Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 09:13 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
If you could bankroll a campaign, you could no doubt become an elected official in LV and become a pillar of the community.
Oh good. You have been almost rational in some of your pronouncements...back to basics.

Well perhaps you will enlighten us. We have the County Council, the City of Las Vegas, The City of Henderson, The City of North Las Vegas, Boulder City...How many felony convictions among the present incumbents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 01:11 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapyhary View Post
well,
what about someone like me. convicted of armed robbery in 1975, was sentanced to 30 years. made parole in 1987 (12 yrs later). i am white. connected with two black guys in residential construction (with perfect records). we three became partners, 3 way split on everything. together from 1987 til 2002. built many custom homes. may of 2002 we three retired. i went to work for home depot. 6 monthes later i became the department supervisor of hardware, controled inventory, handled cash (in excess of $20,000.00 when i closed the store at night) and was on the list for assistant manager. my wife wants to move to las vegas for a job that will triple her wages (over $90,000.00 a year), so we moved here in 2005. i have not been able to get employment yet. NO ONE will hire me. homedepot would not except my transfer. we are lucky that my wife makes the money she does. but i can't find a job. so now i cook, clean, take care of our two boxers at home and fix computers for other people for free. and i live in summerlin. BUT I CAN NOT FIND WORK IN LAS VEGAS......oh and i forgot to mention that i met my wife in jail. she was the nurse there. she was married to a butt-head and had three good sons. i got out in 1987 and moved in with her the day after the divorce in 1987. sons at the time were 12, 9 and 2 . we got married in 1989. now it is 2008. oldest son retired from us airforce after 10 years and lives here in las vegas. works in commercial construction and is in the union. middle son did 4 years in us army got out married a girl in kansas and is now a police officer and will retire as one. and the youngest is in the us army and was just transfered to his base in KY awaiting deployment to iraq. seems to me that i have been pretty successful..... SO WHATS UP.....WHY WILL NO ONE HIRE ME....AM I THAT BAD OF A PERSON......HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR THE CRIME I COMMITED WHEN I WAS 20 YEARS OLD AND I AM NOW 53, 54 IN MARCH??????????LIKE I SAID WHATS UP WITH THAT...........
I have a friend in California that has a felony conviction. She cannot get work either.
It doesn't seem to matter if someone is totally reformed. Most employer's just look at the conviction and reject people based on that. That's just the way the system is.

However, I did read something about a care center somewhere in Las Vegas where people will work with former inmates and help them find work. I think it was an article in the Review-Journal or a news story on one of the local channels. Just do some searches and see what you come up with. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:46 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
The final test is an onsight observation of the employee when they arrive for work. If I don't like something about their conduct or I get the wrong answers, I dimiss them from the jobsite. I'm well within my rights to establsh and enforce my standards of conduct . . . In the recent past, I had to do that with a couple of flooring guys.
They came shirtless, and I observed tattoos that I know as prison tattoos . . . A few years ago, I also dismissed a whole crew who were in the process of building a swmming pool. One of my standards is that no alcohol will be consumed on my property or during the work day, incluing their lunch. One day I found spent beer bottles in my trash and nobody would admit to disposing of them . . .
You're certainly within your rights to do that, but holy cow do you sound like a pain in the ass!

Old 02-03-2008, 05:49 AM

416 posts, read 1,713,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I have a friend in California that has a felony conviction. She cannot get work either.
It doesn't seem to matter if someone is totally reformed. Most employer's just look at the conviction and reject people based on that. That's just the way the system is.
I agree and a lot about "the system" sucks. We can change it. Most folks just follow suit to fit in anyway. So let's start changing suits and let them follow.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:28 AM

12 posts, read 99,080 times
If I had my own construction business,I would hire ex Felons,cause the
jail toughen them up,and they would be solid worker to have.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:53 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,332,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Oh good. You have been almost rational in some of your pronouncements...back to basics.

Well perhaps you will enlighten us. We have the County Council, the City of Las Vegas, The City of Henderson, The City of North Las Vegas, Boulder City...How many felony convictions among the present incumbents?
You have once again shown us all the logic of a loser. Perhaps you worked for the worst company in American history---Xerox. Who said anything about INCUMBENTS? Learn to listen!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
You have once again shown us all the logic of a loser. Perhaps you worked for the worst company in American history---Xerox. Who said anything about INCUMBENTS? Learn to listen!
You said....

Quote:
If you could bankroll a campaign, you could no doubt become an elected official in LV and become a pillar of the community.
That would make him an incumbent.

One can get elected to office and then become a felon. But the other way around is very unlikely. And obviously you know of no exception.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 AM

A felon is absolutely allowed to hold office in Clark Co; and with the most recent election of 6/07 producing a voter turnout of @11%, many seats were probably won with under 1000 votes. With a bankroll, and the proper campaign strategy, the apathy and ignorance of the LV voter, ANY canidate could be elected, regardless of criminal record. Main point being, no one will be refused opportunity for past record.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
A felon is absolutely allowed to hold office in Clark Co; and with the most recent election of 6/07 producing a voter turnout of @11%, many seats were probably won with under 1000 votes. With a bankroll, and the proper campaign strategy, the apathy and ignorance of the LV voter, ANY canidate could be elected, regardless of criminal record. Main point being, no one will be refused opportunity for past record.
But you know of no example. Is that how I should read that?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
But you know of no example. Is that how I should read that?
What in the world are you talking about? The author of his thread contends employment was denied him due to criminal record. Employment as an elected official in Clark Co will in no way be denied due to criminal history. Get it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas