Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 PM

439 posts, read 1,222,268 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to chime in and say that I know a couple who weren't actually denied a GC, but they did have to resubmit forms THREE TIMES because they didn't read instructions properly and ended up having to go to an InfoPass session for help. Then they had their interview and totally didn't prepare for it...so they ended up having a follow-up interview because USCIS thought they were fraudulently applying, but they passed that (they are a legit couple, just very scatterbrained).

So, make sure you double check your forms and prep for your interview!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,070,422 times
Out of pure curiosity, what nationalities did you sponsor if you don't mind saying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I also keep in mind that this country owes no one a VISA. Just as individuals we are not compelled to allow just anyone into our homes.
That's your perception. However, I believe in the libertarian principle that the government should interfere in people's lives as little as possible. If a person can find gainful employment at a reasonable wage in the United States, or if a citizen wishes to marry a foreigner and live together with them inside the country, the government should keep it's nose out of these people's business and concentrate on keeping out the terrorists, smugglers, and criminals.

A VISA is nothing but a piece of paper invented to regulate people. I find it difficult to agree with the general concept that the government can invent such a concept as a VISA and then want us to agree with the idea that they are doing immigrants a favor by "granting" them one.

A better metaphor would be that you are a tenant in an apartment building and the government is the landlord. If another tenant wants to marry or hire a person from outside the apartment complex, you actually are compelled to let them into the building--though, no not into your own personal apartment--so long as they comply with the rules and regulations set forth by the landlord.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:48 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,237,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Out of pure curiosity, what nationalities did you sponsor if you don't mind saying?

That's your perception. However, I believe in the libertarian principle that the government should interfere in people's lives as little as possible. If a person can find gainful employment at a reasonable wage in the United States, or if a citizen wishes to marry a foreigner and live together with them inside the country, the government should keep it's nose out of these people's business and concentrate on keeping out the terrorists, smugglers, and criminals.

A VISA is nothing but a piece of paper invented to regulate people. I find it difficult to agree with the general concept that the government can invent such a concept as a VISA and then want us to agree with the idea that they are doing immigrants a favor by "granting" them one.

A better metaphor would be that you are a tenant in an apartment building and the government is the landlord. If another tenant wants to marry or hire a person from outside the apartment complex, you actually are compelled to let them into the building--though, no not into your own personal apartment--so long as they comply with the rules and regulations set forth by the landlord.
Good post. However.
I disagree with your analogy. This based on the premis that the Federal Gov's primary job or responsibility is to protect this nation. That would include looking out for our best interests which include standards for immigration. Do we need 20 million uneducated low skilled immigrants? Not really.
Do we need even 1 immigrant with any kind of a criminal record? Absolutely not.
I agree with you in regards to the example of if the immigrant has a willing sponsor. In which case provided they have no criminal record, can pass biometrics and a health screening they should be granted a VISA.
All nations need some government involvment and regulation. ie laws. These laws need to be enforced. The nation when accepting an immigrant should verify their ability to exist here without becoming a burden. Thus immigration laws.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Good post. However.
I disagree with your analogy. This based on the premis that the Federal Gov's primary job or responsibility is to protect this nation. That would include looking out for our best interests which include standards for immigration.
I agree that the Federal Government's responsibility is to protect the citizens and promote the general well-being of the country. Because--like many other 1st-world nations--our birth rate is below replacement levels, and therefore insufficient to support the model of an expanding economy, we require an influx of immigrants in order to avoid the "Japan Scenario" of a falling population, a shrinking economy, and a badly aging demographic.

Quote:
Do we need 20 million uneducated low skilled immigrants? Not really.
My great-grandparents were low-skilled immigrants. They didn't have sponsors, US-citizen families, H1-b's, or investment money. They emigrated to the United States, lived in the inner cities in overcrowded tenements and had to walk across town just to get a shower. Eventually they moved into the countryside where they returned to subsistence farming as they had in the Old Country. Some of them never learned to speak more than a few words of English.

But their children went to school, learned to read, write, and speak English. Then they worked in manufacturing jobs and even made shell casings or went to war during WWII, getting us though those difficult years.

Then their children became professionals; nurses, doctors, engineers and got us through the years after..

Then THEIR children became chefs, DJ's, or somesuch nonsense job. Haha. J/K.

I think you'd hear this story repeated from most of your friends and neighbors if they talked to their elders and found out where they came from and what life was like for previous generations.

Do we need 20 million low-skilled immigrants? Maybe, maybe we need 50 million, or 1 million. Our legislators ought to hash it out, figure out what level of immigration this country really needs, and pass immigration reform according to the needs of the nation, not on fear-mongering, wild supposition, or even bleeding-heart-ism.

That's not to say I'm against letting in skilled immigrants. I see that as a win-win situation. We are in the enviable position of being able to skim off the cream of the entire world's educated elite, and we ought to take full advantage of that fact.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:33 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,856,312 times
The wife and I have an interview Jan 11th in Stockholm. I'm more nervous than she is. Thus far all our paperwork has been accepted and processed without a hitch. Residing in our appropriate countries for the last year, and only getting to see each other every 3 months has been the hardest part. But we discussed all that before ever getting married. We knew it would be a tough row to hoe...but we've managed. The worst thing is...they responded with an interview date so fast, that I've had to shuffle work, plane tickets, and she's scrambling to get a pysical appointment made and done in time.

I'll check back in next month and let you know how the interview went. If I don't chew my finger tips off so much I can't use a keyboard!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Good luck, Rance!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,380,514 times
Everything will be fine. Be honest and don't be
nervous.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 AM

24,633 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quit chewing! This is the light at the end of the tunnel for the two of you. Hang in there!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:45 AM

27,217 posts, read 46,787,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I agree that the Federal Government's responsibility is to protect the citizens and promote the general well-being of the country. Because--like many other 1st-world nations--our birth rate is below replacement levels, and therefore insufficient to support the model of an expanding economy, we require an influx of immigrants in order to avoid the "Japan Scenario" of a falling population, a shrinking economy, and a badly aging demographic.

My great-grandparents were low-skilled immigrants. They didn't have sponsors, US-citizen families, H1-b's, or investment money. They emigrated to the United States, lived in the inner cities in overcrowded tenements and had to walk across town just to get a shower. Eventually they moved into the countryside where they returned to subsistence farming as they had in the Old Country. Some of them never learned to speak more than a few words of English.

But their children went to school, learned to read, write, and speak English. Then they worked in manufacturing jobs and even made shell casings or went to war during WWII, getting us though those difficult years.

Then their children became professionals; nurses, doctors, engineers and got us through the years after..

Then THEIR children became chefs, DJ's, or somesuch nonsense job. Haha. J/K.

I think you'd hear this story repeated from most of your friends and neighbors if they talked to their elders and found out where they came from and what life was like for previous generations.

Do we need 20 million low-skilled immigrants? Maybe, maybe we need 50 million, or 1 million. Our legislators ought to hash it out, figure out what level of immigration this country really needs, and pass immigration reform according to the needs of the nation, not on fear-mongering, wild supposition, or even bleeding-heart-ism.

That's not to say I'm against letting in skilled immigrants. I see that as a win-win situation. We are in the enviable position of being able to skim off the cream of the entire world's educated elite, and we ought to take full advantage of that fact.
Great post!

I wanted to add that I don't understand why E2 visa holders can't apply for preminent residence and go from there to citizenship.

They have to have a business and hire Americans to work for them...and still they have no other rights than people who are here on a tourist visa!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,856,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Quit chewing! This is the light at the end of the tunnel for the two of you. Hang in there!
Thats easy for you to say!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration