Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 PM

65 posts, read 197,577 times

Advertisements

By best restaurant I really mean the restaurant with the best food, not necessarily the nicest restaurant. Its doesn't matter what kind of food (I'm not picky and like to try different things) nor does it matter if the restaurant is fine dining or just a casual place.

I will be moving from New Orleans to Knoxville next month, so good food is something that is near and dear to my heart. So does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 09:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
Knoxville has a good variety of places, all the normal chains, and depends on you taste. Regas has been around forever, and they now have several places, Connors, The Chop House, and lots of folks like Brass Lantern, located in west Knoxville, and also on the UT strip. Best place for a burger, is Littons in Fountain City, 3 different Puelos, and for seafood and steaks, Chesapeakes located downtown,and another great place is Brassarie on Northshore, and the Bonefish is great, with 2 locations. For best steaks, Flemmings located on Parkside, then you have Parkside Grille , Lakeside grille, and one of my wifes favorite is PF Changs. Plenty more, too many to mentions. Enjoy, and if you want good food with Jazz bands, then try Bakers Peters.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:23 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
Knoxville has a good variety of places, all the normal chains, and depends on you taste. Regas has been around forever, and they now have several places, Connors, The Chop House, and lots of folks like Brass Lantern, located in west Knoxville, and also on the UT strip. Best place for a burger, is Littons in Fountain City, 3 different Puelos, and for seafood and steaks, Chesapeakes located downtown,and another great place is Brassarie on Northshore, and the Bonefish is great, with 2 locations. For best steaks, Flemmings located on Parkside, then you have Parkside Grille , Lakeside grille, and one of my wifes favorite is PF Changs. Plenty more, too many to mentions. Enjoy, and if you want good food with Jazz bands, then try Bakers Peters.
Where is the Brass Lantern in Knoxville? Never heard of it.

Fleming's looks great, by the way, I didn't realize it was there.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:42 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,672 times
I'm Cajun, from south MS, but family from N.O. as well. Still miss the food, but there's noplace like N.O. for the food. We do have several favorites here, though:

Puleo's -- hands down, my favorite

Conner's -- excellent food

Abuleos -- at Turkey Creek, great food

Aubrey's -- think O'Charley's ---just better food

Sullivan's Downtown -- over in Maryville, great food! There's one on Bearden Hill too, just haven't visited it yet.

Buddy's Barbecue -- great cheap fast food restaurant when you are looking for bbq

Lenny's -- for subs

TomatoHead -- wonderful, but pricey for what they serve. We eat there only occasionally.

Mimi's (down at Turkey Creek) -- great breakfasts, make that awesome breakfasts, but only average menu for lunch and dinner.

Litton's -- for burgers and dessert

Calhoun's is a staple up here, but I haven't eaten anything that was impressive. To me, the food is average.

For Cajun, you've got:

Bayou Bay -- some stuff really tasty, some average

New Orleans Sandwich Shoppe -- over in Gatlinburg, great roast beef poboys

Here's a link to restaurants with some reviews:

Knoxville Dining at a Glance - Restaurant Listing

Old 07-23-2008, 06:54 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
To the OP:

Notice that some of the restaurants listed are national chains (Lenny's, Mimi's, Flemings, Bonefish, PF Chang's) that can be found in just about any big city. I'm sad to report that Knoxvillians seem to love chain restaurants a LOT, and there just aren't very many locally-owned restaurants.

Here are the locally-owned stuff that I like (some have already been mentioned):

Litton's - awesome burgers
Taste of Havana - great Cuban food
Northshore Brasserie - Belgian food (and beer), amazing desserts
Tomato Head - great pizzas, salads, vegetarian stuff, fun atmosphere downtown
Harby's - the best pizzas in town!
Copper Cellar - steaks, burgers, sandwiches, a favorite college hang-out
Nama - sushi, other good Japanese food
Pancake Pantry - a Gatlinburg staple. You may think you've had good pancakes before, but the Pancake Pantry will knock your socks off.

There are others but I'm running out the door to go teach a summer school class. My students would riot if I were late (yeah right).

Old 07-23-2008, 07:26 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Probably my favorite non-chain everyday restaurant is Angelo's Brick Oven in Lenoir City. Well worth the drive. I still am an old Regas fan. I like PF Changs also; it may be a chain but the local folks working here make it seem very special. Sullivan's in downtown Maryville is a nice place.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
By the way, someone, and I don't remember who, said that Elidio's in Dante had the best pizza. I think they said the best "New York" pizza. Well, I am not a fan of New York pizza, and my family is not, either, but we found it to be very good pizza, and I think that it IS the best New York pizza I ever had.

Further, this was a Saturday night and they were extremely busy with "To Go" orders.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Probably my favorite non-chain everyday restaurant is Angelo's Brick Oven in Lenoir City. Well worth the drive. I still am an old Regas fan. I like PF Changs also; it may be a chain but the local folks working here make it seem very special. Sullivan's in downtown Maryville is a nice place.

That does it! We are going to have to drive over to Lenoir City to try Angelo's. We've gotten too many good recommendations to ignore.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:11 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,348 times
A few more non-chains:
Kalamata Cafe on Northshore. An odd Greek/Japanese fusion with excellent sushi and shish kabob. Live music on weekends.
Sunspot on the UT Strip. I go mainly for the homemade sweet potato chips. Good simple food, excellent people watching.
Taste of Thai on N. Peters. Simply the best Thai food. Fresh and well seasoned.
Mellow Mushroom. Regional chain but I do like their Pesto Pizza.
Naples for Italian
Ye Olde Steak House for traditional steak house fare. Down on Chapman Highway. Excellent steaks.
We've got lots of good restaurants here. You'll just have to get out and find your favorites!

FYI: I've spent some weekends in New Orleans. My favorite restaurants there were a little place called Maxie's Coffee Pot which had a different name last time I was there, great she-crab soup and red beans and rice; Galatoires and Cafe du Monde, of course, for people watching. I tried Brennans and the Three Sisters, felt both were overrated.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 07-23-2008 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM

36 posts, read 148,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
To the OP:

Pancake Pantry - a Gatlinburg staple. You may think you've had good pancakes before, but the Pancake Pantry will knock your socks off.
I gotta say I think I'm gonna be hard pressed to find pancakes that top Aretha Frankensteins in Chatt. Sounds like a place i need to check out.
What about a good greasy spoon diner sort of place? Anything like that there?

And I have been really wanting some Cafe du Monde beignets and coffee lately. I have the coffee but its just not the same alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville