Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Rainrock makes my point strongly: there is no quantifiable reason to include the Lehigh Valley in any concept of "Greater Philadelphia."
It is a job engine that defines a metropolitan area.

Thus if only 1/2 of 1% of Lehigh Valley working residents work in Philadelphia, then Philadelphia is completely irrelevant to the Lehigh Valley.
As a cultural engine I think it is probably even MORE irrelevant.
Same Metro CMSA. Napa county commuters to Santa Clara county. 232. 2x as far distance wise as Philly/Allentown 1/2 the commuters.....

Keep in mind though that Bucks, Berks,Montgomery are huge job creators and close to 30,000 people commute both ways between Lehigh County and those 3 Philadelphia suburban counties. Not insignificant numbers by any means.

I would surmise as upper bucks & montgomery counties continue to fill in that eventually that Lehigh Valley will be sucked into the Philly metro. If Philly had the PR machine, desire and ambition of its peers(Bay Area-DC/Bal) it probably could have already somehow encaptured the LV into its CMSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:02 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Default History of ABE, and nearby Metro Areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I would surmise as upper bucks & montgomery counties continue to fill in that eventually that Lehigh Valley will be sucked into the Philly metro. If Philly had the PR machine, desire and ambition of its peers(Bay Area-DC/Bal) it probably could have already somehow encaptured the LV into its CMSA.
When the Metro Areas were created in 1950 it was Lehigh, Northampton, and Warren County. They added Carbon county in 1973. Then in 1992 they transferred Warren County to Newark. Than after 2000 they transferred Warren County back to Allentown Bethlehem Easton.

Pike County PA only has 2 small boroughs and 11 townships, it was classified with Newburgh, NY up until the year 2000 (62 miles away) by Interstate 84. After the year 2000 it was lumped with Newark, NJ (73 miles away) but there is no interstate highway connecting the two. So the inner workings of the census bureau are difficult to decipher.

I still think that Monroe county will be the next decision they make next year. It seems illogical to call Pike county part of Newark when Monroe county is connected to Newark by an Interstate 80. But if you do that, then you have to make Warren County part of Newark as well (and remove it from ABE).

In 1992, they transferred Salem, Atlantic, and Cape May counties in NJ to Philadelphia.

Basically they do their statistics and make the decision, and you can register your compliments or complaints, but they don't care.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 03-01-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
It seems illogical to call Pike county part of Newark.

It's actually pretty silly to call ANYTHING in NJ "part of Newark" except perhaps Newark.
Certainly more people living in Morris County work in New York City than work in Newark.
Possibly more people living in NEWARK work in New York City than in Newark.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:35 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
I seriously think the Lehigh Valley would want to keep it's sovereignty instead of any sort of alignment with the Philadelphia metro area.

There really isn't any need to.

On the other hand bringing train service back to the area would be a really good thing not just service to Philadelphia but also the NYC area.

Quote:
Same Metro CMSA. Napa county commuters to Santa Clara county. 232. 2x as far distance wise as Philly/Allentown 1/2 the commuters.....

Keep in mind though that Bucks, Berks,Montgomery are huge job creators and close to 30,000 people commute both ways between Lehigh County and those 3 Philadelphia suburban counties. Not insignificant numbers by any means.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Default Quiz

Quote:
I find it fascinating that Lehigh Valleyites would rather NOT be associated with one of the top urban cities in the usa not to metion the top 4 wealthiest counties in Pa. (Chester, Montgomery, Bucks, Delaware).

Certainly, if I am more than 300 miles from here, I say I am from the Philadelphia area. But for statistical purposes, it is the census bureau's decision which they will make in 2003. That decision does influence many government decisions about reimbursement, and funding. The decision is made without any emotion, just based on commuting patterns primarily.

I know that Lehigh and Northampton county were once part of Buck's county, but I can't help but feel like I am in a much wealthier place when I am in Buck's county.

--------------------------
Here is an interesting statistic. I'm looking at the 1920 Census
11.7% Allentown foreign born
21.7% Bethlehem foreign born
21.8% Philadelphia foreign born

As a puzzle, from this group of five countries, name the top 3 countries of birth for each of the municipalities (Allentown, Bethlehem, Philadelphia).
Austria, Hungary, Italy, Ireland ,Russia

I realize the question is very difficult by itself, but big extra bonus points if you get them in the correct order for each city.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM

Default Internal immigration

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
Being approx 90 miles from NYC there are alot of influences from the NYC metro area and not all of them are good.
I think Lehigh Valley, and Philadelphia City are both getting internal immigration from NYC area.

Although we often think of Philadelphia has high density, in reality half of the city is lower density than center city Allentown. And Philadelphia is very low density compared to Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. I think Philadelphia is viewed as inexpensive housing compared to Brooklyn.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 12,301 times
Default Upper Bucks is mix of LV, Philly and NYC metro not some govt state market map.

interesting far northern bucks is really more associated with the lehigh valley! Im not talking about Quakertown... Springfield, Durham, Haycock, Nockamixon, Regielsville, Tinicum and Bridgetown Townships. These all have 610 area code.. Also Service Electric from the Lehigh Valley.. yes both philly and most of the nyc channels only Reigelsville has RCN... that's another story.. Its also interesting that most of LV has not a clue where any town in upper bucks is located with the exception of Quakertown.. Keep in mind these places are within 10 miles of Easton and Bethlehem in a totally different world it could it be windy roads that give the impression it further than what it really is.. probably one factor. Most people here shop in LV, Quaketown, Doylestown, Phillipsburg, Flemington NJ..

Old 03-07-2012, 04:47 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
I am not part of this group. I know where Quakertown is, Sellersville, Telford, Souderton ect. I am not an insular small minded jabrony. I am certain there are others as well who do not fit into this category!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I am also familiar with those Bucks county areas. Just because they aren't talked about much doesn't mean they are unknown. Southern Lehigh plays Palisades in sports. I drive that a way to get to Rice's, Doylestown and Lake Nockamixon. I'm sure more people would like to know about those area's so it would be great if you posted more.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
This is somewhat outdated but gives you an idea the county to county workforce coming and going. Based on 2000 Census.

Lehigh County Residences-Where they Work. Outgoing

Lehigh- 110,000
Northampton- 18,040
Montgomery-4,880
Bucks- 3,976
Berks- 3,266
Philadelphia- 578
Chester-464
Hunterdon-435
NY County-302

Lehigh County Employment- Where are they coming from.Incoming

Lehigh- 110,302
Northampton-30,108
Berks-6,538
Carbon-4,663
Bucks-2,655
Montgomery-2,004
Schuylkill-1,742
Philadelphia-293
NY-42
Whats interesting is that Lehigh County had a 6% commuter rate with the Philly MSA back in the 2000 census. I wonder if Lehigh County can pass the 15% commuter threshold and make the Lehigh Valley officially part of the Philly CSA. I guess we have to wait and see when they update the new statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley