Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2023, 01:53 PM

1,629 posts, read 1,716,459 times

Advertisements

Just got an email from NVEnergy:

"Thank you for your participation in the Equal Pay - Flat Rate program. As part of Equal Pay, your monthly payment amount is reviewed periodically to adjust for any changes in your average, historical energy usage. We recently completed a review of your account and have increased your monthly bill..."

It went from $95/month to $144/month. Holy cow, what a huge percentage increase! 51.58% to be exact. Guess I should have kept the thermostat lower all winter. I work from home and wear a sweatshirt all day, but I refuse to be cold and set it to 73 during the day and 68 at night to sleep.

$588/year more for my power bill. I can afford it, but wonder how many people here can't? People that already had high power bills must be freaking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 02:53 PM

222 posts, read 385,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post

"Thank you for your participation in the Equal Pay - Flat Rate program. As part of Equal Pay, your monthly payment amount is reviewed periodically to adjust for any changes in your average, historical energy usage. We recently completed a review of your account and have increased your monthly bill..."

It went from $95/month to $144/month. Holy cow, what a huge percentage increase! 51.58% to be exact. Guess I should have kept the thermostat lower all winter. I work from home and wear a sweatshirt all day, but I refuse to be cold and set it to 73 during the day and 68 at night to sleep.

$588/year more for my power bill. I can afford it, but wonder how many people here can't? People that already had high power bills must be freaking out.
This is what happens when you put most of your eggs in one proverbial basket and then the price of supplying that basket goes through the roof. Most of our power comes from natural gas and everyone knows what’s happened to natural gas prices since the war started in Ukraine. Our Dec/Jan bills went from like 250 last year to around 450 this year. Last summer our bills were 550-600 so we’re expecting close to $1000 this year. Luckily we can afford it too.

Old 03-09-2023, 05:02 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,075,723 times
Yup, my bill is ~50% higher. I'd have to look in detail but it appears TOU rates (which I am on) went up noticeably more than the regular rate schedule. I see current non-TOU rates at $0.144/kwh whereas I feel like they were around $0.115/kwh before (might be off on that)?? Current TOU rates are $0.10/kwh whereas it used to be $0.06/kwh.

The payback period on solar looks better!

Old 03-10-2023, 06:25 PM

7,854 posts, read 3,843,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post

The reality is our Federal Government and our State Government have affirmative polices to drive down the consumption of energy in order to combat climate change/global warming, and the tactic is to raise the price of energy by closing down less-expensive non-green powerplants across the nation

In addition, Nevada Energy sells power to California at below-market rates, as California has been aggressive in shutting down non-green power plants.

Here's a partial list of California's closed plants:

Argus Cogeneration Plant - Trona, California: The Argus Cogeneration Plant was a coal-fired power plant located in the Searles Valley of San Bernardino County. It was shut down in 2018 due to stricter emissions regulations and competition from cheaper natural gas.

Oakland Power Plant - Oakland, California: The Oakland Power Plant was a coal-fired power plant that operated from 1902 to 2009. It was shut down due to its age, high maintenance costs, and public pressure for cleaner energy sources.

Morro Bay Power Plant - Morro Bay, California: The Morro Bay Power Plant was a coal-fired power plant located on the central coast of California. It was shut down in 2014 due to concerns about the plant's impact on the local environment, including air pollution and water use.

San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station - San Diego County, California: While not a coal-fired plant, San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) was a major power generation facility in California. The plant was closed in 2013 due to safety concerns after a small radiation leak occurred, leading to the discovery of significant damage to the facility's steam generators.

Note that while these plants have all been shut down, California still imports some electricity from coal-fired power plants located in other states.

Instead of looking at the price tag of energy (the new $144/month bill), focus on energy you actually consume. You'll discover you're not consuming that much more energy; it is just that our politicians have proactively driven up the price of energy as part of their eco-green agenda.

Next up: politicians will fall all over themselves to offer subsidies to low-income BIPOC voters in the name of "energy equity."

Last edited by moguldreamer; 03-10-2023 at 06:39 PM..

Old 03-10-2023, 06:32 PM

7,854 posts, read 3,843,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKLAS View Post
This is what happens when you put most of your eggs in one proverbial basket and then the price of supplying that basket goes through the roof. Most of our power comes from natural gas and everyone knows what’s happened to natural gas prices since the war started in Ukraine. Our Dec/Jan bills went from like 250 last year to around 450 this year. Last summer our bills were 550-600 so we’re expecting close to $1000 this year. Luckily we can afford it too.
Our government has a policy of driving the consumption of power down.

Here are some of the power plants that have closed in recent memory:

Here is a list of electrical power generation plants that have closed in the USA, grouped by source:

Coal-fired power plants that have recently closed in the USA:
  • Kincaid Power Station - Illinois - Shut down in 2018
  • Navajo Generating Station - Arizona - Shut down in 2019
  • Paradise Fossil Plant - Kentucky - Shut down in 2020
  • AES Hawaii Power Plant - Hawaii - Shut down in 2020
  • Killen Generating Station - Ohio - Shut down in 2018
  • Conesville Power Plant - Ohio - Shut down in 2018
  • Joliet Power Station - Illinois - Shut down in 2019
  • Brayton Point Power Station - Massachusetts - Shut down in 2017
  • Salem Harbor Power Station - Massachusetts - Shut down in 2014
  • Big Bend Power Station - Florida - Shut down in 2020
  • Sherburne County Generating Station - Minnesota - Shut down in 2021
  • Scherer Power Plant - Georgia - Partially shut down in 2021, remaining units to close in 2022 and 2025
  • W.A. Parish Power Plant - Texas - Shutting down in 2022 and 2023

The last coal-fired power plant in Nevada, the Reid Gardner Generating Station located near Moapa, was shut down in 2017.

Nuclear power plants that have closed in the USA:
  • Three Mile Island Nuclear Generating Station - Pennsylvania - Shut down in 2019
  • Kewaunee Power Station - Wisconsin - Shut down in 2013
  • Vermont Yankee Nuclear Power Plant - Vermont - Shut down in 2014
  • Oyster Creek Nuclear Generating Station - New Jersey - Shut down in 2018
  • Natural gas power plants that have closed in the USA:
  • Oakland Power Plant - Michigan - Shut down in 2011
  • South Bay Power Plant - California - Shut down in 2013
  • Redondo Beach Power Plant - California - Shut down in 2013
  • San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station - California - Shut down in 2013
  • Brayton Point Power Station - Massachusetts - Shut down in 2017

Hydroelectric power plants that have closed in the USA:
  • Cannelton Hydroelectric Plant - Kentucky - Shut down in 2016
  • Turner Falls Hydroelectric Plant - Massachusetts - Shut down in 2018
  • Kennebec River Power Plant - Maine - Shut down in 2016
Note that this list is not exhaustive

Currently to build a new electrical transmission line takes about 10 years from start to finish. But you have to add to that another 13 years to get the permits to start.

This summer, we can forecast Nevada will have brown-outs and black-outs as power is sold to California to keep their lights on and charge their Teslas, just as it happened last summer.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 449 times
WA Parish is a 3,687 MW facility that can power more than 360,000 average homes and is operating.

The generating units provide almost 4% of all the power in ERCOT. It is dispatchable power and built to run whenever Texans need power, no matter the time of day. The plant is comprised of four coal units and four gas units.

Unit 8 shut down after the fire in 2022, but is being restored and scheduled to return to service July 1.

NRG sold its interest in Petra Nova (which removes the carbon from Unit 8 emissions) to its partner, JX Nippon in 2022, and continues to be involved as the operator. Petra Nova is dependent on flue gas from WA Parish Unit 8 to operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: