Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:06 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,395,762 times

Advertisements

Oh, and consider the home inspector your new best friend. If he red-flags things that could potentially be expensive or "may" be a problem, make the seller take care of them now or demand price concessions to bring them up to par. That's one mistake I (and my wallet) will NEVER make again.

So, that's my 3 H's of real estate: head, heart and home inspector. And, of course, location, location, location. So I guess that's six.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:28 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Worst case scenario, I'm going in $20,000 under value. As you know, I wanted to buy just above the downward curve. I don't want to buy as the prices are going up, so I expect to take a hit. Still, who expected the economy to be this bad?

JMT is going to be miffed. It's not Fountain City?

It's around the Pilleaux area. It might be called Woodland Heights?

I was just talking to a Bearden customer. He says my new neighborhood is often over-looked, but it is a quiet, established area with beautiful homes.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:27 AM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Worst case scenario, I'm going in $20,000 under value. As you know, I wanted to buy just above the downward curve. I don't want to buy as the prices are going up, so I expect to take a hit. Still, who expected the economy to be this bad?

JMT is going to be miffed. It's not Fountain City?

It's around the Pilleaux area. It might be called Woodland Heights?

I was just talking to a Bearden customer. He says my new neighborhood is often over-looked, but it is a quiet, established area with beautiful homes.
Well the real estate listing for your house lists it as "Fountain City" although you're right, it's not in the old, traditional Fountain City area. But it's pretty darn close! You're still a heck of a lot closer to Litton's and the Creamery than I am. sigh

Old 06-10-2008, 12:23 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,545,070 times
Default Simplify

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
JMT, I think we have a strong clue here as to why that particular house struck hiknapster's fancy!

I know that she doesn't hate Linton's or the Creamery! Hint, hint! What a great place to raise a little girl. Lots of walks on a summer evenings for a bite of ice cream before bedtime.

Tinman, when you said you are going to simplify and minimalize, you really mean it! Are you going to live in your trunk?

I am sure that some needy family is adoring your sofa right now. What a better way to clean house than to give things you no longer need or want to someone who cannot afford them for himself.

SMG, you'll just have to be a frequent visitor to hiknapster's new neighborhood!

Tinman, when you said you are going to simplify and minimalize, you really mean it! Are you going to live in your trunk?

Not the truck....... I have a tent if it comes to that. I'll just put a spiked collar on the cat and chain her to the tree at the camp ground..... Next to the tent for a guard kitty.......

Old 06-10-2008, 01:13 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,666,261 times
Congratulations! Hope everything goes well. Do get a good home inspection.
That is a nice area. I used to live in an apartment on Cedar Lane and looked in that area when I was ready to buy. It's a nice, older neighborhood.
I still go back to the Ingles on Merchant Drive every now and then. They have some things I can't find elsewhere.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,791,671 times
Hik congratulations!!!! I am so thrilled for you, it has been a long road to this point. It won't make you feel less anxious but we worry about the economics, the bubbles and all that, too. It helps to think of it as 'long term' and at some point things will have to get better.

I wish I had all sorts of places for you to get things but alas we are still getting lost looking for places ourselves and are too new to have the knowledge so many here have accumulated.

The inspection is a no-brainer, especially if you are worried about economic news. No sense in buying something that will cost more money in these times!

I would also buy new appliances if possible although with a mechanic in the family scratch'n'dent might make sense if things need repairs from a drop or small "oops". I've heard too many horror stories on appliances that were repaired and repaired under warranties and then finally returned for replacements... you don't want the lemon someone sent back! My neighbor down the road is doing that right now with a refrigerator that only makes ice on occasion, when it feels like it or the repairman arrives. I would look into the used furniture suggestions... but then I spent the first 6 months owning this house using a card table and folding chairs for my living, dining room and kitchen furniture.

All the best on your new adventure!

Em

Old 06-10-2008, 03:09 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,666,261 times
Don't buy any appliances until you have a chance to measure the "holes" they go into: height, width, depth (at counter and floor level) and door opening. I almost made a horrible mistake on a refrigerator.
I bought new appliances three years ago at Sears and I'm very happy with them. I really watched for sales, checked consumer reports and spent some time figuring out what features I actually needed and were worth paying more for and what was just cool.
Cruise down Broadway. There are several furniture stores down that way with deals on "freight salvage" and overstocks. And check out Goodwill and Salvation Army. I've seen some wonderful stuff at Salvation Army.
And for moving boxes, go to Dixie Box Company on Middlebrook Pike. Great boxes, sturdier than U-haul and much cheaper. Go to their website and print out the 10% off coupon.
Dixie Box Company, knoxville, tennessee, boxes, moving supplies, shipping supplies, movers, moving, real estate, custom boxes, box manufacturer, boxes, moving boxes, movers boxes
I used them when I moved.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:34 PM

780 posts, read 1,766,762 times
Hip, congrats. hope all goes well for you, it will be nice finally being able to settle in. Tenn is so great although maybe we should be quiet about how great, its going to get overpopulated here soon, LOL.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
More great info, everybody!

Knoxgarden, you should start an information service. Really.

gailli: I wouldn't worry about it. I think I'm the only idiot buying a house.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:20 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,515,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
More great info, everybody!

Knoxgarden, you should start an information service. Really.

gailli: I wouldn't worry about it. I think I'm the only idiot buying a house.
LOL Hik, my brother just closed on his new house last Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville