Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Good question. Could it be because no other race of people or nation on Earth makes the claim that they are "Gods Chosen People"?
So do you hate us for this? Because your tone is very telling here, and I'm detecting a bit of sarcasm. As for being the "Chosen People", it's actually the Christians who say this most often. I've never referred to myself that way, and very rarely hear about it from a Rabbi or elder. But if it is in the Bible, it's not exactly something we just made up. Anyway, is that an excuse to hate or persecute us? Guess it's okay that Hitler killed 6 million Jews, since being egotistical is such a horrible crime!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As for being the "Chosen People", it's actually the Christians who say this most often.
Wait wasn't it Charlton Heston who called Jews the "Chosen People"...LOL

Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 PM

Btw, Dorado's post brings up one of our main problems... some people are very threatened by us, apparently, and use that an excuse to hate. It's kind of like that old "Jews run Hollywood" crap, which is just proof that they're threatened by success. Yes, we DO dominate Hollywood, but is it a crime to be successful in a particular field? Lots of ethnic groups are dominant in certain areas, and that's no reason to hate them... I live near Silicon Valley, which is heavily dominated by Indians, and I say "good for them!" Who knows why we're talented at certain things, but that doesn't mean we are BETTER than anyone - considering we suck in other areas like sports, LOL.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Wait wasn't it Charlton Heston who called Jews the "Chosen People"...LOL
Touche. Really, I swear we don't go around calling ourselves that! Maybe some Chasidics do, but most of us aren't that egotistical.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times
I was told it was because they (well, their EARLY ancestors) are the ones responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus...honestly I really don't know and I think it's a bunch of HOOEY! But I am curious to other people's response to that.
I for one cannot understand why Jews are so hated...I think that the Jews are a very important part of the Bible, creation AND even Christianity! Even if it is true that they are hated because of their role in the crucifixion of Jesus, that is still a part of the prophecy of the Messiah.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I was told it was because they (well, their EARLY ancestors) are the ones responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus...honestly I really don't know and I think it's a bunch of HOOEY! But I am curious to other people's response to that.
I for one cannot understand why Jews are so hated...I think that the Jews are a very important part of the Bible, creation AND even Christianity! Even if it is true that they are hated because of their role in the crucifixion of Jesus, that is still a part of the prophecy of the Messiah.
Yes, that's one of the things I said in my post above... some people hate us for "killing Christ", which is totally ridiculous. For one thing, wasn't everyone a Jew before Christ came around?? So you could say we're ALL responsible, since your ancient ancestors were probably Jewish at one time.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:10 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
No, everyone wasn't a Jew before Christ came along. There were Pagans, the vast majority of people who believed variously in the sun, the king, the earth, etc, and in Rome it was the Ceasar.

Now imagine if your country was under military dictatorship by another country (Rome) whose leaders (Ceasar) were threatened by someone (Jesus) with a following and the possibility of causing an uprising, it's not unheard of in history to have your soldiers kill them. There were hundreds of Jews that were crusified, not only law breakers (keep in mind these may have been Roman laws). Anyone who was a threat to the occupation was put to death (by Roman soldiers). Especially convenient to make others look at fault when you're also writing the history of the occurence. Even Jewish leaders may have gone along with the killing of one man in order to save a whole city from destruction. Much misunderstanding has come from this.

Jesus was teaching Judiasm (to the Pagans). This was the religion he was brought up in and knew. It was later that many of the extensive rules of the faith were dropped (such as circumcision) by his followers, many of whom were also Jews, and other interpretors (who also added things), in order to not drive the new converts away from belief in a singular god.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 06-10-2007 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: addl

Old 06-10-2007, 11:33 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, that's one of the things I said in my post above... some people hate us for "killing Christ", which is totally ridiculous. For one thing, wasn't everyone a Jew before Christ came around?? So you could say we're ALL responsible, since your ancient ancestors were probably Jewish at one time.
Oops, sorry I guess I must have missed that part of one of your posts . I just thought it was odd that no one mentioned that. I also think it is completely rediculous ...It's funny, you always hear Christian "extremists", Islamic "extremists" and so on, but I have yet to ever hear of a Jewish extremist, nor have I ever heard of ANY Jewish "uprising" or Jewish groups being violent of any kind...at least not in modern day ...you know what I mean (I hope )

Old 06-10-2007, 11:51 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Oops, sorry I guess I must have missed that part of one of your posts . I just thought it was odd that no one mentioned that. I also think it is completely rediculous ...It's funny, you always hear Christian "extremists", Islamic "extremists" and so on, but I have yet to ever hear of a Jewish extremist, nor have I ever heard of ANY Jewish "uprising" or Jewish groups being violent of any kind...at least not in modern day ...you know what I mean (I hope )
Ok I have many Jewish friends, I crochet yamikas for all the new male babies (I can do trains, cars, dinosaurs, hebrew alphabet), worked in a bungalow colony camp for 4 years...so I am at times more Jewish than some of my Jewish friends...so don't take offense to this.

But.....

I'm sure if you asked a Palestinian about violent Jewish acts they may have a different opinion about Jewish people being peaceful. Just had to put it out there. Sorry.

Old 06-11-2007, 01:02 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
This is a serious question. A lot of people in this country as well as all over the world seem to hate the Jews. I don't get it? I can't imagine the world standing by while another race or religion was being systematically exterminated. I know there is strife between a lot of different ethnic and religious groups even now but the one thing they all seem to agree on is that they hate the Jews. I keep hearing about anti-Semitism all over Europe, Asia, Africa etc and it certainly gives the appearance that it is widespread and has been for centuries. Usually there is a "reason" for racial or religious hatred even if it is a stupid one. Darned if I can come up with even a stupid one for why so many diverse groups seem to have the same hatred and literally want to nuke them off the Earth. A black aquaintance of mine made a comment about "greedy Jews" the other day and I almost passed out! I mean seriously!
I believe one definite cause for hatred against Jews could be spiritual in nature. Let me explain: God has said (in more than one scripture) that He has chosen this people (the Jewish nation). Now, it is no secret that God and Satan are at odds, at war with each other. The enemy will attack ANYTHING that belongs to God, especially the chosen PEOPLE of God! And, he uses PEOPLE to do it (those whose minds he has managed to get control over) Even if they don't know why, they will instinctively hate Jews. Have you also noticed it is not just Jews they hate: Christians are hated also. Same reason. BOTH Jews and Christians are God's people. (some might disagree, but it is true). Christians should be careful to support Israel...our future is NOT seperate from them. We are allied with them from about the time of the Apostle Peter (who had a vision from God about the Gentiles (us), being accepted by God...IF we would believe...) The Bible says we (Gentile believers) are "grafted in", that we are the branches, they (Jews) are the vine. It's kinda like we Gentile believers were only added as an after-thought...we are indeed fortunate...

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism