Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 AM

112 posts, read 353,870 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Correct me if I am wrong, but gaining permanent residence in the USA for an average person who has no family in the USA (like most Europeans like me for instance), is impossible.

The only three ways I see to gain permanent residence for people with no family in USA:
1. Win green card lottery (unlikely)
2. Marry an American citizen (Fraudulent and illegal, not an option for most sane people)
3. Get sponsored by an American employer (H1B) : Almost impossible if you are not some kind of genius with a skill that cannot be replicated by any american citizen. Even then its hard and might take years, not to forget convincing the company to spend thousands of dollars doing the lengthy process while they could save tons of $$$ simply employing an American. Oh and the fact the economy is such even Americans dont get jobs so why the hell would a US company go through the trouble of hiring some foreigner ?

So what I am saying is: For the lambda EU citizen, who has say a degree in business, and who doesnt hold 10000000$ or more to invest in the USA and employ X amount of US employees, immigration is impossible?

Just want a confirmation of this, as I am seriously considering moving to an easier destination to immigrate to (Canada/Australia) as I definitely want to work and travel while I am young. And if USA is impossible, then got to move to something else.

Before you jump and say "go to USCIS and X website". Trust me Ive been to all and even applied to green card lottery many times. I just want the insider info on whether a regular person still has ways to immigrate to the US and realise the American dream.

Kind regards
Anondragon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
You want to "work and travel while ... young" but this is a common goal and really not one which bespeaks "immigration". I don't think you're seriously interested in emigrating to another country but that your main goal is to get in some traveling. Admirable. Maybe you should look into temporary jobs overseas and who knows where such adventures will lead you!

Old 12-28-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You want to "work and travel while ... young" but this is a common goal and really not one which bespeaks "immigration". I don't think you're seriously interested in emigrating to another country but that your main goal is to get in some traveling. Admirable. Maybe you should look into temporary jobs overseas and who knows where such adventures will lead you!
Apologies.
My post was more of a rant about the US immigration system than a thorough description of my plans.
I actually seriously intend to immigrate to the United States and work there for years, not simply go there on vacation, which I have done many times.
My post was more of a rant, that without doing anything illegal, even a qualified person seems to have no regular/legal pathway for immigration.

Even for temporary work in the United States, a green card (permanent residence) is still obviously required for work. The point is, the impossibility of actually getting one.

Kind regards

Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Yes, it's almost impossible. Outside of marrying an American, the usual way seems to be getting a job with a company in your own country that will send you to the US to work. It's very unfair.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, it's almost impossible. Outside of marrying an American, the usual way seems to be getting a job with a company in your own country that will send you to the US to work. It's very unfair.
Marrying an American for the sole purpose of immigration is not only fraudulent, but to me makes no sense from a moral point of view (immigration to a country implies love of this country. And someone who loves a country does not immigrate there by already violating the laws in place there. Its almost a paradox )

I know you meant a legal marriage, but still felt I wanted to point out the irony of those who commit fraudulent marriages.

On the H1B sponsor side, I actually work for an important and well known American company in Europe. (Wont say where and which company, but its a classic fortune 500 SP 500 company), and they have a policy of *no transfers to the USA and giving Americans all jobs for their US branches*.

Finding an H1B sponsor is tough, because even for small work nobody wants to do (IE: Alaska fishermen or oil drillers, Ive actually looked into this ), it costs so much that a small company cannot afford to do it.

And on the big company side, most dont do sponsorships/transfers unless you are extremely qualified (IT genius, and so on, not business guys like me).

But if anyone has experience being sponsored for a "regular" job, please share your experience it would be very welcome.

I know this sounds stupid, but I would be willing to do anything, even enlist in US military to go there. Its been a childhood dream and I am not afraid to do anything *legal* to fulfill them

Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Orrrrr......jump the border!

Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Orrrrr......jump the border!
The thing is...Even if in my wildest dreams and if my morals had become to their lowest level possible, I would even consider this , well it would not make sense for me for a simple reason.

The fact I would not be able to lead a normal life.
Lets face it, I am a regular law abiding citizen who wants to have a regular job in the United States.
I am not in the category of people that are willing to live with fake ID cards doing black market jobs because its better than the warzone they came from. (sounds funny but its the reality for these people).

Im actually going to look into European companies with US operations.
Maybe they would be willing to transfer me there, when US companies would not for obvious PR reasons.
Of course if I won the lottery everything would be rosy but it would be a mistake to rely only on this

Thanks for your answers, and wish the US economy and the US as a country all the best for the times ahead. 2013 MUST BE a good year! Enough of these fiscal cliffs talks and of deficits

Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default 99% of all visas

are approved. Find a reputable immigration attorney to represent you. Lots of visa classifications are ways to achieve a permanent residency card.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:21 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,033,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anondragon View Post
2. Marry an American citizen (Fraudulent and illegal, not an option for most sane people)
Marrying a US citizen is not illegal or fraudulent. That and family reunification is the way most people immigrate to the US.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM

40 posts, read 124,534 times
Step 1. Apply for Graduate school (preferably a technical field--engineering / science where the deparrtment has grant money to support you with a scholarship) and be accepted.
Step 2. Work hard for 5 years to get a PhD. During this time you will be in the States with a J-1 or F-1 visa.
Step 3. Become hired by a technology company in need of young engineers / scientists to do R&D. THey will obrtain an H1 visa for you.
Step 4: If you do well the company will work towards getting you a permanent residency / work permit (green card) after 2-3 years if they want to keep you.
Step 5: After 5 years with a green card you can apply for citizenship.

At least this is the path I (and many people I know) followed and I came from Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration