Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:55 PM

46 posts, read 54,335 times

Advertisements

i dislike the term illegal.
how can a fellow human being be illegal.
illegal refers to an action not a person
i prefer non citizen resident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,850,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlittlepig View Post
And what is a Legal Permanent Resident then?...

I haven't heard why "NCN" wants to deport my wife and stepchildren yet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Five year cooling off period sounds great instead of this out-of-control influx of illegals. Close the border and deport all non-citizens. If they have anchor children, they can choose to leave them here with friends or take them where they go.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:06 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,752 times
Quote:
But then a legal immigrant who is on proper visa,work permit is also a non citizen resident. How will we distinguish then?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:27 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Stopped? No
Reformed to reflect the needs of our nation? Yes
Reformed to improve a flawed system? Yes
The primary argument against legal immigration is our unemployment.
I firmly believe that a great many remain on UE to enjoy the benefit of being paid to stay at home. Many also opt to remain on UE because the new job will pay less than the UE check.
Another argument is VISA overstays.
This can be managed and managed well if only the FED would enforce our laws.
E-Verify will help with this problem.
With immigration comes new blood and new drive.
Much of our nations great inventors were immigrants.
Sikorsky and Einstein to name 2.
Finally K-1 VISA's. As someone who is married to a legal immigrant now a citizen this one is personal to me.
I am a vet wounded in battle 3 times in the service of my country. I should be allowed to marry and sponsor my wife. My wife speaks 5 languages, 2 college degrees, hard worker and motivated. She contributes to our community. She does volunteer work, donates to charities. In short a model citizen......
By stopping immigration you stand to forfeit all these gains.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM

444 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The topic may go over to debating same-sex marriages for immigration, so I also do want to state mine is "conventional", between a man and a beautiful, hard-working woman.
It's really hard to not argue gay rights here, but for sake of staying on task I'll leave this alone.

Quote:
These topics start the same way every time:

"All immigration needs to be stopped!"

"25% of all legal immigration is from marriages to U.S. citizens, and about 10% for the minor children of those marriages."

[Deep in thought, blinking eyes for twenty minutes, while internally trying to resolve the myth they had heard over and over, saying that spouses of U.S. citizens instantly became citizens themselves]

Well, those other kinds of immigration need to be stopped!"

"Why is that?"

"Because too many of those illegals are coming!"

"So why do you want to punish those that are doing it legally?"

[Generally this circular logic can't be resolved to them, and they lash out at you as a response]
I completely agree that people like to give BS circular logic and it's easy to go in this trap. But, I think that circle you are defining above (and several post in this thread) demonstrates my point: "most people" support family biased immigrant visas. Being that the type of visa you are talking about accounts for 25% of all immigrants, I do not think it's an issue (to anyone other than the family trying to get the visa). The bigger issue is COMPANY sponsored visas.

Out of my curiosity IBMMuseum, do people actually tell you they think you wife (and her kids) should be deported?

EVERYONE ELSE: What's you position on family immigrant visas?

Quote:
So next point, I know there is an Illegal Immigration section that also is a catch-all to these sorts of debate. Can we drop the angle of illegal immigration if the discussion is here? I am interested in those that want to stop legal immigration based on its own merits (or perceived lack of them).
For the sake of this debate, you wish to ignore gay rights and illegal immigrants and only talk about problems with legal immigration?

OK, well there are many types of visas (United States Immigration and Visas) immigrant and non-immigrant visas. I, personally, dislike non-immigrant visas (and have already explained this).

IBMMuseum (As a vet), what's your position on non-immigrant visas? You want those step kids to have a job when they grow up?

EVERYONE: What's your position on worker (Company sponsored) visas?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 PM

why does it bother people if there are people here who are working hard trying to better their living situation and not causing any problems for other people. if i were in mexico, i would do whatever i could to come here also.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:37 PM

444 posts, read 820,628 times
Quote:
The human being cannot be illegal. Illegal is just slang for illegal immigrant status, because the act of them being an immigrant is illegal. That's how.

Quote:
There are non citizen resident. They are legal. They have visas authorized by the US government. It would not make sense to classify someone who "Stole" an immigrant status as someone who obtained legal status.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
why does it bother people if there are people here who are working hard trying to better their living situation and not causing any problems for other people. if i were in mexico, i would do whatever i could to come here also.
Oh I don't know.
Could it be that they break other laws while here working hard?
you know ID theft and fraud which has harmed thousands of law abiding citizens.
Could it be that they low ball wages forcing legal citizens out of work and their trades?
You know legal citizens would like to have good living conditions too.

Could it be that they are causing problems?
You know driving without a license or insurance? Not paying hospital bills when they use the ER? Increases in school costs because we need to provide tutors and interpreters for their children?
It is not a victimless crime......

Old 07-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I dislike ID theft and fraud. I dislike tax evaders and tax frauds.
I dislike cheats. They are illegal immigrants. They broke our laws. They are here illegally. They do harm to this nation. Not all illegals are hard working nice people. Our prisons are filled with violent criminals who are here illegally.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 PM

let's see the evidence for this, i don't think it exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Our prisons are filled with violent criminals who are here illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration