Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 07:17 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Everyone on this thread has pretty much described the "joys" of apartment living. As someone who has lived in many apartments in the past (even while working nights!) here is my advice:

Price does unfortunately matter. Most of the time, cheap apartments come with thinner walls and less polite neighbors. Beware though of "premium" apartments built on the cheap.

Look for apartment complexes with interior doors to the units and an elevator. Rarer than exterior stair buildings, but more likely to be made out of poured concrete and have superior sound muffling. Also tend to be pricier and to some extent that keeps out the riff raff.

Duplexes can be really good. All in all, I can say my best experiences came when renting a duplex. You're only sharing a wall with one other tenant, and then separation by a yard from adjacent units. Also more spacious with garages and off street parking. If you get along with your neighbor, it's really, really great. It's easier to get to know them too because you see each other coming and going more than in apartments and become more tuned to their habits. Can still have some issues though. During my duplex time I had a careless neighbor with a large dog that periodically was a barking problem. She eventually got evicted and peace was restored after an elderly woman moved in.

^^^^ THIS!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 10:21 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Wouldn't you rather have mellowed out pot smokers as neighbors than loud and rowdy drunks with all their crazy drama? I know I would.
False choice.

I'd rather have none of the above.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:25 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
Everyone on this thread has pretty much described the "joys" of apartment living. As someone who has lived in many apartments in the past (even while working nights!) here is my advice:

Price does unfortunately matter. Most of the time, cheap apartments come with thinner walls and less polite neighbors. Beware though of "premium" apartments built on the cheap.

Look for apartment complexes with interior doors to the units and an elevator. Rarer than exterior stair buildings, but more likely to be made out of poured concrete and have superior sound muffling. Also tend to be pricier and to some extent that keeps out the riff raff.

Duplexes can be really good. All in all, I can say my best experiences came when renting a duplex. You're only sharing a wall with one other tenant, and then separation by a yard from adjacent units. Also more spacious with garages and off street parking. If you get along with your neighbor, it's really, really great. It's easier to get to know them too because you see each other coming and going more than in apartments and become more tuned to their habits. Can still have some issues though. During my duplex time I had a careless neighbor with a large dog that periodically was a barking problem. She eventually got evicted and peace was restored after an elderly woman moved in.
I agree with this.

Also, if you can find them, sometimes older buildings have better sound proofing than newer ones. Smaller complexes tend to be easier to manage than larger ones. My sweet spot is a smaller, older building that is well maintained. The hard part is finding such a place that you can afford when rents have gone up so much, even in more moderate cost areas.

Old 09-25-2023, 07:46 AM

93 posts, read 260,220 times
This shows why most of us would not be able to tolerate the small minds that permeate the State of Kansas.
The smell of pot is a major problem?
For a state that leads in depression and hopelessness, save for the more liberal areas in Lawrence and Johnson County, you have much bigger issues statewide that pot.

Old 09-25-2023, 03:32 PM

936 posts, read 423,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Wouldn't you rather have mellowed out pot smokers as neighbors than loud and rowdy drunks with all their crazy drama? I know I would.
We camped in Taos New Mexico this year and it's legal there. I will say, camping next to a group of stoners rather than drunks was a much better experience. Nice quiet evenings.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:17 PM

1,125 posts, read 607,749 times
I find it funny that so many ppl "praise" weed.

It's smoking. Not that much better than smoking cigs... and we all know how bad second hand smoke is.

Add the fact that a lot of weed just stinks... good ol skunk weed.

An apartment that stinks of heavy smokers is just plain gross... esp to non smokers.

I feel for the OP. Even though there are "worse" things that bad neighbours can do, doesn't mean he doesn't have a legitimate complaint.

BTW I partake once in a while so I'm no anti-weed. But just like smoking cigs, I know a lot of ppl don't want to smell that nonsense so I take it outside and away from others.

Old 10-05-2023, 07:45 PM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
Ask them if they could vape it instead of smoking it. It's almost odorless that way. Maybe sweeten the request by bringing over some cookies, I'm sure that would be appreciated :>}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas