterner,whatever...
No one can issue...racial certificates...
But you seem intent on issuing religious certificates... And issue them in a quite racist manner.

How did you get anointed to decide who is Jewish or who is not? I belong to a congregation that includes Jews of all kinds of racial, ethnic and social backgrounds. I find it deeply offensive (and I hope others do to) that you think you can arbitrate who is a true Jew. If you put orthodoxy up on such a pedestal, then perhaps you should spend more time worry about being more devout in your own religion instead of trying to exclude people from mine.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:56 PM

Maybe u r annoyed because I am not a homosexual like u,but it is obvious that my attitude is pro-semitic...
I just want various opinions posted...

Your opinion is that Judaism should have nothing to do with ancestry,heritage,blood & so on...

Ok,u got your point, Other Jews may disagree.

That's why we keep on discussing ...

Old 02-05-2010, 04:16 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,995,588 times
Quote:
Maybe u r annoyed because I am not a homosexual like u,but it is obvious that my attitude is pro-semitic...

Your opinion is that Judaism should have nothing to do with ancestry,heritage,blood & so on...

harrymiafl ! ... You have fought an extremely outstanding battle regarding this intriguing subject ! But ... as you are certainly aware of by now your valiant efforts are sadly in vain.

There are just some things like the facts in this discussion that unfortunately so many of these folks simply will not acknowledge.

It appears to all revolve around that "Us Versus Them" mindset that has kept the people of mother earth at each others throats for so very many eons..... it will never change !

Great effort on your part though. Thanks / Lamar

Old 02-05-2010, 04:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,390,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't think you understand; there's no such thing as "Jewish blood," since Judaism is a religion and not an ethnicity. Given this fact, I point out to you that there wasn't anything even remotely unacceptable or treasonous in Dusty's posting.
Well, I don't follow Judaism, but my mother and father are both Jewish, therefore, I'm a full-blooded Jew. So being Jewish is an ethnicity.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:40 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Default Homophobia.

Quote:

You limit the quality of discussion and the veracity of your own contribution to it when you make ad hominem, irrelevant, biased and reprehensible attacks on my sexuality. I am certainly not annoyed at your sexuality. (I am actually relieved because its one less thing I have in common with your racist, homophobic pontificating self.)

Your attitude, while pro-semitic in your mind, is actually anti-semitic in the view of many actual Jews... (those who have chosen to be or were born Jewish). Unlike you, most mainstream and accepted sects of Judaism don't espouse racist, homophobic or in any way exclusionary ideologies.

You completely misstate and miscategorize my statement. Judaism certainly has to do with ancestry and heritage. (Where would the traditions come from?) It also has to do with choice. A very wise Rabbi once told me a that a "converted" Jew is someone who converted OUT of Judaism. A person who converts in to the religion is simply a Jew.

I welcome continued discussion, without the racism, homophobia or smugly stated falsehoods. You're entitled to your own opinions. Not your own facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism