Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:25 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,813,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Of course there's violence in Israel, but that's in the context of war... not that it excuses anything, however the majority of the fighting is done in self-defense and in defending their land. I don't agree with everything that goes on there, but it's hardly representative of the worldwide & historical Jewish population. Nearly every ethnic/national group has fought in war-time, and you don't hear me calling them violent people.
Oh I'm not saying that I think Jewish people are violent, no more so than I think Christians and Islamics or any other group of people are violent. I'm just saying that depending on who you talk to they can be portrayed as violent just as any other group can be. I understand that they have been at war but my point is those that they are at war with feel that is isn't their land to begin with, so there is always another point of view to be had. I just think that hating anyone that you don't actually know is ridiculous. It's hard to hold onto misbeliefs about any group of people if you get to know them as individuals.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:06 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I think he meant political correctness talk.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:07 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I think he meant political correctness talk.
Yes, that's what I meant...sorry...oh, and...I'm not a dude...most people think I am because I write in a very dude-esque sort of way.

I generally get genders wrong...so I just state that for your general info.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:45 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I think Zionism is more what people object to. I have no problems with Jewish people but do object to the attitude of some Jewish people to Palestine. Having visited both Israel and Palestine I was surprised how some really very bright , intelligent educated Jewish people could not see the ethnic cleansing going on on Palestinians. And no I do not support Hammas or Palestinian terrorists. I just think we should start recognising that Palestine has as much right to an existence as Israel. I am sure this comment will cost me a lot of grief but that is my view and one shared by millions of people. My Jewish friends agree with me by the way.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Mooseketeer wrote:
Quote:
I just think we should start recognising that Palestine has as much right to an existence as Israel.
This may be more of a political than religious point but there's no question that the never ending problems in the Middle East is largely due to the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. Of course the history of the Jewish people has been very difficult long before the creation of the state of Israel. However, in the last half century the focal point of any anti Jewish sentiment is largely due to the fact that the Palestinians were pushed aside so that the nation of Israel could be established. First off, I do support the state of Israel and I think they have as much of a right to exist as any other nation. The problem is that when this nation was established there was already somebody living there and then they got booted out and things haven't been the same since. After World War II the entire world was sickened by the atrocities commited against the Jews and it was determined that the Jewish people should have their own nation. I have no problem with that at all except that some consideration should have been extended to the people who had homes and families there. Now after several generations of hatred and those who are seeking revenge it's turned into a disaster and there's no easy solution. I agree that the Palestinians should have their own nation and be able to control their own destiny but the suicide bombers and terrorists have turned the Palestinians into their own worst enemy. Arafat turned down a deal that could have resolved this issue when Clinton was President. This could have been the turning point but Arafat turned his back on this historic opportunity. Everything has spiraled downhill since then and I don't know if we'll get another chance for others with better judgement to make peace with Israel and move forward.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:28 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Mooseketeer wrote:

This may be more of a political than religious point but there's no question that the never ending problems in the Middle East is largely due to the conflict between Israel and the Palestinians. Of course the history of the Jewish people has been very difficult long before the creation of the state of Israel. However, in the last half century the focal point of any anti Jewish sentiment is largely due to the fact that the Palestinians were pushed aside so that the nation of Israel could be established. First off, I do support the state of Israel and I think they have as much of a right to exist as any other nation. The problem is that when this nation was established there was already somebody living there and then they got booted out and things haven't been the same since. After World War II the entire world was sickened by the atrocities commited against the Jews and it was determined that the Jewish people should have their own nation. I have no problem with that at all except that some consideration should have been extended to the people who had homes and families there. Now after several generations of hatred and those who are seeking revenge it's turned into a disaster and there's no easy solution. I agree that the Palestinians should have their own nation and be able to control their own destiny but the suicide bombers and terrorists have turned the Palestinians into their own worst enemy. Arafat turned down a deal that could have resolved this issue when Clinton was President. This could have been the turning point but Arafat turned his back on this historic opportunity. Everything has spiraled downhill since then and I don't know if we'll get another chance for others with better judgement to make peace with Israel and move forward.
I pretty much agree with everything you say, and yes the history of the Jewish people has been a terrible and arduous one. But like other nations they must accept the blame for some of their current problems. Palestine and its people were also horribly mistreated and it seems wrong for a nation who suffered such terrible genocide to inflict such ethnic cleansing on another people. It seems that we have double standards as who is a terrorist and who is a freedom fighter. Should a western country be treated as Palestine was we would find people resisting by any means possible a noble resistance...

Palestinian suicide bombers and such will sadly never stop until they feel their cause has been heard and their ( valid) concerns addressed. I just find it so sad that those 2 nations cannot co-exist peacefully but the blame does rest with BOTH nations not just one. Arafat did indeed show very little foresight regarding a peace deal . Saying those things does not mean being anti-Semitic or hating Jewish people. I strongly disagree with Israel's behaviour towards Palestine, however I do not hate Jewish people . I was very impressed when in Palestine with the resilience of people whose lives had been devastated by the conflict. If I had a choice of being Jewish and living in Israel or Palestinian and living in Palestine, I would choose Israel any day simply because life there is better, safer and people are so much better off. The poverty in Palestine is appalling and it seems we have been subsidizing Israel since its foundation over 50 years ago. I am not sure why we still do.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:32 AM

Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 188,939 times
History lessons.I need to know: Who lived there before the palestinian people?
And why that land was given to Israel? Why not other place? Why not a part of France, Japan, Brazil, Canada, Argentina, South Africa, Italy, Russia,etc...Why ?Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
happy member wrote:
Quote:
And why that land was given to Israel? Why not other place?
The Jews consider Israel to be their ancestral homeland and many of them believe it was given to them by God. I've always had a problem with the idea of God in the real estate business who gives tracks of land to one group or another but that's just me. The Jews did inhabit this area and trace their lineage back to Abraham but over the centuries it's been occupied and fought over by a number of nations.
You raise an interesting question about why another location wasn't chosen for the state of Israel. I've read that this idea was considered by a number of people. I think they even considered just buying a large area of land in an unpopulated area like Brazil but there was a strong feeling that Israel must be located in it's original location. Personally I think that was a big mistake because now Israel is surrounded by enemies who want that land back again but of course I'm not Jewish and I can't speak to their motivations.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I sometimes think that people hate the Jews just because they have to hate somebody and the Jews are a target of opportunity.

That Israel is a European colony in the Muslin lands is just another coincidence. The conflict between the Jews and the Palestinians is a tool used to keep the Palestinians from forming their own republic and getting on with the economic co-development with Israel. Having prosperous Jewish and an Arab Republics in the Middle East is simply too threatening to the Saudi Royals to be allowed to happen, hence the continuing war and hatred.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:14 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,236 times
Doesn't the Koran mention something about hating the Jews an Infidels? Killing all who are NOT MUSLIM. I find it strange that the US must take care of Israel and The Palestinians as the surrounding countries do NOTHING Saudi Arabia & Jordan do nothing about this conflict. They don't seem to be offering any solution to were the Palestinian should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism