Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:21 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,474,501 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am just old fashioned but I can't imagine his story. He said he married the single Mother/Nurse who worked in the Jail??

Am I the only one who is taken aback at the idea of bringing a man home to my children who was convicted of armed robbery? Nevermind hiring someone with that background?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 09:37 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,337,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Maybe I am just old fashioned but I can't imagine his story. He said he married the single Mother/Nurse who worked in the Jail??

Am I the only one who is taken aback at the idea of bringing a man home to my children who was convicted of armed robbery? Nevermind hiring someone with that background?
While felons lose some rights, such as gun ownership and voting rights, I don't believe equal employment opportunity is one of them.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff View Post
While felons lose some rights, such as gun ownership and voting rights, I don't believe equal employment opportunity is one of them.
Yet employers are allowed to ask about criminal backgrounds AND use that as a reason to not hire someone.

I can't imagine preferring not to hire people who have a violent background could EVER be held against an employer, or someone wanting to rent a house or an apartment to someone.

If I found out I worked with someone like this, I would find another job.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Yet employers are allowed to ask about criminal backgrounds AND use that as a reason to not hire someone.

I can't imagine preferring not to hire people who have a violent background could EVER be held against an employer, or someone wanting to rent a house or an apartment to someone.

If I found out I worked with someone like this, I would find another job.
But yet, a job as an elected official, can and do show no preference based on criminal record. Doesn't this mean the majority should also abide by these standards?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
But yet, a job as an elected official, can and do show no preference based on criminal record. Doesn't this mean the majority should also abide by these standards?
NO, I think its appalling that elected officials can have a criminal record with a violent felony.

Sorry but I don't feel sorry for someone who willingly picked up a gun and commited a robbery with it. My sorry is for his victims who might to this day still be effected by his actions.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:08 AM

416 posts, read 1,715,528 times
Quote:
Private companies, people owning private property, etc., should be allowed to discriminate. When it's a public job, function or public property (so government/government-owned instead), I don't agree that discrimination should be allowed.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
NO, I think its appalling that elected officials can have a criminal record with a violent felony.

Sorry but I don't feel sorry for someone who willingly picked up a gun and commited a robbery with it. My sorry is for his victims who might to this day still be effected by his actions.
So, you believe, "once a criminal, always a criminal"? Don't you think some felons' intent is non-existent, or a one time aberration?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
So, you believe, "once a criminal, always a criminal"? Don't you think some felons' intent is non-existent, or a one time aberration?
I think once someone has exhibited the agression to involve themselves in a violent felony, people and companies have a RIGHT and responsibility to protect themselves.

Personally, the woman who choose her dating pool from the prison infirmary is NUTS. Apparently no one had any common sense in allowing her to expose her children to this felon. I would hope if I ever lost my mind to that extent someone would rescue my daughter from the situation.

If I were to hire a company to work in and around my home, for my own safety, I would make sure that there are no felons on the crew. I have already taken that precaution with the man who mows my lawn and misc. other things from time to time.

What kind of parent would I be if I did anything less?

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.

Thats just common sense.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,256,058 times
Quote:
Felons have all sorts of restrictions on holding office. Heavy felons are effectively barred forever. They can get a judge to allow them to run but I don't believe it has ever happened.

Remember we have a certain fondness for our miscreants. The big park in the NW is Floyd Lamb. Lamb is a convicted felon. When enough time has passed and enough of his friends have left the legislature I expect it will revert to Tule Springs...but not yet.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Remember we have a certain fondness for our miscreants. The big park in the NW is Floyd Lamb. Lamb is a convicted felon. When enough time has passed and enough of his friends have left the legislature I expect it will revert to Tule Springs...but not yet.
ya gotta remember OleCapt.....Floyd n his brother the Sheriff n his other brother the Councilmen [I think] never took a kickback that didnt benefit the City/State/County FIRST......kinda like political Robin Hoods.....

and also....don't forget Senator Howard Cannon [related by blood and honesty to the Lambs]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas