Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:56 PM

9 posts, read 38,290 times

Advertisements

As far as the British are concerned it is extremely difficult to obtain a Green Card. There's a visa for every letter of the alphabet but for the regular run of the mill folks an E visa is the one they need to apply for along with around $125k minimum investment plus the cost for visa attorneys etc., However, if they have a family, the children will be deported once they reach 18 This is an investment visa and cannot get them a Green Card.

As I was one of the lucky ones that managed to come here on an L visa (intra-company transfer) I still needed $125k minimum investment and for visas for myself, my husband and two children cost all told a further $50k and this is only for 12 months for which return visits to the UK to the American Embassy are required for extensions. When an extension has been granted (and its purely at the discretion of the officers) then you can have one stab at obtaining a green card which is another lengthy process.

As Australia is begging for good British workers, its the obvious choice for most.

If they are determined enough, willing to work hard, have lots of money for back up then they stand a chance.

The risks are extremely high for the US. The British are selling their homes in order to raise the capital to get over here only to be told 12 months later, after the children are settled into schools etc. that their extension has been rejected, as the business they are working so hard to make work, hasn't reached expectations and they will have to retun to the UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 07:01 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
Many Brits would love to immigrate to the USA but cannot get a green card. The lifestyle in America and the people in general are much nicer than in the UK. There is a lot of resentment against Americans in the UK, but that is normally born out of jelousy. I have spoken to many Brits who would cut off their right arm to move to America but can't.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:10 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No offense, but it's difficult to take you seriously. What you consider to be a "rant" is simple discourse. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. However, expect to be debated.

When you "quote" a poster, don't embellish. Your quotes are not my comments. I never said, "How can you be American and think that way?" I said, “As a U.S. citizen, I can’t fathom how you condone this.”
Wow. Just wow. I NEVER commented on how YOU said that. I said it was the general comment I'm getting from reading past threads. 2 Days here and I'm already the enemy .

Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Why not instead of deporting them we fine them. Give them the 10-year rule for breaking out law. After the 10-years have been completed, have people who are above the age of 18 to come back as seasonal workers? If they don't want to abide, deport them. That's a more favorable plan.
Unfavorable to me as an American-------SSN fraud is a Felony.

If I got busted for that crap------my butt would be in jail-----why should a bunch of illegals get off Scotfree for SSN fraud on top of being here illegally?

Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach babe View Post
As far as the British are concerned it is extremely difficult to obtain a Green Card. There's a visa for every letter of the alphabet but for the regular run of the mill folks an E visa is the one they need to apply for along with around $125k minimum investment plus the cost for visa attorneys etc., However, if they have a family, the children will be deported once they reach 18 This is an investment visa and cannot get them a Green Card.

As I was one of the lucky ones that managed to come here on an L visa (intra-company transfer) I still needed $125k minimum investment and for visas for myself, my husband and two children cost all told a further $50k and this is only for 12 months for which return visits to the UK to the American Embassy are required for extensions. When an extension has been granted (and its purely at the discretion of the officers) then you can have one stab at obtaining a green card which is another lengthy process.

As Australia is begging for good British workers, its the obvious choice for most.

If they are determined enough, willing to work hard, have lots of money for back up then they stand a chance.

The risks are extremely high for the US. The British are selling their homes in order to raise the capital to get over here only to be told 12 months later, after the children are settled into schools etc. that their extension has been rejected, as the business they are working so hard to make work, hasn't reached expectations and they will have to retun to the UK
Yet a bunch of insolent lawbreakers who do not speak English (Mexicans, etc) to boot as their first language actually expect amnesty---------that is a slap in my face as an American.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,849,255 times
ILLEGAL means Illegal,,,,,, or does it when it comes to ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS?

Old 07-25-2008, 02:13 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Unfavorable to me as an American-------SSN fraud is a Felony.

If I got busted for that crap------my butt would be in jail-----why should a bunch of illegals get off Scotfree for SSN fraud on top of being here illegally?
What happens to an American when he/she commits fraud? Same goes to them. That's why I think.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
What happens to an American when he/she commits fraud? Same goes to them. That's why I think.
If anybody commits fraud---------they need to be nailed.

The difference is an illegal immigrant already has at least one strike against him/her which can influence a judge to deny bail and have ICE place a hold on the perp prior to trial.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:36 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
One side says that the current US policy, system, and diversity quotas literally discourage/restrict immigration from non-minority, white, European nations.
Yep, that be it.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:50 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,515 times
For some Americans like my daughter are living in Europe because they can make a better living with their elected profession. Some prefer The system of government in certain European countries and some want to be deeper in touch with their roots in the old world. There are a lot of reasons why Americans live overseas. We are not living in the 1950's anymore but some of us are still stuck in that mind set. The western Europeans and the Japanese for the most part have no need and therefore no interest in immigrating anywhere. Almost everyone feels more comfortable in the country of their birth. If Mexico took care of business for all Mexicans you could bet there would be a hell of a lot less Mexicans legal or illegal here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration