Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I became US citizen 2 years ago. And I had to SWEAR to give up all allegiances to other countries.

The immigration officer said to me, that the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

Just my 2 Cents ...
"U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship."

Dual Nationality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Dual citizenship is not always a matter of choice. For example, British couple doing a two year secondment to their company's New York office. They just happen to have a child (as young married couples often do) when they are in the USA. Under US law, the child is a US citizen. Under British law, the child is a British citizen. And, guess what, if the child just happens to have an Irish grandparent, they can also be Irish.

Meanwhile, the child doesn't actually give a flying one. Its allegiance is to who feeds and changes it. Subsequently, the child is most likely to be loyal to the country they grow up in. And in today's international economy and highly mobile workforce, that does not have to be the one they actually have a passport for.
My point was it shouldn't be a matter of choice. Pick one country you want to be a citizen of and hold allegiance to only that country. That is the way it should be, IMO.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
My point was it shouldn't be a matter of choice. Pick one country you want to be a citizen of and hold allegiance to only that country. That is the way it should be, IMO.
And no one will ever prevent anyone holding that belief from dropping nationalities to keep only one. For the rest, it's nice and convenient sometimes to have two of them (for instance, having British+American or German+American makes you eligible to live and work in 85% of the developed world, can't hurt)

Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Being a citizen of two countries is like having two wives or more likely a wife and a girlfriend (or husband and boyfriend, or same sex spouse and same sex "friend").

There are benefits but the repercussions can be serious given certain circumstances.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
And no one will ever prevent anyone holding that belief from dropping nationalities to keep only one. For the rest, it's nice and convenient sometimes to have two of them (for instance, having British+American or German+American makes you eligible to live and work in 85% of the developed world, can't hurt)
In otherwords, selfishness and an "its all about me attitude" makes mere sense that holding loyalty to one country. A agree with the post just above mine. It's like having two wives. No clear loyalty to either one.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:08 PM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
In otherwords, selfishness and an "its all about me attitude" makes mere sense that holding loyalty to one country.
It certainly seems more rational to me, but those for which it doesn't, dropping a nationality is always an option. Everybody wins. I think allowing dual citizenship is a great policy that should continue.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
It certainly seems more rational to me, but those for which it doesn't, dropping a nationality is always an option. Everybody wins. I think allowing dual citizenship is a great policy that should continue.
What's great about it? The only one who "wins" is the one with the dual citizenship who doesn't want to commit their loyalty to one country. We can do without them and this policy.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:38 PM

19 posts, read 43,811 times
If you worked in both countries within a year, you pay taxes in both countries. Also what about divorce if you married a wife from that country you are a citizen of? You're still legalyl under U.S marriage laws too. It doesn't seem that advantageous.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:32 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
I've had dual (hungarian and swedish) since I was born, never effected me in any way.

as for the argument of loyalty, how does a citizenship aspire any loyalty? most peopel get new citizenships for the benefits, not for the duties... + the US army(etc) is volountary anyway...

Old 08-17-2015, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 955 times
I was born in the UK but left at 25 and became a US citizen, 53 now. I have a US passport, my UK one expired years ago. I have an opportunity to work in the UK and if I got it I would live in Europe for a few years but return to the US permanently. Is it a simple matter of renewing my UK passport to enable myself to work there? And would there be no effect on my US citizen status?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration