Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 08:52 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshome View Post
I could really use some help in making a decision.We moved to las vegas 16months ago.We have 3 children,all in school here. It really takes alot to get used to. I'm from a small town in Ohio. So this is very scary here. The crazy drivers here are unbeliveable. But i'm getting used to it.My children really want to move back home. We miss the snow, the fall, and the small town feel.But my husband has a better job here. To be honest the people we have met here are all really great. People here seem to be more friendly and outgoing. I hear you should give it at least 2 years until it starts to feel like home. Is this about right? Or if i'm not used to it by now maybe it just isn't for us?
It may be different for families versus single people. I moved there in October of 2000 and instantly loved it and felt right at home, but then, I bought a home in Southfork right by St. Rose Hospital and it's a very comfortable part of Green Valley to live in. I agree most people are friendly and what seems like crazy driving is actually following a strange etiquette somehow..you get used to it, though the four lane lane-changers who make abrupt decisions to take an exit I never got used to!
I have heard the schools are rough and tough, and nothing is more miserable for young kids than a tough school experience. I think you have to make the decision that works best for your family! A lot of people never get used to Las Vegas, or, they accept the first two or three summers, but then skip town because the climate is just too extreme for them. I wish I could give you better advice. I just don't know what I'd do if it were me in your situation with children to think of either, though I agree with other posters that it's usually hard to go back to where one came from because it....and you...change, even if it's slight, and it'll never be the same as it was, which can be disconcerting too. That happened to me when I tried to go back home to my original home in California..I just wasn't the same person and my relationship to it had changed to the point that it seemed foreign and familiar at the same time, kind of like going into your parent's house as a long independent adult and feeling funny about opening their refrigerator to grab something to eat...it's no longer YOUR house and although they're family...you feel the change and the distinction and can't go back (plus my parents eat nasty natural stuff now..ick) ...

Last edited by MoMark; 11-21-2006 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2006, 10:05 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,685,477 times
I have found that if you move to the older, established neighborhoods, especially near Pecos and Tropicana like Flamingo Crest, Montara Estates, Biscaya Circle, the people are very nice and have been living there since the houses were built and don't move away as much as the newer communities.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:46 AM

24 posts, read 106,670 times
I have moved around for shorter periods quite a bit. I think you really have to work at it to make the best of it. If you sit around and wait for it to come to you it won't happen. Try to find out as much as you can about the city. I love to read up on everywhere I go. Get to know the history (not just the mobsters) or the architecture or whatever. Find out what's going on in the city (I find the upcoming art district very interesting) and in your community. Get involved in something if you can.

Also, it is human nature to remember the good things about places. But that's never the complete picture. I love everywhere that I have been. I love romanticizing about those places and reflecting on it. You don't have that if you don't move. Maybe that's just me because I have merely had good experiences. Or is that just in my memory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: