Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM

987 posts, read 1,386,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
He could do the legal thing and go back to Guatemala then apply to become a citizen of the United States then he can legally get the stamp on his passport then he can legally get the identification card and you can legally get married. Otherwise you could go to Guatamala with him and he won't have to worry about the legal stamp on his passport or the identification.
If he can get a visa to come into the U.S. from Guatamala legally, that's fine if he can qualify for a visa! You can also sponsor him on a fiancee visa, if your both meet the requirements! Get some legal advise from an immigration attorney if you can afford it and have a stable job to show proof of your financial capabilities and that you can show proof that you can support him! Good luck!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,737,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
vs.

Yeah, you are right. Your advice was so much better than what austintraveler advised.
irish's advice was much better..that's why i repped him!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:29 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,933,822 times
OP asked what would be needed to get married...answer given was for him to acquire a State ID.

My answer was going to Las Vegas w/o a state ID needed. They only verify the Passport/Photo being Valid and do not look or ask about a Visa etc.

Simple.....I was there and did that.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
OP asked what would be needed to get married...answer given was for him to acquire a State ID.

My answer was going to Las Vegas w/o a state ID needed. They only verify the Passport/Photo being Valid and do not look or ask about a Visa etc.

Simple.....I was there and did that.
Just because you were there and did that doesn't mean it was legal if you weren't a legal resident of the state to begin with! You just probably slipped through the cracks where immigrations failed to do their jobs in screening your immigration status!
The guy from Guatamala is still an illegal alien and doesn't have any rights to get an I.D in any state in the U.S.! If immigration officials were to check his Guatamalan passport and it didn't have an entry visa stamp upon entering the U.S., he will be detained and deported back to his home country weather he got married to his girlfriend in the U.S. or not!
It seems it doesn't matter what we all say since the OP hasn't commented further with more details with her relationship with her boyfriend or if she has retained an immigration attorney for assistance!

Last edited by Art2ro; 10-01-2012 at 08:51 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
Just because you were there and did that doesn't mean it was legal if you weren't a legal resident of the state to begin with! You just probably slipped through the cracks where immigrations failed to do their jobs in screening your immigration status!
The guy from Guatamala is still an illegal alien and doesn't have any rights to get an I.D in any state in the U.S.! If immigration officials were to check his Guatamalan passport and it didn't have an entry visa stamp upon entering the U.S., he will be detained and deported back to his home country weather he got married to his girlfriend in the U.S. or not!
It seems it doesn't matter what we all say since the OP hasn't commented further with more details with her relationship with her boyfriend or if she has retained an immigration attorney for assistance!
Just an additional fact to all this ! a friend of mine was in the same situation , girl friend was here illegal, even went to school here, then one weekend they went to Vegas and got married , then her dad got sick and almost died , so she went back home to see him , she show her marriage license at the border was detained on the American side for 6 hrs then processed and deported to the Mexican side of the boarder. Now she will have to wait 10 yrs ( punishment) to try for citizenship here in the US. If he has been here for 3 yrs , he had better sneak back across so the same thing doesn't happen to him.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 AM

142 posts, read 316,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Sorry if I offended any "bleeding hearts" here, but the fact is......the guy is illegally in this country, period. Reportedly been here 3 years.........gotta wonder.....has he ever paid a dime in tax ? ever sought medical care ? Better question to ask is: How does one enter a country illegally and then survive and develop a relationship ?.......this country is a nation of immigrants......some of our forefathers did it the right way....if you question that, visit Ellis Island.....The guy "walked" into this country, surely to avoid INS, squatted and developed a relationship fully knowing the consequences........let's roll out the red carpet......I think not !.
legal or not legal they are still have as much right as you do .. so what if they dont pay taxes or medical care let that man take care of his business without having someone breathe down his back about his status .....

Old 10-02-2012, 06:13 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,949,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx4Life View Post
legal or not legal they are still have as much right as you do .. so what if they dont pay taxes or medical care let that man take care of his business without having someone breathe down his back about his status .....
Illegals do NOT have as much rights as American citizens, sorry. The same way an American does not have the same rights as Mexican or Guatemalan citizens in Mexico or Guatemala.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM

142 posts, read 316,102 times
that's what you believe ..

Old 10-03-2012, 03:14 AM

It's all about the immigration laws and regulations of the U.S. and respecting them! Legal rights are earned through the U.S. legal immigration system, but "human rights" are for all when on American soil no matter who they may be!
Americans do have more legal rights and privileges when properly documented in the U.S. either by birth or through Naturalization than those of an illegal alien who has none if they are illegally in the U.S. without any legal documentation! That's why the U.S. has territory border patrols to keep illegal and or undesirable aliens out!
Remember 9/11 and the border patrol guards killed protecting the U.S. border at the Southern border!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatchi1 View Post
I am in a relationship with an illegal immigrant and would one day like to marry him. He walked into the U.S. and has been here for 3 years. I called the courthouse to see what information he would need to be able to get married and she said he would need a state ID. So I called my local DVM and asked how does he obtain a state ID and she said he would have to have an I-94 stamp on his passport. but because he walked over here he does not have that stamp. Is there a way he can get a U.S. passport with the I-4 stamp on it? all he has is his Guatemalan passport ( which is like a Guatemalan ID).
Plenty of people do things legally and so can you -- you and your lover aren't really special or should feel you're above the laws.

You can easily get him a fiance visa - and do everything the right way but you might have to follow some of the same laws that others actually are following.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.