Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 12:47 PM

9 posts, read 17,556 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll, looking for help. Eyeing a house downtown near the tracks and tweetsie trail and baseball stadium, and I'm wondering how often trains go by there and if any are late at night (10pm-7am)? Since it seems to be a train yard nearby I wonder if they actually toot their horns there or not? I know they do down by Founders Park, but wasn't sure if they did by Tweetsie Trail. Anyone live close or know? Or even the name(s) of the line to look it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 01:03 PM

35,056 posts, read 31,258,424 times
The train yard you are thinking of is East Tennessee Railway LP.

I don't believe the traffic on that rail line is as heavy as right by Founders Park. The Founders Park trains can be deafening. I believe they run at night - there have been incidents of some people being hit by trains at night downtown.

Go on Google Maps and look at Legion St. There is a faint grey line for the railroad tracks. Personally, it would be a bit too noisy for me, but judge the track proximity to any property you are looking at.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:40 PM

9 posts, read 17,556 times
Yes, the trains at Founder's Park really are deafening! It's the line right behind E Maple St. In between E. Maple St. and Tweetsie Trail that comes right into the E Ten Railway LP yard like you said. Know the name of the line by chance to lookup a schedule? The line is in the backyard so... gotta look!

Old 08-08-2022, 07:24 PM

Looks like East Tennessee Railway.

The website below looks dated, but the rail map is still accurate.

https://www.railfanguides.us/tn/johnsoncity/index.htm

Old 08-09-2022, 12:27 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Freight lines typically do not run on a tight schedule. The trains, when assembled, have a "leave the yard time", but delays happen, and the actual leave time could be hours from the assigned time. Therefore, activity "down the line" (such as through JC) could occur more randomly than any set schedule.

Not sure there are any passenger trains, which run on a more defined schedule, and which go through JC. Don't think so.

I would be quite cautious if train noise bothers you.

Old 12-27-2023, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,386 times
I’m looking at a house in the same area and am wondering what the verdict was? did you go with the house & if so what’s the impact of the tracks?
i realize this post is over a year old but taking a chance! thanks so much!

Old 12-27-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artstyfartsy View Post
I’m looking at a house in the same area and am wondering what the verdict was? did you go with the house & if so what’s the impact of the tracks?
i realize this post is over a year old but taking a chance! thanks so much!
I’m shopping in that area too. I rented there over five years ago. It was irritating, but not enough to put me off from being that close to downtown. It depends if you’ve lived in urban environments before. Someone from a silent rural environment may find it unbearable. Someone from a big city may find a quarter mile or so from the tracks quiet.

Old 12-29-2023, 04:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I’m shopping in that area too. I rented there over five years ago. It was irritating, but not enough to put me off from being that close to downtown. It depends if you’ve lived in urban environments before. Someone from a silent rural environment may find it unbearable. Someone from a big city may find a quarter mile or so from the tracks quiet.
How close were you to the tracks?

Old 12-29-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artstyfartsy View Post
How close were you to the tracks?
About a quarter to a half mile away.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:07 AM

7,333 posts, read 3,514,319 times
I live pretty far from the train tracks and I can still hear it pretty clearly especially in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol