Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,099 times

Advertisements

I never understood this. If people want to remain loyal to their respective homelands, then they should have permanent resident status or something similar. Why give them citizenship when they can't make up their minds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 09:25 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,726 times
It's not unusual and it doesn't necessarily = lack of loyalty

Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,625 times
Default That could "swing" either way....

My son has a dual citizenship (German/ American).
He was born in Germany and I'm his mom, therefor granting him the right to be a German Citizen.
His father is an American Citizen, giving the right for his son to be an American Citizen as well.
My son had no say in this matter, to become dual at birth....lol.....we weren't really ask either, and it was done automatic by our countries.
It's the "right" given to people from the countries themselves, and their laws. But, unfortunately that same "right" and law of citizenship, is being abused by illegals now....
That's why I am making the statement, that it could "swing" either way...for honest and dis-honest purposes.....

Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,477 times
My brother and his family have dual citizenship with Canada/America. My brother has spent 40+ years in Canada and his children were raised there. It is only right, since he has supported his family in Canada, that his first loyality is with Canada, even though that gives me a little knot in my stomach.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:50 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,879 times
When one becomes 18 they should have to choose which nation they want to be citizens of.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:06 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,389 times
I am American, born of American (military) parents in Scotland. When I applied for a Social Security card I had to reliquish my dual citizenship.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:20 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,099 times
Ok I can understand why children may have dual citizenship, but adults? It seems like sitting on the fence to me. Why can't they choose one? They can be a resident here, just not a citizen or vice versa.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
When one becomes 18 they should have to choose which nation they want to be citizens of.
Well, why SHOULD they?
My son is traveling every year to Germany visiting all his relatives over there, has bank accounts over there, has friends over there, speaks and understands the language, might end up going to college over there....why would he "denounce" his roots, and choose between what's rightfully his....Rightfully given to him at birth by BOTH countries and BOTH parents?
On the other hand can I go ahead now (due to laws from BOTH countries, USA and Germany) and apply for dual citizenship myself.
I am loyal to BOTH countries alike, and feel just as much American as German.
I think it becomes somewhat of a "loyalty" question when one chooses to become American citizen, signs up with the US army, and is being send to a war raging against that ones original country of origin.
But, thank goodness, I don't have to worry about THAT issue (loyal question in a war situation), since we (Germany) tried now 2 times, and got our butts whopped twice. I know we learned OUR lesson....ROTFL!!!!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,879 times
I don't think we should have divided loyalties. I think any American citizen who claims allegiance to any government other than America should lose their American status. Minors should be given the same status as their parents.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:05 PM

10,221 posts, read 15,917,484 times
OTher countries like Mexico, Israel and many Central AMerican countries may allow dual citizenship but we shouldn't. IF someone is also a citizen of another country their US citizenship should be revoekd.

A dog can't serve two masters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration