Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:27 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,332,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Excuse me but marriage is the only way to "easily" immigrate. What about people who are already married? Or men who don't find a US spouse as easily? Or women who don't want to marry just to come to the US? If all the illegals had a way to come legally they would have done so. After all they usually pay a lot of money to the coyotes or risk their lives crossing through the dessert.
Whether or not it is easy or difficult is beside the point. We have immigration laws that need to be followed. If people have a problem with that-try to find another country more open to legal immigrants-they won't be able to. Justifying breaking the law because something is "not easy" is not right. No one has a "right' to come here legally or otherwise. It is a privledge to come here legally. The USA allows more people to legally immigrate here than any other country on earth. The USA-or any other country-does not have to allow anyone in unless they want to. Any country has a right to control immigration for her benefit. Immigration should be for the benefit of the country and it's citizens.

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,572,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Whether or not it is easy or difficult is beside the point. We have immigration laws that need to be followed. If people have a problem with that-try to find another country more open to legal immigrants-they won't be able to. Justifying breaking the law because something is "not easy" is not right. No one has a "right' to come here legally or otherwise. It is a privledge to come here legally. The USA allows more people to legally immigrate here than any other country on earth. The USA-or any other country-does not have to allow anyone in unless they want to. Any country has a right to control immigration for her benefit. Immigration should be for the benefit of the country and it's citizens.

Nicolem
Absolutely! My ex and three of his siblings have managed to “legally” immigrate; and none “married” to gain citizenship. As a matter of fact; my ex refused to get married prior to gaining his citizenship. He didn’t want anyone (including me) to doubt his motives for our marriage. Pro-illegals are simply desperately seeking anything to justify lawlessness.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:37 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,753,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I am not for illegal immigration at all. I am just pointing out misinformation. It is not easy to come here legally. Period. End of story. A lot of the people that have strong views on immigration are not aware of the current laws. People say things like my granpa came here legally. Yeah because it was easy then. The legal immigration options are being narrowed all the time. Permanent residents used to be able to sponsor their siblings. Now only US citizens can. The fact is that the current system is broken. It needs to be fixed somehow. I myself don't know how.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! My ex and three of his siblings have managed to “legally” immigrate; and none “married” to gain citizenship. As a matter of fact; my ex refused to get married prior to gaining his citizenship. He didn’t want anyone (including me) to doubt his motives for our marriage. Pro-illegals are simply desperately seeking anything to justify lawlessness.
Would you mine sharing how they did it. Was it a work visa or another relative sponsor them. Also what year was it?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:45 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,293,822 times
The government administered 468,878 oaths of citizenship in the U.S. from Oct. 1, 2007 through April 30, 2008, up 35% from 348,591 during the same period a year earlier, said Chris Rhatigan, a spokeswoman for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. L.A. welcomes 18,000 new citizens, a city record - USATODAY.com

Someone needs to ask the more than half million that have received U.S. citizenship since October. I'm perfectly fine with hearing that "obtaining U.S. citizenship is the hardest thing I've ever done". It should be; however, it's not impossible as hundreds of thousands obtain citizenship every year and I highly doubt they all took the same course of action which is to get married.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:21 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,572,319 times
Quote:
Would you mine sharing how they did it. Was it a work visa or another relative sponsor them. Also what year was it?
They all came on student visas during the 80’s and 90’s. Their status was temporary, and all had to change status through various means. Granted, the process was lengthy; nevertheless, they all managed to gain citizenship without family sponsorship.

Millions today accomplish the same. It’s not unusual. If it were so tremendously difficult, the U.S. would not “legally” grant citizenship to more immigrants than all other nations combined. I’m afraid you’re grasping at straws.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,234,166 times
Quote:
Excuse me but marriage is the only way to "easily" immigrate. What about people who are already married? Or men who don't find a US spouse as easily? Or women who don't want to marry just to come to the US? If all the illegals had a way to come legally they would have done so. After all they usually pay a lot of money to the coyotes or risk their lives crossing through the dessert.
And whats your point? That the USA should just make it as easy as crossing the street? That we should have no background checks? No med checks, no standards? No control over who should be accepted and who shouldn't be accepted?
Our system is by far easier than most and more reasonable.
Quite honestly I could care less how many are turned away, Its not a right to come to the USA. Its a gift.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim2007 View Post
The government administered 468,878 oaths of citizenship in the U.S. from Oct. 1, 2007 through April 30, 2008, up 35% from 348,591 during the same period a year earlier, said Chris Rhatigan, a spokeswoman for U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. L.A. welcomes 18,000 new citizens, a city record - USATODAY.com

Someone needs to ask the more than half million that have received U.S. citizenship since October. I'm perfectly fine with hearing that "obtaining U.S. citizenship is the hardest thing I've ever done". It should be; however, it's not impossible as hundreds of thousands obtain citizenship every year and I highly doubt they all took the same course of action which is to get married.
Citizenship and permanent residency are two different things. You have to be a permanent resident for years to apply for citizenship. It is difficult to became a permanent resident now.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They all came on student visas during the 80’s and 90’s. Their status was temporary, and all had to change status through various means. Granted, the process was lengthy; nevertheless, they all managed to gain citizenship without family sponsorship.

Millions today accomplish the same. It’s not unusual. If it were so tremendously difficult, the U.S. would not “legally” grant citizenship to more immigrants than all other nations combined. I’m afraid you’re grasping at straws.
I don't get it. Why I am grasping at straws?. I have no horse in this race. I am just stating what I know. I had a student visa in the 90's and yes there are H1 visas and then maybe a company will sponsor. In late 90's after the .com bust there were a lot less companies willing to hire H1 visas. Also I believe there is a quota of how many can be issued.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
And whats your point? That the USA should just make it as easy as crossing the street? That we should have no background checks? No med checks, no standards? No control over who should be accepted and who shouldn't be accepted?
Our system is by far easier than most and more reasonable.
Quite honestly I could care less how many are turned away, Its not a right to come to the USA. Its a gift.
I never said no controls. Obviously the status quo doesn't work. Wouldn't it be better if there was some type of work visa a person could apply for?. Then there would be some controls. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration