Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 01:05 PM

317 posts, read 828,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish4evr View Post
move to arizona....(maricopa county) ask sheriff joe to hook you up.....dealing with illegals is his specialty !
vs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintraveler View Post
ignore this advice and go see an immigration attorney. He will not be able to get a u.s. Passport because he isn't a u.s. Resident. You need to work on the residency part first. Best of luck to you and your boyfriend.
Yeah, you are right. Your advice was so much better than what austintraveler advised.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,978,427 times
I have the solution for getting married here in the US only if his Passport has NOT expired in his own country.

If the Passport is Currently valid they can go to Las Vegas...fill out the license form...show her US ID as a citizen along with his Photo Passport ID and they can get hitched the same day.

How do I know this?.....I did that with a Mexican woman.

We were married in a Church ceremony in Mexico City...returned to Calif...and later drove to Las Vegas...went to the license bureau...filled out the forms....showed my US ID and she had her Mexico Passport...2 hrs later were married in a Civil ceremony.

That is the CORRECT answer compared to above posts?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 AM

9,022 posts, read 13,890,304 times
Op,please watch out. He might be leading you THINK he loves you when he really doesn't.
Are you sure he is not using you?

In any event,if you are really in love,you can marry him,then you both apply for a temporary visa. He doesn't have to go back to Guatemala for you to marry him.
An attorney is the best thing to get btw

Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,863,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I have the solution for getting married here in the US only if his Passport has NOT expired in his own country.

If the Passport is Currently valid they can go to Las Vegas...fill out the license form...show her US ID as a citizen along with his Photo Passport ID and they can get hitched the same day.

We were married in a Church ceremony in Mexico City...returned to Calif...and later drove to Las Vegas...went to the license bureau...filled out the forms....showed my US ID and she had her Mexico Passport...2 hrs later were married in a Civil ceremony.

But that didn't make her a US Citizen. And did she come into the US illegally?

Old 10-01-2012, 05:55 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,397,386 times
You come here and ask how to break the law and expect an answer that is both viable and useful.
You moving to Guatemala should solve both the issue of your boyfriend being in this country illegally and ridding the U.S. of someone who is here legally but is quite destructive to U.S. interests.

Last edited by julian17033; 10-01-2012 at 06:04 AM..

Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,800,027 times
Getting married in Las Vegas does not make the boyfriend legal. It just means they can tell people they got married in Vegas.

The boyfriend is still illegal. He still has to return to his country and then his new wife has to apply to bring him to this country. Unfortunately ICE views Vegas marriages as ' Marriages of convenience" and he would never get a visa. You think they never encountered this before ? She would still have to go to his country and marry him there and then start the process.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,863,998 times
Cute, but Guatemala isn't in Mexico (although they do share a border). I'm guessing that since the OP says the BF "walked into the US" that he did so via the Mexico/US border.

The OP was a one-time poster and I rather doubt she'll come back to the forum with any updates. Maybe she could get in touch with the OP on another recent thread who works for an organization who assists illegal immigrants ...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/legal...iven-here.html

Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 AM

26,097 posts, read 22,290,891 times
OP did state that she would one day like to marry him so I'm not sure he has asked or that it is urgent. Perhaps, it is the boyfriend who is fishing for an answer? I, like many other people, have believed that if an illegal married a US resident that they would be able to stay in the country and that isn't so. My son who is in the military married a resident of a foreign country and they both were questioned in detail about each other and their relationship. I also believe there is a financial element in granting entrance so that the taxpayers don't end up with the burden of caring for the immigrant.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM

24,814 posts, read 11,217,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Veas should work. He will have to file AOS. Personally I would go through an attorney to do that. Almost every town has a latino support group for such services.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,800,027 times
No , Vegas will not work. Once illegal, always illegal. Entering the country illegally and marrying does not change the illegal status.

She has to go to Guatamala and marry him there. Then she comes back to the US and starts the process to have him admitted as her spouse.

Marrying in Guatamala and sneaking back into this country and marrying in Vegas will not make him legal. He is still entering the country illegally.

He has to leave the country, get married or get engaged to her while in his country. Then she can begin to file K-1 ( change of status) to get him admitted as a spouse or after two years as a fiance.

Simply marrying does not and never will confer legal status. You need those documents from ICE saying you can legally enter and stay here. A marriage certificate is not one of those documents. You have to go through the legal immigration process.

But if you do back and read the OP she is not talking about marrying him right now. He simply wants a way to get legal ID in this country. That is not going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration