Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 07:43 AM

733 posts, read 470,239 times

Advertisements

My husband and father are immigrants as well. But they became citizens because they love this country and are very patriotic. Others, like the OPs friend, might have different reasons.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:06 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
How do you know she "hates the U.S."?

Doesn't the fact that she spent thousands of dollars, waited many years, endured countless interviews/tests and moved to the U.S. contradict your claims? Immigrating is VERY difficult. What specific evidence do you have that she hates the country's fundamental values? Has she objected to democratic norms, rule of law, or something?
Yes, very good point. And these requirements do not necessarily mean that a person getting citizenship need to uncritically love the US:

"
* Be a person of good moral character.
* Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution."

What they need to do is obey laws and pay taxes...

And at this day of age, with our dear President, millions of Americans are very critical of the US.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:09 AM

225 posts, read 216,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yes, very good point. And these requirements do not necessarily mean that a person getting citizenship need to uncritically love the US:

"
* Be a person of good moral character.
* Demonstrate an attachment to the principles and ideals of the U.S. Constitution."

What they need to do is obey laws and pay taxes...

And at this day of age, with our dear President, millions of Americans are very critical of the US.

People do indeed do things for their own gain. Spys. Infiltration. Corruption. Sinful desires. I personally have seen and had to deal with such people over the ages who claim to be one thing and show it on the outside to everyone else, but then you discover the truth as they expose it when it is too late.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:10 AM

27,583 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Most people who immigrate to the United States do so because of economic opportunities, not necessarily because they “like” this country, its people or its culture.

More than likely, this woman will stop complaining so much about the United States once she earns more money and accumulates more wealth. Money usually shuts people up over time. This is a typical pattern.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:56 AM

733 posts, read 470,239 times
I found some other reasons why immigrants want to become U.S. citizens;1) sponsor family for green cards, 2) the right to vote 3) run for public office 4) be eligible for federal employment or benefits, 5) not be deported, 6) benefit from U.S. tax laws, 7) become eligible for free money, 8) become a U.S. passport holder. There are many others too numerous to mention. Sorry I don’t know how to post links.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:17 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry for the bizarre thread title, I am just really a bit flabbergasted by this.

I have a colleague who absolutely HATES the United States ... as in, I've known this person for more than 15 years and have NEVER heard one good word about the U.S. (and have heard a zillion words saying why it's a disgusting, horrible, racist country).

I knew she had a green card (which honestly, I thought was bad enough), but at a meeting a few weeks ago she mentioned that she had just become a U.S. CITIZEN. I was so horrified that I was literally speechless. Of course when I thought about it later, I wished I had said, "Wait a minute, all you have done for the past 15+ years is say how much you HATE this country, so how on earth did you get citizenship?"

And honestly, if I had KNOWN she was applying for U.S. citizenship, I would have protested (as if it would have made any difference). But I didn't.

How on earth does this happen?!
Aren't there a lot of Americans who hate America or at least what is has become under MAGA? Don't a lot of people in other countries LOVE America and yet are told to stay out for no good reason?'

Attitude is not a requirement! Ask that person why they WANT to become a citizen. Until attitude, and an objective way to measure it is part of the requirements then that's a very strange question to even ask. And yeah, no one cares if you think their bad attitude should keep them from citizenship. If they later break the law then I guess there will be consequences. BEHAVIOR is key.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:18 AM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
As a U.S. citizen, she has a better chance of bringing her family members over here.
This one of the standard stereotypes - not everyone goes through the process to move family to the US. Some people are actually happy where they are.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:22 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,674,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Remember the guy who tried to bomb Times Square? He parked a old, beat up car there and a bomb was inside it. Someone saw smoke coming out of it and alerted the police. They figured who the guy was and he was apprehended after he had boarded a Qatar Airlines plane that had yet to take off. It was discovered that he was a naturalized US citizen. When he was on trial he ranted and raved about how he hated the US. I wondered since he hated it so much why he became a US citizen. SMH.

Then there was a guy who plotted to bomb Metrorail in DC. He was caught before he could carry out his plan. He, too, was a naturalized US citizen. Also, when he went to trial he ranted and raved about how he hated the US. Again, SMH.

I can't understand wanting to become a citizen of a country you dislike, never mind hate with a passion. It makes no sense.
Jealousy is an ugly emotion so don't try to make sense out of it. Yes, they do like our generous tax dollars but probably not themselves.

This attitude and hatred of Americans and America is dominate in the Bay Area as their goal is take us over - not become American. Schools today teach the young to hate our country and mock the achievements of Americans while teaching them to be victims crying about how unfair life is while taking no personal responsibility. Sadly, they fail to comprehend that they are living off the brilliant and talented people who make all Americans free. Until many more walls are built, this hatred of America will continue to seep into society but we are stronger than that.

i think the question is why would any American allow someone like into your life? People either contribute, or contaminate, so only associate with those contribute to our wonderful country.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:24 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,702 times
Quote:
No U.S. spouse, no U.S. children. She is from Mexico (from an upper-middle-class family at least, as she paid tens of thousands of dollars for what I would consider to be a fake online Ph.D., i.e. absolutely worthless anywhere else). She goes to Mexico during college breaks, summer, sabbatical, etc. In fact she keeps threatening to apply for a job in Mexico and just leave us altogether.
Hmmmm....
She is in college and from an upper-middle class family in Mexico. Many Mexicans with that status have a nice peaceful life there.
As a college student in the U.S., she sits in her apt or dorm and does not have fun and go to Florida beaches, California or South Texas on breaks? hmmmm?

There's plenty of mexicans and latinos, and other people in the U.S. she can connect with online or in person and find something in common to not hate it. okay, ah ha.

From your description, she may be forced to be here by her family or it's by a company or organization since she is always going back & forth. Something is very odd here for being in the country 15 years as you claim.

Last edited by frankrj; 10-11-2019 at 10:03 AM..

Old 10-11-2019, 09:25 AM

23,874 posts, read 33,587,145 times
Quote:
Sorry for the bizarre thread title, I am just really a bit flabbergasted by this.

I have a colleague who absolutely HATES the United States ... as in, I've known this person for more than 15 years and have NEVER heard one good word about the U.S. (and have heard a zillion words saying why it's a disgusting, horrible, racist country).

I knew she had a green card (which honestly, I thought was bad enough), but at a meeting a few weeks ago she mentioned that she had just become a U.S. CITIZEN. I was so horrified that I was literally speechless. Of course when I thought about it later, I wished I had said, "Wait a minute, all you have done for the past 15+ years is say how much you HATE this country, so how on earth did you get citizenship?"

And honestly, if I had KNOWN she was applying for U.S. citizenship, I would have protested (as if it would have made any difference). But I didn't.

How on earth does this happen?!
It really makes me sick that she talks crap about the US and has the nerve to become a citizen. I wonder if she plans to bring her family here next.

My parents came here in the late 50's, my father was very proud to be an American citizen. He never went back to Hungary because he was afraid he'd be locked up and never allowed to return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration