Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 PM

811 posts, read 2,011,829 times

Advertisements

What about Tiramisu?? Hubby and I wwere talking about that this morning--it is his FAVORITE desert and there was a chain rest. in MD called Bertucci's that we haven't seen down here--I told him you all would know where to send him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:53 PM

592 posts, read 2,136,846 times
We've also become partial to The Gondolier in Halls. I appreciate the fact that they have pretty good food, and the prices are very reasonable. And, the desserts are AMAZING.

Also, the Creamery was good when we tried it (thanks for the heads up JMT).

Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,606,950 times
Rankins on Central has a rep for a good greasy spoon.

I vote for Foothills Milling Co in Maryville as best gourmet, hands down. Though your hands will be down in your pocket digging for your last dime.

I usually enjoy Oodles on Market square. I really like the indoor "outdoor cafe" for rainy days plus it has a real outdoor cafe for when it's nice. I've had some so-so meals but most were quite good.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I vote for Foothills Milling Co in Maryville as best gourmet, hands down. Though your hands will be down in your pocket digging for your last dime.
I thought about mentioning this one also but because it is sooooo pricey I didn't. Great place and food for special occasions.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 PM

780 posts, read 1,767,228 times
It's not in Knoxville but if you are ever traveling during the day(11-3)(Mon-Fri) down Chapman Highway going to Sevierville there is a little place in Seymour called Taste of Country and its owned by three sisters who do all the cooking and baking, they have the best Chicken & Dumplings and the best Chicken Salad, in fact almost everything they make is good. They dont wait on you, you order at the counter, its served on paper plates but the portions are great and the price is even better. Its a must try if you are ever around this area. Its attached to Flyods Market and its on the Right Hand side of the the Highway.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:11 PM

65 posts, read 197,819 times
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I forgot to mention that I wasn't really looking for chain restaurants. I'm all about good local restaurants.

What about seafood in Knoxville? Are there any good places to go?

Old 07-24-2008, 03:50 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,667,788 times
Knoxville's not a big seafood restaurant town, but you'll feel right at home at the Shrimp Dock.
Shrimp Dock - Knoxville, TN (http://www.shrimpdock.com/store/comersus_index.asp - broken link)
There are three or four now around town.
They bring it in from the gulf and sell it fresh. They do some cooking, serve up a decent shrimp po' boy platter. Usually have crawfish.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:50 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think365 View Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I forgot to mention that I wasn't really looking for chain restaurants. I'm all about good local restaurants.

What about seafood in Knoxville? Are there any good places to go?
The afore mentioned Chesapeake's

Old 07-24-2008, 05:34 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,736 times
Sullivan's has an excellent flounder dish.

Also, one of our favorite casual places to go for seafood is Up The Creek in Alcoa. Great crab cakes (I still call them crab patties ) and excellent fried oysters. Some wonderful fish dinners too.

Not alot of places to eat really good seafood. Haven't tried Chesapeakes yet.

I can second the Shrimp Dock. It's where I get my seafood in a pinch (when family isn't coming up from the coast). They have a wonderful shrimp poboy lunch and their freezer is full of some cooked up dishes. I can highly recommend some of those as well. However, if you see a sign on the boiled shrimp, crabs or crawfish that says "spicy", it's not spicy at all, very bland. Maybe by Knoxville standards it's spicy, but not N.O. I'm thinking that maybe you can ask at the counter and get the "good stuff" from the back room or something.

There's another place here too that sells seafood. I haven't been yet, but a friend frequents it often and recommends it:

Coastal Connections ~ Seafood Market

Old 07-24-2008, 06:11 AM

13,358 posts, read 40,003,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbG View Post
Sullivan's has an excellent flounder dish.

Also, one of our favorite casual places to go for seafood is Up The Creek in Alcoa. Great crab cakes (I still call them crab patties ) and excellent fried oysters. Some wonderful fish dinners too.
Up the Creek is another national chain. It was started by the guys who started Applebee's and has locations as far away as North Dakota.

I agree with Shrimp Dock, though, and Chesapeake's. Otherwise I'm afraid knoxgarden is right, Knoxville is a town that doesn't seem to crave fresh seafood very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville