Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 11:23 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,350,130 times

Advertisements

How do you know she "hates the U.S."?

Doesn't the fact that she spent thousands of dollars, waited many years, endured countless interviews/tests and moved to the U.S. contradict your claims? Immigrating is VERY difficult. What specific evidence do you have that she hates the country's fundamental values? Has she objected to democratic norms, rule of law, or something?

Old 10-11-2019, 02:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

How on earth does this happen?!
Presumably there are some advantages for her in this. No different than staying in a job you dislike because you are making a fortune, or staying married to someone you don't respect because it gives you economic and social advantages that you would not have otherwise.

People make these sorts of compromises all the time. Is it hypocritical, sure it is. But read through forum after forum on C-D, many people are hypocritical and about all manner of things.

It surprises me that an adult would be shocked be this....annoyed perhaps, but surprised?

Old 10-11-2019, 03:18 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

Doesn't the fact that she spent thousands of dollars, waited many years, endured countless interviews/tests and moved to the U.S. contradict your claims? Immigrating is VERY difficult. What specific evidence do you have that she hates the country's fundamental values? Has she objected to democratic norms, rule of law, or something?
Valid and rational questions I must say!

I think a bit of "personal" venting as the OP DOES work with this Recently Pledged Citizen.

I work in a town that is notorious for a particular Hate group....and I assure you the fact that they can rally and spew comments and call it free speech is quite similar to the lady that the OP works with . I am asked to tolerate it, yet I do not. I do get the double standards that grace this country.

TBF, there is much I can highly disagree with in our countries history....its rather shame filled. I can also find some beautiful landscapes....great community outreach programs and yes some laws that protect us as citizens.

I wonder if this new pledged citizen has any experience in Giving to others or supporting a positive cause? Maybe she could be guided to that experience to broaden her narrow perception.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:18 AM

225 posts, read 216,990 times
Just another person who wants to use up what little resources this country has left. How I see it, she is hear just for the comfort and resources she can not get wherever she migrated from. She does not have to love something to use it up. Always how invasions work. Come in, take what you want, leave the crap behind when you done. The only love is sinful lust.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:23 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
Most Trump supporters hate the US too. Nothing we can do about it unless they get caught plotting against the country.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:46 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThySeeker View Post
Just another person who wants to use up what little resources this country has left. How I see it, she is hear just for the comfort and resources she can not get wherever she migrated from. She does not have to love something to use it up. Always how invasions work. Come in, take what you want, leave the crap behind when you done. The only love is sinful lust.
The OP didn't say that this woman was not paying her taxes, or was on food stamps or welfare. In fact, she works at the same place as the OP. Despite her negative attitude toward the U.S. she is not using up, but contributing.

How is she using up "what little resources the country has left"? (I also do not see America as a nation of "little resources." However, that issue isn't appropriate to this forum.)

Hate this woman for her lack of patriotism if you pleases you, but don't spin tales about things that the OP has not indicated that this woman has done. Lying is no more laudable than hypocrisy.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:02 AM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

I do not know when or if you naturalized. It was pretty cut and dry for me - petition, finger prints, interview and swearing in on the same day. Fees are posted on USCis.gov and it took not quite three months from start to passport.

Old 10-11-2019, 06:11 AM

225 posts, read 216,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The OP didn't say that this woman was not paying her taxes, or was on food stamps or welfare. In fact, she works at the same place as the OP. Despite her negative attitude toward the U.S. she is not using up, but contributing.

How is she using up "what little resources the country has left"? (I also do not see America as a nation of "little resources." However, that issue isn't appropriate to this forum.)

Hate this woman for her lack of patriotism if you pleases you, but don't spin tales about things that the OP has not indicated that this woman has done. Lying is no more laudable than hypocrisy.
How people see others as paying taxes and garbage like that has nothing to do with what I have experienced. For example, a person like that, for example, is taking away that job that a real American needs.

How you see patriotism and stuff, we look also for honor, credibility, dignity, and respect. Taxes has nothing to do with it. Drug dealers and child molesters pay taxes too.

My comments are sound to the original poster.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:02 AM

733 posts, read 470,239 times
As a U.S. citizen, she has a better chance of bringing her family members over here.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:10 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry for the bizarre thread title, I am just really a bit flabbergasted by this.

I have a colleague who absolutely HATES the United States ... as in, I've known this person for more than 15 years and have NEVER heard one good word about the U.S. (and have heard a zillion words saying why it's a disgusting, horrible, racist country).

I knew she had a green card (which honestly, I thought was bad enough), but at a meeting a few weeks ago she mentioned that she had just become a U.S. CITIZEN. I was so horrified that I was literally speechless. Of course when I thought about it later, I wished I had said, "Wait a minute, all you have done for the past 15+ years is say how much you HATE this country, so how on earth did you get citizenship?"

And honestly, if I had KNOWN she was applying for U.S. citizenship, I would have protested (as if it would have made any difference). But I didn't.

How on earth does this happen?!
Married to an immigrant so I think I can answer.

Many immigrants think the USA owes them something. They come here thinking the streets are paved with gold and opportunities, but when reality hits and they realize they have to work hard for everything, they become disillusioned and unhappy. I think the real message she's trying to send out is "Americans owe me something." No, they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration