Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 AM

24,741 posts, read 11,066,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
What amazes me about your statement is that I know people in healthcare now who are having a hard time finding jobs. Many of them took up nursing, because they were told of the so-called "shortage".

Many american nurses have not been able to find jobs, but yet you're telling me these jobs are going to foreigners.

Amazing.
There is a bit more to healthcare then nursing:>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,043,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
see, that's all you know about the healthcare sector--nurses. foreign trained nurses can't even come to the US through H1B, never in the past decade at least. and they havent been having the easiest time to come to the US either because the EB 3 visas are backlogged as far back as 2001. im not sure if they have been able to come here through EB 2.

im speaking from my experience of being a Therapist on h1b visa here in the US. you can be as sarcastic as you want but you cant invalidate my viewpoint and experience as you are a citizen.
Look, don't get your panties in a bunch, I wasn't calling you out or saying you were a liar.

I'm just going by what MY friends have been told about not being able to get jobs as nurses HERE when they were told there were a SHORTAGE of them.

They're upset now, because it seems like they wasted their time.

I have no problem with foreign trained medical personnel coming here. I don't have a problem with ANYONE coming here.

Truth be told, this country belongs to the native americans anyway.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,733,822 times
Default Canada is probably easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anondragon View Post
I am fully aware of this
I am not moving to the US purely for economic reasons, as I have a comfortable work and could find work in Germany easily, or anywhere in EU for that matter.

I just want to *live* a full life and for me that includes risk taking, and going to start something new while I am young in a country like the US, maybe even create a business who knows ?
I am just not looking for a comfortable stable life at this point, otherwise I would just take a desk job at BMW or Siemens here in Germany and be done with my life

I must say I do love the US mentality though, and this is why I would also try to make it there.
As for the poster who said I only wanted to stay a couple of years and work: Who knows? You know how life is, It cannot be planned so easily. Although I cannot say I want to "become American" at its not a simple thing to say, I definitely want to move there and try my best. Maybe I end up finding the love of my life there, marrying, having kids, and then end up staying somewhere in a little rural town in Missouri or Virginia for the rest of my life, having my own business and helping the US economy . Again, who knows ? But the first step is getting permanent residence, what I see as a little piece of paper, a bureaucratic thing, to go there.

I am not gonna steal American jobs, I am going to bring a piece of Europe to the US with me, and add to this great culture like many thousands European immigrants have done since over 100 years in the USA, which have basically defined the American character (My family name is well spread over the US actually!)

Anyway...Now looking into J1 and green card lottery...Thanks again for all the comments.
Hope everybody on here fulfills his dream. Lots of Americans want to come over to Europe and I know its not easy. We should really have better agreements between western countries with such similar cultures dont you think ?
Canada may be easier to get into than the U.S. They have a broad immigration policy to encourage people to move there. It is still far more sparsely settled than the U.S. It's also COLDER there than most places in the U.S.. And they have healthcare for everyone. I like our northern neighbors.

Currently, Canada is known as a country with a broad immigration policy which is reflected in Canada's ethnic diversity. According to the 2001 census by Statistics Canada, Canada has 34 ethnic groups with at least one hundred thousand members each, of which 10 have over 1,000,000 people and numerous others represented in smaller amounts. 16.2% of the population belonged to visible minorities: most numerous among these are South Asian (4.0% of the population), Chinese (3.9%), Black descent (2.5%), and Filipino (1.3%). Other than Canadians of British, Irish, or French descent there are more members of Ethnic groups not classified as visible minorities than this 16.2%; the largest are: German (10.18%), and Italian (4.63%), with 3.87% being Ukrainian, 3.87% being Dutch, and 3.15% being Polish. Other minority ethnic origins include Russian (1.60%), Norwegian (1.38%), Portuguese (1.32%), and Swedish (1.07%).[

Immigration to Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I think I read that roughly ten percent of the Canandian legislature is made up of non-native born people.

Either way, best of luck to you.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,140,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
And I think I read that roughly ten percent of the Canandian legislature is made up of non-native born people.
Just imagine if Donald trump was Canadian, he'd have a kiniption!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,359,036 times
Quote:
Look, don't get your panties in a bunch, I wasn't calling you out or saying you were a liar.

I'm just going by what MY friends have been told about not being able to get jobs as nurses HERE when they were told there were a SHORTAGE of them.

I have no problem with foreign trained medical personnel coming here. I don't have a problem with ANYONE coming here.

you're saying that now, but the tone of your post, especially with your "Amazing" expression, felt like sarcasm to me. so, yeah, amazing

Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,043,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
you're saying that now, but the tone of your post, especially with your "Amazing" expression, felt like sarcasm to me. so, yeah, amazing
I'm going to assume english isn't your first language, so I'm not going to go in on you with your rant.

I used "amazing" in the context that supposedly there aren't any healthcare jobs in nursing for american trained nurses, but yet there is for foreign trained ones.

People have subsequently posted that there is more than one type of healthcare position, so the healthcare jobs being filled by foreigners probably have a shortage of trained americans to do it. That's fine.

I'm going to apologize to you if you thought I was being offensive in some way only because there "appears" to be some sort of miscommunication in how I used the word "amazing".

Like I said, I don't care WHO comes here and for WHAT. Understand?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,359,036 times
Quote:
I'm going to assume english isn't your first language, so I'm not going to go in on you with your rant.

I used "amazing" in the context that supposedly there aren't any healthcare jobs in nursing for american trained nurses, but yet there is for foreign trained ones.

People have subsequently posted that there is more than one type of healthcare position, so the healthcare jobs being filled by foreigners probably have a shortage of trained americans to do it. That's fine.

I'm going to apologize to you if you thought I was being offensive in some way only because there "appears" to be some sort of miscommunication in how I used the word "amazing".

Like I said, I don't care WHO comes here and for WHAT. Understand?

fine. you can't win with a US native who speaks english as their first (and most of the time only) language.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:18 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,329,017 times
Default With all due respect, sincerely...

Quote:

marilyn220, as disconcerting as it may be concerning the taking of America (the U.S.) from Native American (Indians)...that ship has sailed a very long time ago. This country now belongs to whomever holds the power to do so, whether that be the 1% we hear so much about these days, the powerful lobbyists, the entitled who may be found in every corner of this country or just your average American Joe/Jane who is looking for and found his/her place in the sun, paradise as it were.

Life is a crapshoot, I say dream a little dream and go for it, that's exactly what America has always, always (and stil is) been all about!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,801,001 times
Quote:
What amazes me about your statement is that I know people in healthcare now who are having a hard time finding jobs. Many of them took up nursing, because they were told of the so-called "shortage".

Many american nurses have not been able to find jobs, but yet you're telling me these jobs are going to foreigners.

Amazing.
That is true. Even in areas that long ago dropped the sign-on bonus and Americans are having trouble finding jobs in hospitals, these are very easy jobs for immigrants to get. Immigration levels get set and just remain high no matter what the unemployment situation is.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,802,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That is true. Even in areas that long ago dropped the sign-on bonus and Americans are having trouble finding jobs in hospitals, these are very easy jobs for immigrants to get. Immigration levels get set and just remain high no matter what the unemployment situation is.
Just curious but do you have supporting data for this?

Regardless of immigration quotas, sponsoring employers have to prove that there is no US citizen or otherwise qualified resident to fill vacant positions ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration