Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 07:09 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,683,677 times

Advertisements

Hik, congratulations on the June closing. Don't you know, June isn't just for brides anymore!!

I am seconding Gem's suggestion regarding used appliances. Have a friend who purchased a second home in NC and did the 2d hand route and she's so sorry.

Enjoy homeownership and all the planning that follows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
I may be mistaken but I think IKEA just open a place in Knoxville......I know their on-line.If you want to come to Florida I have a dinning room table and 4 chairs. Plus a china cabinet, Just gave away a "gold polyester" covered 1970 sofa, shagarific......
I say less is more...... minimalist all the way........

Old 06-09-2008, 07:25 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,138,460 times
Boy, Tinman. I hope you got top dollar for that sofa!

Sixties and seventies furniture and clothing can bring in some cash for those who are into the collectibles thing.

Hik, pass on Tinman's sofa, but dining room furniture just might be worth a trip to you!! Will it fit in the trunk, Tinman?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:38 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I may be mistaken but I think IKEA just open a place in Knoxville......I know their on-line.If you want to come to Florida I have a dinning room table and 4 chairs. Plus a china cabinet, Just gave away a "gold polyester" covered 1970 sofa, shagarific......
I say less is more...... minimalist all the way........
I like IKEA but if they opened in Knoxville it is a very well kept secret.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:51 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
I am soooo happy for you, hik! Being a homeowner is so much fun! There's a lot of responsibility, of course, but a lot of pride, too.

And I'd just like to say that I'm particularly pleased that hik is buying in FOUNTAIN CITY. That's right! She'll be within walking distance of the Creamery and Litton's. I'm so jealous! She can walk to do the Fountain City red velvet cake taste-off...

Hik, there's a Maytag store on Broadway in Fountain City. It's on the same side of the street as Krispy Kreme (heh heh). Occasionally they have some really good scratch & dent sales that you might want to check out.

When my parents moved here a few months ago they had to buy a bunch of appliances. After checking out a bunch of places they found that Lowe's had the best deals. But depending on who's having sales, you might find good deals elsewhere.

But no matter what, you are going to have FUN! Be sure to take lots of pics for us!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,511,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And I'd just like to say that I'm particularly pleased that hik is buying in FOUNTAIN CITY. That's right! She'll be within walking distance of the Creamery and Litton's. I'm so jealous! She can walk to do the Fountain City red velvet cake taste-off...
Rub it in JMT, rub it in.......

Old 06-09-2008, 08:50 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
Cool Groovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
Boy, Tinman. I hope you got top dollar for that sofa!

Sixties and seventies furniture and clothing can bring in some cash for those who are into the collectibles thing.

Hik, pass on Tinman's sofa, but dining room furniture just might be worth a trip to you!! Will it fit in the trunk, Tinman?
I can knock down the table and chairs to fit in any trunk........ And that sofa it went to a needy family I hope. Good Will picked it up..... Every thing is going...... except the cat.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:40 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,138,460 times
JMT, I think we have a strong clue here as to why that particular house struck hiknapster's fancy!

I know that she doesn't hate Linton's or the Creamery! Hint, hint! What a great place to raise a little girl. Lots of walks on a summer evenings for a bite of ice cream before bedtime.

Tinman, when you said you are going to simplify and minimalize, you really mean it! Are you going to live in your trunk?

I am sure that some needy family is adoring your sofa right now. What a better way to clean house than to give things you no longer need or want to someone who cannot afford them for himself.

SMG, you'll just have to be a frequent visitor to hiknapster's new neighborhood!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Oh, wow!

What a nice surprise. I've been sitting here spraying coffee all over my monitor! Y'all are hilarious! I think the shagarific sofa sent me over the top!

And here comes JMT, as anticipated, crowing about Fountain City. Notice how he manages to slip the words "Fountain City," "Litton's," and/or "Cookeville" into every conversation?

Now whether I am actually in Fountain City is another matter. I am two miles to Litton's. There are no sidewalks, so I will have to reach it by car. The handy-dandy mapquest says it will take five minutes to reach. No estimate if I am on foot.

Of course, it would be a great way to walk off the red-velvet cake. Did I mention that Lauren, a few weeks back during a house-hunting expedition, ate a red velvet cupcake? She hates new things but she loved it!

I digress.

I have asked GBH if I am moving to Fountain City. Dead silence. I take that to mean "no."

My agent had to talk me down off the ledge last night. She assures me that the house is mine, no matter what. Home inspection should be Wednesday or Thursday. No visible issues, so keep the fingers crossed.

Fantastic tips, y'all. I didn't think of most of these places. If you can think of anymore, please do. I need to think happy thoughts, and not the usual neurotic ones.

Does anyone know how hard it is to put an offer on your first house, with the news blaring about unemployment, gas prices and the stock market crashing? I keep telling myself that one should buy when no one else is buying. Do what no one else is doing and you'll be okay.

Isn't that how Warren Buffet made his money? Right? RIGHT?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:34 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I have asked GBH if I am moving to Fountain City. Dead silence. I take that to mean "no."

My agent had to talk me down off the ledge last night. She assures me that the house is mine, no matter what. Home inspection should be Wednesday or Thursday. No visible issues, so keep the fingers crossed.

Does anyone know how hard it is to put an offer on your first house, with the news blaring about unemployment, gas prices and the stock market crashing? I keep telling myself that one should buy when no one else is buying. Do what no one else is doing and you'll be okay.

Isn't that how Warren Buffet made his money? Right? RIGHT?
Sorry, sorry! The dead silence was unintentional. I didn't realize you asked the question and I don't know exactly where your street is. I-640 is the southern boundary of Fountain City and the northern one is just past Black Oak Ridge. The western boundary is about a mile, give or take, west of Broadway, then it becomes North Knoxville as you get closer to Merchants. I just really don't know your area that well, though I know there are these wonderful little pocket neighborhoods with big leafy trees and long-term residents who love the area. I know you're in one of those, but I just can't place your street. It looks like a lovely area.

I've gotten really queasy after I bought property, too. The last property I bought in CA, I called my realtor the next day and told her I had to get out of it. She talked me out of it, and it ended up being a wonderful investment, as well as a nice place to live. Actually, I did that with her twice, because the properties were so expensive, and I just knew the market was going to collapse. The market didn't collapse, and once I removed fear from the equation, I was able to evaluate objectively.

And you know what? The market here might go down, the economy is teetering and gas is on a tear. But none of that means your house isn't a good buy for you right now. That's the beauty of thinking of a house as a long-term investment. The right time to buy is when the right person finds the right house at the right price. What it's worth yesterday or tomorrow is irrelevant if it fits with your financial plan and you have a long-term horizon. Let your head and your heart tell you what to do. If they're in sync, it's the right time and the right house for YOU to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville