Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 11:20 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,432,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotx View Post
Do you understand the millions of dollars required for mass deportation? The manpower required? That money would be much better spent in something else, like health care or education. Sure, put guards in the border. That part makes total sense. But what else do you suggest? Sending police squads out to knock on doors and ask for ID?

No, I've never been directly affected by illegal immigration. I live in a nice, safe area where there isn't much crime and you can still feel safe walking around at night. This is very much an all-American town. No illegals I know of here, simply because they couldn't get a job in the area.

However, I've met a few illegals when I lived in a bigger city. A few of them I didn't know were illegal immigrants until much later. A guy I met was going to college and working. His English was perfect (no accent). I don't know much about his family, except that he was brought here when he was a kid, so it wasn't his choice. Now he's a young man, doesn't even speak Spanish (his family language) and doesn't know anybody "back home." If he could become a legal immigrant, then it would not only be better for him, but also for this country, since he's clearly looking for a better life and not planning on going out and shooting people.

Your example is a little extreme. I'm in no way advocating that we give a green card to criminals. And yes, of course there are illegal immigrants who are criminals. But really, I don't see every illegal immigrant as a risk to my job, my business or my family. In fact, most of them could never affect my industry (I work in publishing) or many other industries. Since you seem to think most illegal immigrants are criminals, how would they affect your job? You'll never see an illegal immigrant working in the desk next to you (unless you work in the service industry, maybe). I've been working as a journalist for years and I'm probably more knowleadgeable about this issue that you will ever be, so just because you hate illegal immigration doesn't mean you really know the ins and outs of it.

Now, if you have a practical solution to the problem, then by all means, let's hear it. I think a step in the right direction would be to make it VERY difficult for people to come in. Tighten the visa regulations, protect the borders. But that doesn't fix the problem of those already in the country. And mass deportation is just a ridiculous suggestion. Your solution seems to be "let's keep them around as illegals until we can catch them and send them back." That suggests that if we never catch them, they'll be around as illegals forever. How's that a solution?

Do you have any idea how many professional people, with years of experinece, USA job offers in their field and who speak perfect english are waiting in line outside the USA for green cards?

You say tighten the visa regulations. Do you know how difficult it is to get a visa?
If you gave all the illegals legal permanent residency and these were taken from the visas available each year there wouldn't be any visas available for years!

As for
You'll never see an illegal immigrant working in the desk next to you (unless you work in the service industry, maybe).

As a journalist I would have thought you would know about the companies that have people working for them on visas that were obtained illegally, I assume by submitting false job descriptions and wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,172,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotx View Post
No, I've never been directly affected by illegal immigration. I live in a nice, safe area where there isn't much crime and you can still feel safe walking around at night. This is very much an all-American town. No illegals I know of here, simply because they couldn't get a job in the area.

So, what you're saying is you live in a diversity-free neighborhood.

However, I've met a few illegals when I lived in a bigger city. A few of them I didn't know were illegal immigrants until much later. A guy I met was going to college and working. His English was perfect (no accent). I don't know much about his family, except that he was brought here when he was a kid, so it wasn't his choice. Now he's a young man, doesn't even speak Spanish (his family language) and doesn't know anybody "back home." If he could become a legal immigrant, then it would not only be better for him, but also for this country, since he's clearly looking for a better life and not planning on going out and shooting people.

People like him need to go back to the country they were brought from and help change the living and economic situation in their own country, not only for themselves but also for their fellow countrymen.

Your example is a little extreme. I'm in no way advocating that we give a green card to criminals. And yes, of course there are illegal immigrants who are criminals.

Hmm... they are called illegal for a reason. All illegal immigrants are criminals.

...I've been working as a journalist for years and I'm probably more knowleadgeable about this issue that you will ever be, so just because you hate illegal immigration doesn't mean you really know the ins and outs of it.

and out comes the elitist attitude from somebody who hasn't "been directly affected by illegal immigration. I live in a nice, safe area"

Now, if you have a practical solution to the problem, then by all means, let's hear it. I think a step in the right direction would be to make it VERY difficult for people to come in. Tighten the visa regulations, protect the borders. But that doesn't fix the problem of those already in the country. And mass deportation is just a ridiculous suggestion.

How about enforcing our laws and making sure our border is secure. The illegals didn't arrive in a mass invasion, it was done over many years. Deportations of these illegals will take years.
edit:quote

Old 11-29-2010, 05:30 PM

438 posts, read 1,353,166 times
Hmm... they are called illegal for a reason. All illegal immigrants are criminals.

...I've been working as a journalist for years and I'm probably more knowleadgeable about this issue that you will ever be, so just because you hate illegal immigration doesn't mean you really know the ins and outs of it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah.... looks like you know your law too! Anybody who is within the United States borders without the right documentation that has passed through all the right USCIS or NVS /American Immigration hands is an illegal. Illegal means they have broken the law. Anyone who was legally admitted and has voluntarily overstayed the permitted time on their visa, is also a criminal for doing so illegally.

So what's your point? Are you saying that you condone illegal immigration because they are not breaking the law? Please give us detailed information on the supposed "ins and outs" that does not consider anyone who has entered the country under false pretenses, has snuck across the border, or whose parents did and then never bothered to register/justify their position before the authorities.

The only way to protect Americas borders is being tough on illegal immigrants. Only for a year or two, that will put the coyote amongst the chickens and make those who can justify that they have been "good citizens" are eligible for consideration. No amnesties, just the application of Law.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:19 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,939,081 times
Ask the Somali kid in Portland...he may know the shortcuts.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,089,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I am not for illegal immigration at all. I am just pointing out misinformation. It is not easy to come here legally. Period. End of story. A lot of the people that have strong views on immigration are not aware of the current laws. People say things like my granpa came here legally. Yeah because it was easy then. The legal immigration options are being narrowed all the time. Permanent residents used to be able to sponsor their siblings. Now only US citizens can. The fact is that the current system is broken. It needs to be fixed somehow. I myself don't know how.
Well, my husband and eight of his siblings managed to come here legally from a poor country. One did get in due to marriage, and they are still very happily married with three kids. My husband was the only one to come in as a minor, also. The system is not broken. Immigration here should be difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration