Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 12:56 PM

901 posts, read 1,898,042 times

Advertisements

Rather than clog up the recent T-mobile Home Internet thread, I thought it would be best to start a new one, where feedback for all home internet options could be discussed.

Verizon 5G Home Internet recently became available in my area (89183). I’ve been curious, so when I experienced a 4 hour Cox outage a few days ago, one of several outages lately, I was irritated enough to explore other options, so here we go….

Initial impression of Verizon 5G Home is very positive. The device is a cube, roughly 6” x 6” x 6”. Basic setup is simple. Total time is less than 10 minutes, which includes initial boot up and logging into the device to customize the network SSID and password. The MyVerizon app walks you through every step.

Performance has been much better than anticipated. I have a few Nest cams and several other devices connected to my network. Streaming on multiple devices simultaneously has been flawless. I can’t tell a difference between this and Cox Gigablast. Speed wise I got 324 down, 28 up this morning. I consistently get in the mid to upper 200s down and 17+ up throughout the day. Personally, I think those speed tests are largely irrelevant and more about “bragging rights” anyway, at least for the average person. As long as my network can handle what I need it to do, I’ll sacrifice some speed for stability, not to mention saving roughly $100/mo along the way.

Signal strength out of the box is strong, but I wanted to enhance coverage throughout my property with a mesh network using my Eero 6 Pros. It took a little digging to figure it out, but I was finally able to put the cube into “pass through” mode and let my Eeros handle the all the Wi-Fi network itself. I want to emphasize that using a mesh network is not necessary. The cube and it’s basic setup is all you need. Anything else is personal preference. If you don’t have a mesh network now, you won’t need one here.

All plans are no contract with unlimited data. They start at $25/mo for VZW customers, which includes a 2 year price lock. A “plus” plan is $35/mo, which includes a 3 year price lock, a few more perks, and potentially higher speeds that rival Cox Gigablast. Note: simply selecting the “plus” plan will not guarantee highest advertised speeds, even if 5G Home is available in your area. That’s solely dependent on where you live. The highest speeds aren’t available at my address, so I went back and opted for the cheaper plan during the checkout process. However, I’m still more than satisfied with the performance I’m getting. The plans are double the price for non-VZW customers. That’s still cheaper than Cox, so it may be an option for those who can’t get T-mobile home.

If you’re interested, go to VZW’s website, type your address in to see if it’s available. Give it a shot. Verizon has a 30 day money back guarantee if you’re not satisfied with any aspect of the service, so nothing to lose.

Bottom line - I’m going to continue to test and evaluate for another week or so. If the stability and performance continues as is, dumping Cox will be a no brainer.

Last edited by Trash Can; 06-13-2022 at 01:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 03:47 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
^ Thanks for the write-up

Old 06-13-2022, 03:56 PM

7,746 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Performance has been much better than anticipated... I can’t tell a difference between this and Cox Gigablast. Speed wise I got 324 down, 28 up this morning. I consistently get in the mid to upper 200s down and 17+ up throughout the day.
That's great to hear. This provides some legitimate competition to Cox, and the competition should make both services better over time.

Quote:
Personally, I think those speed tests are largely irrelevant and more about “bragging rights” anyway, at least for the average person. As long as my network can handle what I need it to do, I’ll sacrifice some speed for stability, not to mention saving roughly $100/mo along the way.
Makes sense.

I also suspect that upon launching a speedtest, routing of packets change to suddenly get the best dedicated circuits or whatever it is called... that is, I suspect the speedtests near instantaneously cause the vendors from point to point to use their best gear & priority to put their best foot forward in ways they do not once you're just trying to use the internet for everyday activities and streaming.

Quote:
Bottom line - I’m going to continue to test and evaluate for another week or so. If the stability and performance continues as is, dumping Cox will be a no brainer.
Thanks for the review!

Old 06-16-2022, 02:46 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,516,151 times
no surprise here - not available in pahrump

Old 06-17-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
no surprise here - not available in pahrump
Starlink….

The monthly cost rivals Cox with a large one time equipment fee.

A friend of mine has it and consistently gets 200 dn/20 up.

It’s not for me for a variety of reasons but it is an option, especially for those in rural areas.

https://www.starlink.com/

Old 06-17-2022, 01:19 PM

WeLink….. https://welink.com/

Relatively new ISP in Las Vegas.

They provide “wireless fiber speed” for as low as $70/mo on a 2 year contract or no contract for $80/mo.

There is a waiting list.

The review below is by a new WeLink customer in Las Vegas.

https://youtu.be/QcmvaI06qcM

Old 06-17-2022, 10:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,087 times
Hi
first post here.
18 years with Cox, the first 17 very happy. but the past year not so much. it started in March 2021 with intermittent outages. sometimes 5 minutes to 20 minutes, from 10am till 4pm mostly. they sent a guy out 5 times over a month or so back then. no fix. 3 of the 5 guys told me to ask for a maintenance tech service guy when I called back including the first guy yet they never sent one. things seemed a little better for awhile but within a couple of months back to the same.

Over the past 2 months it's got much worse for me starting at 7:30am till 8pm. outside of these times my service works great. people around me have had trouble also.

Thus me looking around to see how wide spread this is. and my need of a new service.

Old 06-18-2022, 02:23 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,516,151 times
Quote:
Starlink….

The monthly cost rivals Cox with a large one time equipment fee.

A friend of mine has it and consistently gets 200 dn/20 up.

It’s not for me for a variety of reasons but it is an option, especially for those in rural areas.

https://www.starlink.com/

not available quite yet in pahrump. guesstimating 2023

Old 06-19-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1madmadworld View Post
Hi
first post here.
18 years with Cox, the first 17 very happy. but the past year not so much. it started in March 2021 with intermittent outages. sometimes 5 minutes to 20 minutes, from 10am till 4pm mostly. they sent a guy out 5 times over a month or so back then. no fix. 3 of the 5 guys told me to ask for a maintenance tech service guy when I called back including the first guy yet they never sent one. things seemed a little better for awhile but within a couple of months back to the same.

Over the past 2 months it's got much worse for me starting at 7:30am till 8pm. outside of these times my service works great. people around me have had trouble also.

Thus me looking around to see how wide spread this is. and my need of a new service.
Our Cox service took a turn for the worst about 2-3 years ago when there was a lot of construction near our community. It seemed to get better when the construction was complete, although “better” is a relative term.

Also, how old is your modem and router? Those things don’t last forever.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:35 AM

6 posts, read 6,087 times
Quote:

Also, how old is your modem and router? Those things don’t last forever.
Thanks for the reply

About 2 years old.
They sent a guy out with a "test" modem it was the same with it. I just lost time looking for a new one and a call to the MFG to complain about it in the meantime. LOL

For awhile I was thinking they couldn't get a "part" that was needed, slowed by supply chain troubles, but now I'm just done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas